Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Its promising we were willing to put up such an amount for a player. Its not hard to see why he would chose spurs over us at the moment but the ambition was there and good to see.

He didn't get the choice.

Ok he didn't get a say in the matter. The main point is we were willing to spend that amount on one player. I am pretty sure if we did get him the board wouldn't have turned round to Keegan and said "Ok Kev, thats your lot. Good luck next season".

Ok he didn't get a say in the matter. The main point is we were willing to spend that amount on one player. I am pretty sure if we did get him the board wouldn't have turned round to Keegan and said "Ok Kev, thats your lot. Good luck next season".

We would have bought him basically but there were too many strings attached.

Seems a bit hypocritical that spiderman comes through the door as our next signing then!

Seems a bit hypocritical that spiderman comes through the door as our next signing then!

It's a web of deceit man!  bluerazz.gif

You think around a £10m net spend this year will be a successful transfer window, or are you judging it on other things?

What do you think about the possibility of us spending £10 million net?  Do you think a £10 million net spend is poor?

I think that while only a few years ago £10m net would have had you in the top 4 or 5 spenders, this year I'd guess there'll only be 4 or 5 premiership clubs which don't spend at least around that. Last year there were only 7 clubs which spent less than £8m, and 2 of them were Arsenal & Chelsea due to a couple of high value sales.

I think that while only a few years ago £10m net would have had you in the top 4 or 5 spenders, this year I'd guess there'll only be 4 or 5 premiership clubs which don't spend at least around that. Last year there were only 7 clubs which spent less than £8m, and 2 of them were Arsenal & Chelsea due to a couple of high value sales.

Fair enough but I'm not bothered how much we spend as long as we get what we need.

Bassedas: Gutierrez will be a superhero on Tyneside

Jul 6 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

SPIDERMAN has been backed to maintain his superhero status at Newcastle — by the Magpies’ last Argentine import.

Christian Bassedas is confident that Jonas Gutierrez can succeed where he ultimately failed, and spin out a successful career in the Premier League.

Having watched Gutierrez rise to prominence in Argentina with his own former club Velez Sarsfield, Bassedas has kept a keen eye on the winger’s progress at Real Mallorca.

And the one-time United midfielder believes his compatriot is perfectly suited to the physical rigours of the Premier League.

“I think Jonas will have success because he is very good physically — maybe not the strongest but very quick down the flanks and hard-running,” Bassedas told the Sunday Sun.

“He gets up and down the wing without problem and puts in nice crosses. He will be an interesting addition to English football.

“He doesn’t look the characteristic South American player in my opinion. His other nickname is ‘greyhound’ because he never stops running.”

But Bassedas, having spent three years at St James’s Park and the last three seasons commentating on English football for Argentine TV, knows that both fitness and flair are required to succeed in our top flight.

And that’s why the memory of Argentina’s victory over Brazil last month answers any lingering doubt in Bassedas’s mind over Gutierrez’s prospects over here.

“He played really well for the national team in the World Cup qualifier against Brazil.

“It was a surprise because he had hardly played international football and is not such a big name here in Argentina.

“But the manager trusted him to take care of the Brazilian right-back, Maicom, and he did a really good job.”

And Bassedas, whose struggle to adapt to the Premier League was never down to a lack of commitment, added: “I will be jealous if Jonas is a new hero for Newcastle!

“But if the team and the city are doing well, I will be happy.”

The amazing secret of United’s wing wizard Gutierrez

Jul 6 2008 by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

Jonas Gutierrez

IF boyhood maketh the man, then Newcastle fans should have no worries about Jonas Gutierrez being another foreign import lacking heart.

A series of overseas signings have come, seen and conspicuously failed to conquer the challenge of adapting to English football at St James’s Park.

And Gutierrez’s chequered recent past at Real Mallorca — they have accused him of illegally tearing up his contract, having seen him refuse to play against Real Madrid last season when a move to England first seemed likely — may not inspire confidence that he can buck that trend.

But it should not be a lack of fibre — moral or physical — which Argentinian winger Gutierrez becomes remembered for on Tyneside.

Not after the incredible against-the-odds battle he won to become a professional footballer.

Named after the biblical Jonah who lived for three days and three nights inside a whale, Jonas had to prove himself a survivor long before he earned the “greyhound” nickname he enjoys in Argentina today.

For he was barely beyond a toddler when his mother, Monica, noticed something different — and worrying — about him.

“When I was a very small boy, I developed a paralysis down the left side of my body,” Gutierrez, now 25, reveals.

Ominously, what doctors in Buenos Aires hoped would be a temporary condition persisted, leaving Monica Gutierrez seeking advice on how to help her son.

“After a while, the doctors advised her that I should try to practice some sport or sport as therapy,” Gutierrez adds. “So I began to play football.”

That beginning was as a five-year-old with the junior “babies” section of local club Estudiantes.

And what therapy football proved to be.

