Hertha Berlin 1 - 0 Newcastle - 01/08/08 - post match reaction from page 17

Skirge

Thought we did alright. It was an onslaught in the first half from us with no end product. Smith is not a footballer and should be sured for being a con man. Amobi is injured cos he doesnt want to move away from "As you like it". You can bet you bottom dollar Viduka will be injured next season (probably around Xmas time when the weather is much nicer in Oz) and if you look at Owen I don't think he has ever put a full season in since he was a pro due to some injury. So going off that and the fact that that Oba is injured (and just lost his mum) I am looking at the likes of Crouch going to Portsmouth and thinking we should have been in for him. I would be looking to bring Sib back at this rate.

Bottom line is our squad is not balanced and not big enough and Ashley should be getting his cheque book out now. If we only sign another two players this transfer window I will be very dissapointed but the way keagan is talking the transfers are fast going from 4-5 in January (BEFORE we released a load of other players) to 2 now.

We have just over two weeks to get the players we need which is worrying.

An onslaught?

Yeah we ran riot in the first half loads of attacking play put no end product in the final third. Guiterrez, Milner and Zoggie were all getting forward.

Not sure we quite ran riot. If you want to see what running riot is, watch what happens to us in Manchester in a couple of weeks.

Yeah but it was easy to see we were the BETTER team by a long shot in the first half just NO END PRODUCT due to the con man called Smith and the injury-fainer-cos-I-don't-wanna-move Ameobi. Like I said even Sib (a cheap signing) is better than those two put together. Our transfer team need to pull their finger out fast or we will have the same kind of season as last. We just smack at lacking ambition at the moment which is depressing.

Will Coloccini free up Taylor to cover right-back, or will they be playing together (dropping Faye)?

In that case I would prefer Faye to be our holding midfielder instead of Butt. Personally, I think Faye is undroppable unless we get two new first team DC's, which is highly unlikely..

I agree, but I'm not sure KK does. Not seen anything to suggest he rates Faye as a midfielder (although I admit his opportunities to put him there have been limited). Also think Taylor will keep his place if Coloccini comes in.

That'd be a very disappointing, yet pretty predictable. Faye's a much better defender than Taylor; to say we'd be 'aerially dominant' with a CB pairing of Colo and Faye would be an understatement.

Really poor overall performance.

Smith and Amoebi need getting rid of ASAP.

Milner has no place on that wing until he learns how to cross the ball.

Butt was really poor tonight I thought, didn't track back for the goal and offered nothing oging forward.

Cacapa also looked very suspect again.

Milner looked lively to the naked eye, but in actual fact was shit.

Guthrie looks tidy in a non-threatening sort of way.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

still created our best opening though

Who?

milner at the end, unfortunately he only had smith in the box though

Unfortunately it's typical Milner though. Looks great until it's time to deliver the final pass or strike on goal. He must have hit 20 crosses today, and I don't think he found a Newcastle player with one. The final one which he ballooned high and slow sums him up really.

Milner:11 crosses 0 found one of our players.

Who's to find tbf? The pair of clowns in the middle don't even look to attack the ball. You could have Beckham swinging them in and they'd still be marked out of the game by anyone who owns a pair of boots.

I think Verlaine is right about the similarities between Guthrie and Butt, actually. Which surprises me, as though I wasn't sure what kind of player Guthrie was, I certainly didn't think he was like that. That's not to say I think he's bad (been promising so far IMO), more that I didn't know he would be so similar in playing style.

Hopefully if Guthrie is going to play it's instead of Butt, and not alongside him. KK might see him as a natural successor, given his comments about the player a few weeks back.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

Who?

Unfortunately it's typical Milner though. Looks great until it's time to deliver the final pass or strike on goal. He must have hit 20 crosses today, and I don't think he found a Newcastle player with one. The final one which he ballooned high and slow sums him up really.

