Match Attendance: 47711

James

Manure away was sold out.

Also, I think too big a deal is being made about this attendance malarkey.

Lets put it in perspective...I watched the Stoke highlights and spotted empty seats.  There first home game in the top flight for god knows how long, and they have empty seats...

I'm guessing its more to do with financial situations around and I believe the article on http://www.true-faith.co.uk/tf/editorials.nsf/ab283684d03f231d80256b520047d321/5640c40d996db202802574af003da2b2?OpenDocument tends to explain a little more.

I'm not one for covering old ground but heres my summary as to why the attendance was 5k approx less than normal:

• Playing the most anti-footballing team in the league thus people turned off as such

• Majority of normal household goods/food has went up

• Unemployment/redundancy within the region has increased due to the 'Credit Crunch'

• Gas/Electric bills have increased by 25%

• Busiest weekend for all UK airports for outgoing passengers

• Away support are normally allocated 2-5k tickets, Bolton bought under 1k and then sold the tickets back to Newcastle, thus turnstile tickets available.

• 4+ years of shite football and some people have lost faith, even those who watched our demise last season under BSA

• Unclear message by the Owners until the article in the official magazine, and poor circulation of this full article due to limitations on how/where to buy it.

• Corporate seats not being renewed

All of the above have an affect on ticket sales but considering we still manage 46k+ and still had the highest attendance in the league at on Saturday is not something we should be complaining about.

I'm sure after this weeks transfer activities have been concluded and our team continue grinding out decent results people will find those extra few pennies and head back up barrack road.

Guest king harry

Right a few things.

NUFC count there attendance the same as we do at Liverpool, actual bums on seats. Some clubs count there attendance as tickets sold, so if 1000 ST holders dont turn up, they still count them as part of the attentandce.

Away fans - What does my head in is when with say a week left, the home club carnt give the away side a cut off date, and then make the home section bigger, with the police and stewarts forming the barrier. Why Liverpool give teams like Boro 2800 tickets is beyond me, they probably brought the 800.

Also prices, complete disgrace now, £35 quid for a ticket to our place and hardly any concessions for kids. The game is being taken away from the normal local working class fans. Even our pre season home friendlie was £20.

As for your singing section, we have somthing similar, its not an official singing section, but its somewhere lads can sit together, and this increases the natural atmosphere. When we stood up, you would have a few hundred lads together singing, that stopped when everyone got spread round the ground, scrapping for tickets here there and everywhere. Our little block is good, but while we are making a bit of a diffrence, i know people at the other end of the ground who say they hardly hear us, weired cos its loud where we are.

And lastly, with prices, and all the johhny come latelys that have latched onto football, im starting to wonder why i bother, sometimes the match just gets in the way of a good drinking session with your mates.

The mackems I know took the piss out of that.

They said we sent 200 Man u tickets back is that right?

Macums seem to be obsessed with attendance, their message boards are inundated with guessing games about crowds and as always they are even more obsessed about our attendances.

Considering they NEVER fill their ground (apart from when we visit) and were 5000 short in the first game against one of the big 4, had 15,000 against Arsenal in one of the last games at Roker and were getting crowds around 20 - 30,000 before the pikeys hijacked their club means they really shouldn't be taking the piss out of anyone.

Proportionally taking the populations of the towns against average crowds into account Boro have had better support than Sundlund.

Right a few things.

NUFC count there attendance the same as we do at Liverpool, actual bums on seats. Some clubs count there attendance as tickets sold, so if 1000 ST holders dont turn up, they still count them as part of the attentandce.

Away fans - What does my head in is when with say a week left, the home club carnt give the away side a cut off date, and then make the home section bigger, with the police and stewarts forming the barrier. Why Liverpool give teams like Boro 2800 tickets is beyond me, they probably brought the 800.

Also prices, complete disgrace now, £35 quid for a ticket to our place and hardly any concessions for kids. The game is being taken away from the normal local working class fans. Even our pre season home friendlie was £20.

