Jonas Gutierrez signed from Mallorca on 5 year deal

magorific

Guest icemanblue

He's got long hair, wears his socks pulled right up and colour codes his boots.

My hero. :smitten:

One of the most impressive debuts I've ever seen. Had he scored, it would have been perfect.

Guest sicko2ndbest

http://img366.imageshack.us/img366/3351/suzukihl5.jpg

Web-slinging. :D

blatantly

That was a firmer touch away from us winning. Great tackle by Vidic but Jonas got the first touch. If it had been harder it would have been a penalty and probably down to 10 men.

His tracking back was immense, loved it when he just picked it off Giggs and played to straight to Martins another time, another time their striker was tracking back and Jonas was just shrugging him off with ease then decided to speed up and he got taken out.

Yeah, looked class yesterday. I don't think he's the most skillful with the ball at his feet like Ginola was, but he's so fast and direct that this more than compensates. His willingness to run at people and his endless energy mean that he'll hopefully be a great success here.

Just watching the Keegan interview on BBC and he said an interesting remark that lays to bed some questions regarding who is getting the players; or perhaps it doesn't, just who found/picked Jonas. -subject to Keegans approval I'd guess.

Commentator - referring to spiderman celebration and asking Keegan if he'd let him do it.

Keegan: When Dennis Wise and Tony Jimenez told me they'd got this guy called Spiderman I looked him up, so I've seen the celebration, (starts to laugh), I've also seen the fact he's only got about 4 goals in 90 starts so...  (something along the lines of, 'hope he gets more chances to do it here.')

Can't quite picture Keegan getting off the phone and going to Youtube like. :lol:

Yeah, he's got a lot of strength in him.

As to who found him, I don't think it's relevant beyond being a point of mild interest. It's hardly a secret that Wise and Jiminez are there to help identify players so if they've identified Gutierrez then well done to them. The key point is that Keegan has the final say.

Alan Hansesn's Column

Despite Deco’s performance, the most impressive display from a new summer signing had to be Newcastle’s Jonas Gutierrez. The Argentine was terrific against Manchester United. I hadn’t seen too much of this lad but Kevin Keegan seems to have picked up an absolute gem. I liked the way he both attacked and more importantly defended. He had terrific pace, excellent on the ball and worked as hard as anyone on the pitch. This performance was particularly impressive when you consider it was his first Premier League match and it was at away at Old Trafford of all places. Both Gutierrez and his compatriot Fabricio Coloccini performed well. They both looked big, powerful players but in particular Gutierrez stood out above all the new boys due to his display over the weekend.

As to who found him, I don't think it's relevant beyond being a point of mild interest. It's hardly a secret that Wise and Jiminez are there to help identify players so if they've identified Gutierrez then well done to them. The key point is that Keegan has the final say.

Bang on.

Yeah, he's got a lot of strength in him.

What gets me is that if his performances for Mallorca were anything like his debut yesterday it`s strange how his name has not been linked to any `big clubs` before? I remember him being linked with Portsmouth last season but never one of the big guns in the italian or spanish league

The first I`d really heard of Jonas like the majority of fans was when he signed on the dotted line for us.....no complaints here like anyway. Seems he went missing under the radar for many clubs......

Very impressive debut.  Loved seeing his work rate and the amount of backtracking and defending he did to help protect the defense. And he really is fast....blew past a couple of Manure players quite easily.

Only one smudge on his debut.....whenever he felt a defender was closing on him from behind he reached back to push them off, which only gave the defender something to grab on to.  Looked like he was doing a "Madison Cycling" event.