Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

That chance wasn't that easy to be fair, headers like that are always liable to go wrong.

Aye, but that was on a fucking plate!

It looked like he didn't have much time though, it was an instinctive reaction and it happened to go over. Seen that happen to much better strikers than wor Nile.

He WILL score more than 8 a season, its going to happen for him, he DOES offer a hell of a lot to the team, works very hard looks hungry too. As for the chance... Loven may have put a bit to much pace on it but he did very well to create the chance in the first place, the pace was the on;y thing that made it a tough chance, Nile did not have time to get up above the ball.

Way to much being made of the miss like.

Guest firetotheworks

the inevitable kneejerk backlash when an inexperienced, raw, young lad plays like an inexperienced, raw, young lad. still got a long way to go but looks promising, and at this level at least, pretty competent.

Yep, I think we're all guilty of believing even just a little bit of the hype, and with good reason tbf. But Im quite happy to give him every opportunity for quite a long time yet.

He's a player that will contribute far more than he will score. He won't be your 20 goal a season man (If he makes it) but he'll get something like 8 goals a season but contribute to a lot of our team goals. And people blaming Lovenkrands for his miss saying he should have played it earlier, Loven did very well to get in behind and pull it across, and let's face it, it was a bad miss, simple.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement, a lot of strikers in their early careers didn't set the world a light at the start of their careers, just look at van Nistelrooy, Drogba and Thierry Henry's records.  When they were Niles age, they didnt look like 20 goal a season strikers but we all know what they become

More nonsense, from the king of bad research.

Henry was named French young footballer of the Year at 18 and won the Ligue 1 title a year later.

He's a player that will contribute far more than he will score. He won't be your 20 goal a season man (If he makes it) but he'll get something like 8 goals a season but contribute to a lot of our team goals. And people blaming Lovenkrands for his miss saying he should have played it earlier, Loven did very well to get in behind and pull it across, and let's face it, it was a bad miss, simple.

That's kind of a ridiculous statement, a lot of strikers in their early careers didn't set the world a light at the start of their careers, just look at van Nistelrooy, Drogba and Thierry Henry's records.  When they were Niles age, they didnt look like 20 goal a season strikers but we all know what they become

Henry was named French young footballer of the Year at 18 and won the Ligue 1 title a year later.

Ye 6 goals in 30 games, showed everyone he was well on his way to becoming a 20 goal a season striker huh? :rolleyes:

What about Drogbas, van Nistelrooy? did everyone expect them to become so prolific when Niles age?  Their record was pretty shocking.  So what exactly is your objection

Guest optimistic nit

he only scored 20 league goals in over 100 appearences in 4 years so he was hardly a 20 goal a season striker then so what is your point?

Ranger has looked a lot more comfortable on the ball than I thought he would be as soon as he broke through.

There are still lots of things missing to his game but he looks to have a touch of class about him imo.

Ye 6 goals in 30 games, showed everyone he was well on his way to becoming a 20 goal a season striker huh? :rolleyes:

What about Drogbas, van Nistelrooy? did everyone expect them to become so prolific when Niles age?  Their record was pretty shocking.  So what exactly is your objection

Probably something to do with Henry being a wide players as well before Wenger used him as a striker.

Guest michaelfoster

He could of taken it onto his chest or let it drop and volleyed it as the keeper was closer to his near post and Ranger was further towards the back

Probably something to do with Henry being a wide players as well before Wenger used him as a striker.

Anyone else remember Henry when he played against us for Monaco?

He had the dreadlocks at the time and he tore us apart on the wings along with Ali Bernarbia pulling the strings in midfield.

They had a canny team back then along with Barthez, Legwinski, Emmanuel Petit,  Djetou and Sonny Anderson (and Dumas!).

anyways, back on topic. I agree with what others said, in that he's probably more of a contributor than an out and out goalscorer. just needs that 1st goal t get things going and hopefully settle him a bit.

Where does the hype come from, though? Has he impressed in the reserves or youth teams? Honest question since I really don't know his trajectory.

The two times I have seen him play he looked pretty confident and assured on the pitch, which is a big deal for a player his age, but he was a bit ineffectual (although both games were pretty scrappy so I can't really judge)

And the fact he is straight like a banana which can't be said for the likes of drogba and Henry at the same age.

Strong, pacy and skilful, Henry is a versatile player who can play wide right or left, though Wenger wants to concentrate on returning him to the central striking role he played when a youngster at Monaco.

"I started him in that position, then moved him out wide because we had other strikers in the first team at the time," said Wenger. "But I think it is time now for him to come back to being a central striker.

"He has pace and dribbling power and makes things happen. He has a good spirit and mentality, a good experience at international level and one of the straightest bananas I've seen in a player. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/1999/aug/04/newsstory.sport5

There are still lots of things missing to his game but he looks to have a touch of class about him imo.

I think this sums him up at the moment. His finishing doesn't look very composed at the moment, and he doesn't always read situations too well. There were a couple of times against Preston where he stood and watched the play instead of making the run into the box, anticipating the pass.

But those things will come with experience and good coaching. I suspect he may have missed out on some of that earlier on, and is now catching up.

The promising thing is that the raw material looks very good. He has a confident attitude, and gets himself involved right away. He's reasonably skilful and can think creatively. Most obviously, he's exceptionally quick for a lad his size, and can work the channels as well as down the middle.

And the fact he is straight like a banana which can't be said for the likes of drogba and Henry at the same age.

Strong, pacy and skilful, Henry is a versatile player who can play wide right or left, though Wenger wants to concentrate on returning him to the central striking role he played when a youngster at Monaco.

"I started him in that position, then moved him out wide because we had other strikers in the first team at the time," said Wenger. "But I think it is time now for him to come back to being a central striker.

"He has pace and dribbling power and makes things happen. He has a good spirit and mentality, a good experience at international level and one of the straightest bananas I've seen in a player. "

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/1999/aug/04/newsstory.sport5

Hahaha. That's humourous.

the inevitable kneejerk backlash when an inexperienced, raw, young lad plays like an inexperienced, raw, young lad. still got a long way to go but looks promising, and at this level at least, pretty competent.

:thup:

Like him a lot, definitely think he has got a touch of class about him. But i can't get over how unbelievably shy he is infront of goal, when he just knocks them in for fun in the reserves. He's played a lot of first-team football this season and that can only be his second or third real chance of actually scoring. Think i can recall him missing a header from close range against someone else.

But the lad adds a different dimension to our game when he comes on late in the day, and i'd hate for him not to be on the bench if the game's tied.

Half the time when he comes on we've given up attacking.  Granted he missed his chance on Saturday but if he had the same chance 10 times over he score 8/9 times.

Clearly not though, he's missed lots of chances of similiar ease.

Half the time when he comes on we've given up attacking.  Granted he missed his chance on Saturday but if he had the same chance 10 times over he score 8/9 times.

Clearly not though, he's missed lots of chances of similiar ease.

utter bollocks.. sorry like but thats just WRONG!