As for your singing section, we have somthing similar, its not an official singing section, but its somewhere lads can sit together, and this increases the natural atmosphere. When we stood up, you would have a few hundred lads together singing, that stopped when everyone got spread round the ground, scrapping for tickets here there and everywhere. Our little block is good, but while we are making a bit of a diffrence, i know people at the other end of the ground who say they hardly hear us, weired cos its loud where we are.

And lastly, with prices, and all the johhny come latelys that have latched onto football, im starting to wonder why i bother, sometimes the match just gets in the way of a good drinking session with your mates.

Shocking that this is happening at Cities like Liverpool and Newcastle where the football club is the heartbeat of the city

I sit right in front of the bar area in the Leazes End and I was shocked by the amount of empty seats behind me. It's gone from full every game to a couple of dozen people. They are probably paying near double what I pay to sit one row further back though.

Said pretty much the same thing here.

They should do what they do on planes when they're not full - offer upgrades to some of the plebs in economy. If anything it'll take the pressure of the staff in the concourse.

I sit right in front of the bar area in the Leazes End and I was shocked by the amount of empty seats behind me. It's gone from full every game to a couple of dozen people. They are probably paying near double what I pay to sit one row further back though.

Said pretty much the same thing here.

They should do what they do on planes when they're not full - offer upgrades to some of the plebs in economy. If anything it'll take the pressure of the staff in the concourse.

In previous seasons, there has always been a steward stopping the commoners from getting into the bar area but there wasn't one there on Saturday. Seemed like an invite to go in and make the place look a bit busier.

.com had the Man U ticket allocation as sold out.

Rules allow us as near to 3000 at big grounds so while we sold out we didn't (wisely) take up our full allocation. At Old Trafford we normally have a section to the left of the corner which we didn't have this year which hold about 400.

I go to most away games but had it not been the first game of the season i woundn't have gone simply due to the £41 being charged. And i imagine loads more people in taking the same decision that the ticket and travel cost is just too high. On top of that a Sunday afternoon, on the TV, and people will make a decision to select their games, especially away from home.

.com had the Man U ticket allocation as sold out.

Rules allow us as near to 3000 at big grounds so while we sold out we didn't (wisely) take up our full allocation. At Old Trafford we normally have a section to the left of the corner which we didn't have this year which hold about 400.

I go to most away games but had it not been the first game of the season i woundn't have gone simply due to the £41 being charged. And i imagine loads more people in taking the same decision that the ticket and travel cost is just too high. On top of that a Sunday afternoon, on the TV, and people will make a decision to select their games, especially away from home.

Apparently the club only took 2,500 tickets, because the other 400-500 were £50 and they didnt expect to sell them.

there was defo less than 1000 bolton fans there.

About 500, lets face it thay all deserve medals for travelling to watch Bolton away - imagine having to watch such a negative game plan all the time.

The meagre away support stopped us getting the 50K we used to get for the less glamorous games.

I also knew of several people on holiday who would normally have passed their tickets on but because of the late delivery the tickets were lying on doormats behind locked doors on Saturday.

If this is a sign of lower attendendances to come....then...despite it seeming dissappointing at first......

It's fucking great!

Miserable old fuckers make way to the nearest exit. Youth of today head to the turnstiles. Thank fuck for that!

agree completely with the prices, although £35 doesnt sound bad for what will probably be a win- all the clubs near me are more than that just to sit in the away stand! (chelsea £48, fulham £35, spurs £45, wham £36, even bloody crystal palace is £36 or something!)

If this is a sign of lower attendendances to come....then...despite it seeming dissappointing at first......

It's f***ing great!

Miserable old fuckers make way to the nearest exit. Youth of today head to the turnstiles. Thank f*** for that!

F*ck off. Most of those fans you're talking about were probably going to St James's through the hard times before you were even born man.