Devoting practically every waking hour to the game, Gutierrez gradually overcame his condition and made a name for himself at junior level.

After Estudiantes, the youngster played in the junior ranks of six other clubs — including Argentinos Juniors and River Plate — before signing for Velez Sarsfield as a teenager.

He scored on his professional debut came as a substiute against Uruguayan side Penarol in South America’s Copa Mercosur a few days after the terrorist attacks on September 11.

And he knows who to thank for the completion of an incredible journey from a doctor’s surgery in Buenos Aires to the Premier League.

“It’s all down to my mother.”

And Bassedas, whose struggle to adapt to the Premier League was never down to a lack of commitment, added: “I will be jealous if Jonas is a new hero for Newcastle!

Very gracious from Bassedas.   :aww:  I can't remember much about his time here....didn't he break a leg on the US tour or something?

yip.....read somewhere he was here for 3 years....was he ? seemed a lot less

Very gracious from Bassedas.  :aww:  I can't remember much about his time here....didn't he break a leg on the US tour or something?

And Bassedas, whose struggle to adapt to the Premier League was never down to a lack of commitment, added: I will be jealous if Jonas is a new hero for Newcastle!

But if the team and the city are doing well, I will be happy.

Very gracious from Bassedas.   :aww:  I can't remember much about his time here....didn't he break a leg on the US tour or something?

Pretty much straight after he got here, came with a good reputation but never really adapted.

He was showcased in the recent 0-0 draw between Brazil and Argentina, who brought him in specifically for this game.

In recent matches between the two Brazil have got at Argentina left back Gabriel Heinze - so Gutierrez came in to play in front of him, work up and down the flank and take care of Brazil right back Maicon.

His presence was one of the reasons the game was something of a stalemate.

He's not a tricky winger, the type who can beat three men in five metres, because his stride is too long for that. He's tall, powerful, has terrific engine and is naturally right-footed, but more often he plays on the left.

Only just 25, with three good seasons at Mallorca behind him, he's the type of player whose physical dynamism is more suited to the game in Europe rather than in Argentina, where he played for Velez Sarsfield. Unlikely to be a star, likely to put in solid service.

That's what the BBC's South American reporter Tim Vickery had to say about him.

I like the sound of all that, and although they say he isn't very tricky he apparently has a terrific burst of pace which is always very useful in the premier league. Looking forward to see him feature for us.

The description of Jonas Gutierrez's playing style reminds me about Florent Malouda - hard running, hard working ultra fit winger who puts good crosses in.

Malouda failed, I hope Gutierrez won't.

The description of Jonas Gutierrez's playing style reminds me about Florent Malouda - hard running, hard working ultra fit winger who puts good crosses in.

Malouda failed, I hope Gutierrez won't.

Ridiculous statement.

Malouda was never hard running or hard working. Always been work shy and doesn't have any of the size, strength or enginge that Gutierrez appears to have.

Besides it's such a random comparison. Malouda is a smallish left footed winger from the French league while Gutierrez is a big right footed winger from the Spanish league. Why the heck did you go with that comparison?

He was showcased in the recent 0-0 draw between Brazil and Argentina, who brought him in specifically for this game.

In recent matches between the two Brazil have got at Argentina left back Gabriel Heinze - so Gutierrez came in to play in front of him, work up and down the flank and take care of Brazil right back Maicon.

His presence was one of the reasons the game was something of a stalemate.

He's not a tricky winger, the type who can beat three men in five metres, because his stride is too long for that. He's tall, powerful, has terrific engine and is naturally right-footed, but more often he plays on the left.

Only just 25, with three good seasons at Mallorca behind him, he's the type of player whose physical dynamism is more suited to the game in Europe rather than in Argentina, where he played for Velez Sarsfield. Unlikely to be a star, likely to put in solid service.

That's what the BBC's South American reporter Tim Vickery had to say about him.

That looks about right.

Guest MaetihS

You know which other South American player never stops running? Carlos f***ing Tevez.

I'd love to hear Maetihs complain about Tevez not being a 'flair' player.

Tevez is hard running but has skills. From what i see, Jonas is like Emerton. Hard running and do the simple things right but do not expect him to a flair player like Ginola or Robert. I say he is like a bigger version of Milner with (sad to say) less skills which is not really inspiring. Think he will fill in as one of the right/left backs if needed cos his workrate and defensive qualities are his main plusses.

You know which other South American player never stops running? Carlos f***ing Tevez.

I'd love to hear Maetihs complain about Tevez not being a 'flair' player.

Tevez is hard running but has skills. From what i see, Jonas is like Emerton. Hard running and do the simple things right but do not expect him to a flair player like Ginola or Robert. I say he is like a bigger version of Milner with (sad to say) less skills which is not really inspiring. Think he will fill in as one of the right/left backs if needed cos his workrate and defensive qualities are his main plusses.

Hard running, quick, decent cross, lack of silky skills.

Sounds like a Gillespie type to me