Who's to find tbf? The pair of clowns in the middle don't even look to attack the ball. You could have Beckham swinging them in and they'd still be marked out of the game by anyone who owns a pair of boots.

That's fair enough, but Beckham's crosses would still look dangerous.

Milner looked lively to the naked eye, but in actual fact was s***.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

Who?

I am convinced Alan Smith won't head a ball because it will "mess his hair up". Dwain Chambers could do his job better and be much quicker but also on about a 10th of his alleged wages. He's embarassing.

Jonas looks F-A-S-T

Who?

Would still be nice to get it past the first man.

Tbf there were a few decent crosses in the first half, they were far worse in the second half.

My view of Milner is that he is a hit and hope crosser. He'll swing them in, some good, some bad, but he usually doesn't have much idea who he's aiming them at.

Coloccini (if....) will surely join as our no.1 centre back and an excellent figure to develop the defence around. I could at a push live with Beye, Colo, Faye and Enrique but we really need another CB, Burdisso would be fantastic.

re. tonights game,

Smith and Ameobi = the further these clueless, talentless c***s are from the squad the better. To a lesser degree the same applies to Milner, he's as much a winger or creative player in any capacity as my left nut. N'zogbia needs his face if he doesn't win a place in the midfield next season on the opposite flank to spiderman

Duff, decent game, looks sharp. Happy for him to be on the bench next season and come on after 70 mins or so

I have had a fucking shite day at work.

I clean forgot about the match and now having read the comments am thoroughly depressed  :weep:

It wasn't that bad, just got worse and worse after half time and people only remember that bit.

I have had a f***ing s**** day at work.

I clean forgot about the match and now having read the comments am thoroughly depressed  :weep:

It wasn't that bad, just got worse and worse after half time and people only remember that bit.

we'd looked about as dangerous as bath water all game though

Tbf there were a few decent crosses in the first half, they were far worse in the second half.

My view of Milner is that he is a hit and hope crosser. He'll swing them in, some good, some bad, but he usually doesn't have much idea who he's aiming them at.

Yep spot on

Guthrie problem is that he poses no carry threat going forward. If our CMs get it, you know they're going to pass cause they can't run with it like when we had dyer/jenas in the side.

Butt can't play as a sitter when in a midfield 2, he needs someone in their to do his running contributing forward as he can't get up or down. This is exacerbated by Guthrie not getting up either, just playing in the middle or deep.

Milner can't cross, has little/no off the ball movement and his first touch on the run is generally poor.

Geremi can cover RB if he stops diving in. Reminds me when solano filled in their. Nothing great defensively but able to play his way out of trouble.

Zoggy's got a good attitude. Did well at LB. Nothing amazing, but good for him.

Guti looks quality. I'd like to see him play a little higher up the field, and try a few runs in behind his full back in teh space between CB and FB. Still early days tho.

Cacapa needs more belief in himself. He goes in for challenges the same way as Rozehnal used to. As if he's only going in because he knows he should, not because he knows he's gonna batter the ball into the stands at all costs.

Guthrie problem is that he poses no carry threat going forward. If our CMs get it, you know they're going to pass cause they can't run with it like when we had dyer/jenas in the side.

Butt can't play as a sitter when in a midfield 2, he needs someone in their to do his running contributing forward as he can't get up or down. This is exacerbated by Guthrie not getting up either, just playing in the middle or deep.

Milner can't cross, has little/no off the ball movement and his first touch on the run is generally poor.

Geremi can cover RB if he stops diving in. Reminds me when solano filled in their. Nothing great defensively but able to play his way out of trouble.

Zoggy's got a good attitude. Did well at LB. Nothing amazing, but good for him.

Guti looks quality. I'd like to see him play a little higher up the field, and try a few runs in behind his full back in teh space between CB and FB. Still early days tho.

Cacapa needs more belief in himself. He goes in for challenges the same way as Rozehnal used to. As if he's only going in because he knows he should, not because he knows he's gonna batter the ball into the stands at all costs.

which isn't good enough