Fabricio Coloccini signed from Deportivo La Coruña on 5 year deal

Cronky

It's incredible how people will just blatantly misread things and get angry about them. :lol:

People aren't necessarily angry about that, though, are they? The disillusionment is wider-reaching. Though it's correct that Keegan said a couple of players in the next two weeks, the fact is, it's entirely possible that we'll have no one in within the next two weeks, and be hearing exactly the same quotes from Keegan about the final two weeks. I don't think it's particularly funny.

Does it not worry people that he is our top CB target and we do not rate him at more then 7mill.

Think you're getting confused with the fee, don't know where you're getting £7 million from.  We've offered 11 million Euro's (£8.7 million) plus 1 million Euro's on apearances (£9.5 million total).  That's the fee they asked for and now they want more.  Its not about the price, its about how they're upping the fee after initially agreeing to it.

Does it not worry people that he is our top CB target and we do not rate him at more then 7mill.

That was the asking price. It's not rocket science mate.

An asking price we won't pay..

Skirge, i'll simplify this for you.

We bid, they accepted, we were about to tie up the deal when they raised the amount they wanted.

I don't think it's a case of penny pinching, it's a matter of principal.

I'd rather lose face and get the player in.

I can understand why people are annoyed about it but the alternative is to look strong and miss out on the player. That's what it comes down to.

as Sir Harold of Norway would say,  :clap:

We bid, they accepted, we were about to tie up the deal when they raised the amount they wanted.

I can understand why people are annoyed about it but the alternative is to look strong and miss out on the player. That's what it comes down to.

agree, if we buy an equally good CB, it's all good.. but in the state that we're in, I somehow doubt that we can attract a better defender than Colo

When Keegan came back, he said he was very impressed with the vision and ideas of "the owner".  This must have been a big reason he took the job.  Now, anyone with half a footballing brain knows we need more players - Ashley must have promised them back then?

One of two things will happen IMO 1) all this hype are not spending is bollocks and a few shocks are in the pipeline or 2) KK has been lied to and he will soon be off.

If the later happens (through lack of spending and investment), we are trully fucked IMO.  I never signed up to the whole "KK has 100m to spend" club but IF and it is still and IF we don't get further players in the Mr Ashley is going to be a very very unpopular owner with Keegan, the players (enough have complianed about the squad - you have to ask why - are they seeing no encouraging signs??) and most importantly the fans (who keep the club alive).  Not to mention the press scumbags who really will have a field day.

In our position, we have to spend.  So what if its over the odds, we need the fucking players.  Simple as that.  Time for the board to realise that and fast otherwise we will be no better than last season and really in the shit.  Mike will make no money and can fuck off back to selling footy shirts.

Lets see what happens.

Guest shagthefluff

feel torn on this subject now. we need quality players in quickly but we also should stick to our principles and depor have acted stupidly.on one hand i hope we stand firm and the other i want us to sign him for the greater price. all in all its a shame the agent said anything - i hate these transfers that are conducted throught the media. :frantic:

Jesus wept.

If we miss out on Coloccini it is not the boards fault. We agreed a fee, we discussed personal terms, Deportivo upped what they were asking and quite rightly we're refusing to rise to it. That's a pretty low way to go about transfer dealings and I for one am glad we're not folding like we did under Shepherd.

You mean like when the same team tried to squeeze us for £11m for Luque?

Guest sicko2ndbest

The should we pay, shouldnt we pay arguement comes down to this

1) If he is integral to our plans and a very high priority in terms of our dealings, we need to buy him regardless of the presidents greed

2) If he is high on the list along with other potential targets of similar quality, for that position, we should move on

Thats how i see it anyway!

agree, if we buy an equally good CB, it's all good.. but in the state that we're in, I somehow doubt that we can attract a better defender than Colo

Spot on.

When Keegan came back, he said he was very impressed with the vision and ideas of "the owner".  This must have been a big reason he took the job.  Now, anyone with half a footballing brain knows we need more players - Ashley must have promised them back then?

One of two things will happen IMO 1) all this hype are not spending is bollocks and a few shocks are in the pipeline or 2) KK has been lied to and he will soon be off.

If the later happens (through lack of spending and investment), we are trully f***ed IMO.  I never signed up to the whole "KK has 100m to spend" club but IF and it is still and IF we don't get further players in the Mr Ashley is going to be a very very unpopular owner with Keegan, the players (enough have complianed about the squad - you have to ask why - are they seeing no encouraging signs??) and most importantly the fans (who keep the club alive).  Not to mention the press scumbags who really will have a field day.

In our position, we have to spend.  So what if its over the odds, we need the f***ing players.  Simple as that.  Time for the board to realise that and fast otherwise we will be no better than last season and really in the s***.  Mike will make no money and can f*** off back to selling footy shirts.

Lets see what happens.

You've discounted the third possibility, which is equally, if not more, probable- players of the quality we require don't want to come to a club that has become firmly entrenched in mediocrity, can offer no European football, and is based somewhere they'd probably rather not play, when compared to, say, London.

