Nile Ranger (now a free agent)

stozo

He thinks he's something special. Will be a Championship player in three/four years time.

This.

He has potential, but not the right attitude to make it imo

And yous have gleamed this from what? A few photos and his twitter account?

My thought exactly. I mean he doesn't seem to be the most talented footballer around but his attitude is top class most of the time, he seems to run his socks off every time his on and while he doesnt like to track back (and shouldn't he still does it). After all he's not a midfielder hes a striker and he does provide energy, he just doesnt provide the talent needed at this stage and at this level. I have no doubt he could develop into a decent player in the moulds of Doyle, Fuller etc. but while its not impossible I do not think he will become a star player and wear the english shirt.

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/nufc/Nile-Ranger-set-for-new.6636365.jp?

Nile Ranger set for new United deal

Published Date:  23 November 2010

NILE Ranger is close to agreeing a new long-term deal at Newcastle United.

The 19-year-old's contract runs out in a year and a half, and the Gazette understands a new five-and-a-half-year deal is on the table to reward the progress he has made on the field.

Ranger, a pacy and direct forward, is yet to start a Premier League game for Newcastle, but his raw talent is undoubted.

And manager Chris Hughton is convinced the Londoner, signed in July 2008, can realise his potential at St James's Park over the coming years.

The move to secure Ranger's services beyond 2012 will hearten fans, who quickly took to him early last season when he made his first-team breakthrough.

Ranger, however, found his opportunties limited in the second half of the campaign, with Hughton having been keen for him to work harder day in, day out on the training field.

While Ranger's again largely been restricted to the bench this season, he's slowly getting closer to starting first-team games.

Ranger had been due to play for Newcastle's reserves in their Northumberland Senior Cup tie against Bedlington Terriers at Whitley Park tonight.

However, the match was called off due to a waterlogged pitch.

United's move comes after it was revealed Mike Williamson had agreed an extension to the contract he signed when he joined the club from Portsmouth in January.

The progress on contracts is evidence of welcome longer-term thinking at St James's Park, and the hope is defender Steven Taylor will soon agree a new deal.

Taylor – who is out of contract next summer – was transfer-listed in August, but with the 24-year-old keen to stay, and Hughton unwilling to lose him, a compromise could be reached.

He thinks he's something special. Will be a Championship player in three/four years time.

A lot of members were saying the same thing about Carroll less than a year ago.

I agree, but the difference with Carroll is that his size, strength and aerial presence gave him outstanding attributes from an early stage - I don't this Ranger offers the same.

He looks to have potential in the air and on the ground to me.

He should be out on loan getting proper experience of week-to-week football - his development is being hampered by the fact we have such a paper-thin attacking lineup.

Of course he should, but at the moment he is our 3rd/4th choice striker. If Carroll and Ameobi were to both get injured he would become a first team player ...

Wise was well proud of Nile at HT, said he only cost £25000 but that he needed another season in the Championship to "get ready" for the PL.

How did he cost us money? He was sacked from his old club, surely they couldn't sack him then demand a fee? ???