Sir Bobby: I'm Dying

Leazes1986

Sir Bobby Robson’s optimism ahead of new term

Aug 7 2008 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

SIR BOBBY ROBSON has revealed he is optimistic about Newcastle United’s chances of success this season under Kevin Keegan.

The North East legend was in attendance for United’s 2-2 draw with his another of his old clubs, PSV Eindhoven, at St James’s Park last night.

And he admits he was impressed as Newcastle stormed into a 2-0 lead thanks to goals from Steven Taylor and Danny Guthrie.

Sir Bobby told the Chronicle: “There are still things to work on, but I hope Kevin Keegan has a great year and brings some success to this club.

“I quite liked the look of the Spiderman – he did well in spasms.

“Habib Beye is a very good player and I like him very much, while Shay Given will always be Shay Given.

“There were plenty of positives.”

Arguably, only Robson and Keegan can deem themselves a success in the Toon management dug-out in recent years and, although Kenny Dalglish did drive the Magpies to a second-place finish in 1997, it was the two former England bosses who have delivered the entertaining football the fans crave.

The 75-year-old helped Newcastle into the Champions League in 2002 and a top-four finish a year later as he rebuilt a team akin to Keegan’s Entertainers.

And after watching goals from Ibrahim Afellay and Nordin Amrabat peg Newcastle back to 2-2, Robson said: “I enjoyed it very much.

“I thought Newcastle were going to get a big victory.

“I thought they were going to keep playing at 2-0 and it looked like they were going to win the match.

“But the Dutch played good football and it came into the game in the second half.

“Basically, it was the right result at 2-2.”

United snapped back into life in the Tyneside air after the sticky and sweltering conditions of Majorca last week.

And Robson added: “It was a good game for Newcastle – they scored two goals and played reasonably well throughout.

“That was good, and they can build from here.”

:lol:

I remember when I came up watch Newcastle vs Southampton in 2002 (I am based in London), and my Dad mentioned that he might be able to get me Bobby's signature as he once reported an England tour with him. Bobby remembered his name and face, strode out to say hello to my Dad again and shook my hand, a shaky 16 year old Newcastle fan. He could have just left it there, but not Bobby - he signed my ticket, took me and my Dad to a complimentary dinner in the club and anytime a player was near he bolted up to get them and bring them over to say hello to me and sign my ticket - I met Shearer, Dyer, Speed, Bellamy, Nobby, Andy O'Brien, Shay Given, Aaron Hughes and  Hugo Viana. He talked to us for a good hour, asking me about my school and ambitions in life and stuff, it was just incredible. The next time I saw him was at Brian Clough's memorial (Brian Clough being my Godfather, another friend of Dad's) and he'd just been sacked. The man even remembered my face, and stopped his conversation to come up and see how I was doing. I said sorry about the decision and that I really didn't agree with it. He just smiled and said "it's football, and don't lose your love for that great club". He even asked me the score of a low-key Newcastle European match later that night after the service. I told him we won 1-0 with a Shearer goal. He just smiled and said "Who else but Alan?". I'll never forget him and the two amazing memories he provided me personally, and the years of great memories with what he did to my team. I'll be so, so gutted when the worst happens, I wouldn't be surprised if I never met a nicer person.

I remember when I came up watch Newcastle vs Southampton in 2002 (I am based in London), and my Dad mentioned that he might be able to get me Bobby's signature as he once reported an England tour with him. Bobby remembered his name and face, strode out to say hello to my Dad again and shook my hand, a shaky 16 year old Newcastle fan. He could have just left it there, but not Bobby - he signed my ticket, took me and my Dad to a complimentary dinner in the club and anytime a player was near he bolted up to get them and bring them over to say hello to me and sign my ticket - I met Shearer, Dyer, Speed, Bellamy, Nobby, Andy O'Brien, Shay Given, Aaron Hughes and  Hugo Viana. He talked to us for a good hour, asking me about my school and ambitions in life and stuff, it was just incredible. The next time I saw him was at Brian Clough's memorial (Brian Clough being my Godfather, another friend of Dad's) and he'd just been sacked. The man even remembered my face, and stopped his conversation to come up and see how I was doing. I said sorry about the decision and that I really didn't agree with it. He just smiled and said "it's football, and don't lose your love for that great club". He even asked me the score of a low-key Newcastle European match later that night after the service. I told him we won 1-0 with a Shearer goal. He just smiled and said "Who else but Alan?". I'll never forget him and the two amazing memories he provided me personally, and the years of great memories with what he did to my team. I'll be so, so gutted when the worst happens, I wouldn't be surprised if I never met a nicer person.

Sums the man up nicely

Worst idea ever reading that when im fucking hammered, emotional wreck.

But on a serious note, when Fergie presented him with that life time achievement award, it was quite emotional, felt abit sorry for Bobby in a way

Same here, i cried myself to sleep last night, proper flood of tears at 3 am.

Am still a bit teary now.

Great story mate.

lucky bastard. must have been well chuffed with yourself  :thup:

Guest diddimz

Great story theregulars, sums him up. This news has really ruined what was a good day, i dread the sad day that he does pass away, i hope its completely painless for him til then.

Class.

Sad news indeed.  Hope he does what everyone should do, enjoy today because you don't know what tomorrow might bring.

Unless you're ITK of course ;D

Seriously though, I hope Sir Bobby enjoys whatever time he has left, will be terribly sad when he is gone.

I was so lucky to meet him when i bought his biography, had a little chat, real gent

i read the biography twice, you feel you know him well after reading it

a brillaint insight to him and history of football

im not saying my goodbyes yet...as he's still here but i hope, and pretty sure he will make the most of it

Sad news indeed.  Hope he does what everyone should do, enjoy today because you don't know what tomorrow might bring.

Unless you're ITK of course ;D

Seriously though, I hope Sir Bobby enjoys whatever time he has left, will be terribly sad when he is gone.

Unnecessary comment in what is probably the saddest thread I've seen in a long time.

Guest Stephen927

Absolutely gutted, will miss him. He's left a fantastic legacy behind him and he can hold his head up high for the fantastic life he has had.

Farewell but not goodbye.

He is a legend. I hope he is able to spend his last few months in peace and as pain free as possible. Would be great if NUFC could quickly organise some sort of benefit game, with the proceeds going to his cancer charity. I'm sure the place would be packed to the rafters. To have him as a guest there would be fantastic.

Sad to hear, and will definetly be missed by not only geordies as the rest of the footballing world.

Great man and he deserves these last few months in peace and without pain. To sad that a human being at his best have to go through 5 different cancer fights.