It's f***ing great!

Miserable old fuckers make way to the nearest exit. Youth of today head to the turnstiles. Thank f*** for that!

F*ck off. Most of those fans you're talking about were probably going to St James's through the hard times before you were even born man.

There has got to be change at some stage. Now is the time.

I am not criticising their levels of support in the past, I am merely suggesting that younger fans are more likely to go along and be a bit more up-beat and enthusiastic. More likely to get behind the team than sit and complain about who is playing poorly. The singing section may not have been able to have been heard from other areas of the ground, but all those in Level 7 can agree it was rather successful on Saturday. Why? Because like-minded fans have got together in a certain area of the ground. Okay, that may not mean anything. But if you ever take a wander up into that section you can tell everyone is aged around 30 and below.

Sometimes blind optimism can be far more beneficial than realism.

What a pile of steaming sh*te man.

Why because you know for a fact youthful supporters are more likely to back their team?

All of these fans that have been there far longer than me, I bet they used to be most passionate and most enthusiastic at a younger age too....not only that but I bet they'd agree.

I think you'll find that, what is "a pile of steaming shite." is your lack of debate due to the fact you know I have a point.

You can't stop people who've been going for years from going to games man. F*cking hell. What do you suggest? No over 40s in the stadium? F*ck off man.

When did I ever suggest that?

The people giving up their season tickets are more than likely people aged over 30+ who are sick of spending all that cash on a team that's won f*** all.

Therefore, when I said "Miserable old fuckers make way to the nearest exit." I wasn't suggesting they are kicked out, I was just making a suggestion that alot of the older generation need to be replaced by a younger generation, hence why I went on to say.. "Youth of today head to the turnstiles"

The only reason there are so many old people in the ground is because kids can't afford it anymore. Alot of parents will struggle to afford to take their kids too. Back when it was pay on the gates, and queueing for tickets right around the ground, I'm sure there was a more youthful following inside the ground. These are the same ones who made The Leazes End so famous. The Gallowgate and corners of the ground also.

Now that St James' is pretty much full of Season Ticket holders, and the prices are so high, the chance for younger fans to get to games is pretty minimal.

So when more older (miserable) fans give up their season tickets, and more go on general sale, that's when the ground will return to the way it should be.

Also, you're what 24? I'm 18 mate, 6 years isn't too much more so stop going on as if you've been there for decades before me.

Just because a fan is older, doesn't make him more miserable. You're talking s***.

Passion isn't measured by age.

I never said it was. Enthusiasm and how up-beat fans are was what I was measuring.

Also, I know not all fans are miserable. I'm not saying kick out all the over 30's. I'm saying the fact that many of them are now giving up their season tickets isn't as bad a thing as people make out.

Obviously there will be older men and women in the ground who are still very enthusiastic, to them I have no problem. But the ones who are giving up their season tickets are more than likely sick of the way the club is, and therefore have resorted to doing nowt but complain at every game they attended in the recent past. So good riddance, let the young lads and lasses in to enjoy the football. Where the fuck is your support going to be if loads of old bastards are sat in their wheelchairs with their colostomy bags, only their because they have been going for years. The middle-aged folk in the ground will have taken over from their fathers. The youth will now be taking over their fathers/mothers....or they should be! But because the seats are filled with old people our support will be extremely small in 10years time when half of them have snuffed it.

Pipe down about over 30's for a starters :hmm:

You're 18 years old, that means you're the future of the club and not the here and now. I know every one of you pays for your own travel and season ticket (aye right) but one day you'll have to work for a living, raise a family and make choices about your time and money. When YOU have made that sort of investment, you have every right to be able turn up and enjoy the game in any manner you want without having someone tell you how to behave. Thats life man, you cant force people to be any other way than the way they are.

That said, if the booers and the whiners have fucked off this summer, then there is perhaps some silver lining to the very real and very important issue of our season ticket sales.