Jesus wept.

If we miss out on Coloccini it is not the boards fault. We agreed a fee, we discussed personal terms, Deportivo upped what they were asking and quite rightly we're refusing to rise to it. That's a pretty low way to go about transfer dealings and I for one am glad we're not folding like we did under Shepherd.

You mean like when the same team tried to squeeze us for £11m for Luque?

Did the same side manage to up our bid for Luque from around £7 million to £9.5 million?

They need the money from the deal more than we need Coloccini. There are plenty more fish in the sea and the minute we turn our backs and look elsewhere i've no doubt the price will drop again.

We've, supposedly, been after him for 3 months. Is it really worth losing the player for the sake of a million or two. I know it's still a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things, it's relatively little.

If Keegan thinks Coloccini is the bloke we're going to build our defence around then we should cough up imo. If Ashley's ego takes a dent in the process - so be it.

Guest shagthefluff

The should we pay, shouldnt we pay arguement comes down to this

1) If he is integral to our plans and a very high priority in terms of our dealings, we need to buy him regardless of the presidents greed

2) If he is high on the list along with other potential targets of similar quality, for that position, we should move on

Thats how i see it anyway!

completely agree-the way the depor president has acted ia beyond annoying

They need the money from the deal more than we need Coloccini. There are plenty more fish in the sea and the minute we turn our backs and look elsewhere i've no doubt the price will drop again.

We've, supposedly, been after him for 3 months. Is it really worth losing the player for the sake of a million or two. I know it's still a lot of money but in the grand scheme of things, it's relatively little.

If Keegan thinks Coloccini is the bloke we're going to build our defence around then we should cough up imo. If Ashley's ego takes a dent in the process - so be it.

100% agree. I don't like the idea of the club being messed around by Deportivo but at the end of the day and in the long term Coloccini would likely be worth the extra hassle.

If the later happens (through lack of spending and investment), we are trully f***ed IMO.  I never signed up to the whole "KK has 100m to spend" club but IF and it is still and IF we don't get further players in the Mr Ashley is going to be a very very unpopular owner with Keegan, the players (enough have complianed about the squad - you have to ask why - are they seeing no encouraging signs??) and most importantly the fans (who keep the club alive).  Not to mention the press scumbags who really will have a field day.

In our position, we have to spend.  So what if its over the odds, we need the f***ing players.  Simple as that.  Time for the board to realise that and fast otherwise we will be no better than last season and really in the s***.  Mike will make no money and can f*** off back to selling footy shirts.

Lets see what happens.

You've discounted the third possibility, which is equally, if not more, probable- players of the quality we require don't want to come to a club that has become firmly entrenched in mediocrity, can offer no European football, and is based somewhere they'd probably rather not play, when compared to, say, London.

Not really, they would come if we showed some urgency, did not piss about with fees (whilst others come in as well) and tried to do it all on the cheap - that definately would put quality players off coming.  Its a sellers market, simple.  You pay more, you get more.  I know it has not worked in the past and I am not saying go sign a load of last club saloon players but we need to show a bit more ambition and balls - people notice that. 

I just think it's unfortunate that the agent went public with this, since if it was done behind closed doors we could have upped the price without losing face.

Having said that, this could be a masterstroke from the agent and enable the transfer. Time will tell.

Lets see what happens.

Not really, they would come if we showed some urgency, did not piss about with fees (whilst others come in as well) and tried to do it all on the cheap - that definately would put quality players off coming.  Its a sellers market, simple.  You pay more, you get more.  I know it has not worked in the past and I am not saying go sign a load of last club saloon players but we need to show a bit more ambition and balls - people notice that. 

We should be in for Robinho, and just make it seem like we're being really, really urgent, in that case. Like that time Ronaldinho signed for City over AC Milan because City bid more and were more keen to get him.

To be perfectly frank, I find that attitude bewildering, utterly head-shaking.

Ooooh, the nasty Spaniard didn't play fair. So what? Do we want him, or not? It's not like we can go and buy another Colocinni somewhere else. We might buy someone similar, but (for instance) Burdisso for 6m pounds or Colicinni for 11m and a bumming, I'll take Coloccini. And before we say "That nasty Spaniard, he screwed us in the past", well, maybe someone at the club should have thought of that when considering a bid and factored it into the formulation of said bid?

And as I said in the poll thread - in the current market he's still a good buy at the newer, inflated price let alone the bargain original quote.

Agreed. Our negotiating position is clearly not strong enough this window to turn our back on a deal like this...Time is getting on.

I just think it's unfortunate that the agent went public with this, since if it was done behind closed doors we could have upped the price without losing face.

Having said that, this could be a masterstroke from the agent and enable the transfer. Time will tell.

Couldn't agree more. In an ideal world, the transfer negotiations would have remained confidential.

Unfortunately, Coloccini's agent has made things very public and is attempting to force the transfer through - which may, or may not, work in our favour.  :undecided: