James Milner joins Aston Villa - £12m!

Ally
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

It is shame to see him go & I wasn't his biggest fan. If it is £12 million we cant turn that down, this is hardly KK's 2nd Andy Cole moment. With a small squad JV & DW need have spotted at least 3 players & DW & TJ better be able to sort incoming players contracts out better/quicker than they have seem to have dealt with Taylor, Owen & Milners deals.

Get CNZ on left, Jonas on the right & LETS ATTACK THESE COCKNEY PRICKS THE MORRA!!!

don't know if its been posted, but .com have vented their splein on this, and its hard to argue with what they say:

No it isn't. The entire article can be shot-down on the virtue of the sentence "to allow Milner to leave seems illogical"  - - the only thing that would be illogical would be to reject a £12 million bid for him.

In fact, no, that wouldn't be illogical, it would be utterly ridiculous.

Think they mean in the contex of the boards plan of bring young players through, rather than the players who come here for the cash, Here is a regular in the under-21's, vice captain no-less, maybe our hardest worker and one of our more dignifyed players allowed to leave when an accepteble bid is made. The next time we get an "accepatble bid" for one of our promising players - same again? I'm not saying I agree, but they have a point

I'm aware of the context. However, there's a difference between an "acceptable" bid and an "unrejectable" bid.

Villa's bid for Milner fits into the latter category.

Really? even at a time when we are struggling for players, he was our best player in the last match we played and the boards plan is to go with the young players? As much as its really good deal, i just think its sends out all the wrong signals - Work your ass off, we will pay the bigger names who dont do half as much - twice what you earn, then when a team notice's your hard work we will sell you, and then gamble on a player to replace you. Like i say, I still cant decide who got the best deal - Us or Villa, sure we have £12M in the bank but they have a young english player that will only improve. I am braceing myself for this one to come back and haunt us, O'neill is a shrewd as they come, and milner will thrive under him

He was our best player in the last match. But let's put it into context... He was our best player against coventry city.

People keep saying he has promise, but has he really improved all that much since he signed? He still has the same limitations -- he can't cross/shoot/pass. Yes, he's a grafter, but a premiership winger doesn't just need graft he also needs craft, and Milner lacks that drastically.

don't know if its been posted, but .com have vented their splein on this, and its hard to argue with what they say:

No it isn't. The entire article can be shot-down on the virtue of the sentence "to allow Milner to leave seems illogical"  - - the only thing that would be illogical would be to reject a £12 million bid for him.

In fact, no, that wouldn't be illogical, it would be utterly ridiculous.

Think they mean in the contex of the boards plan of bring young players through, rather than the players who come here for the cash, Here is a regular in the under-21's, vice captain no-less, maybe our hardest worker and one of our more dignifyed players allowed to leave when an accepteble bid is made. The next time we get an "accepatble bid" for one of our promising players - same again? I'm not saying I agree, but they have a point

I'm aware of the context. However, there's a difference between an "acceptable" bid and an "unrejectable" bid.

Villa's bid for Milner fits into the latter category.

Really? even at a time when we are struggling for players, he was our best player in the last match we played and the boards plan is to go with the young players? As much as its really good deal, i just think its sends out all the wrong signals - Work your ass off, we will pay the bigger names who dont do half as much - twice what you earn, then when a team notice's your hard work we will sell you, and then gamble on a player to replace you. Like i say, I still cant decide who got the best deal - Us or Villa, sure we have £12M in the bank but they have a young english player that will only improve. I am braceing myself for this one to come back and haunt us, O'neill is a shrewd as they come, and milner will thrive under him

And when was the last match before that where he was our best player, or even in the top three?

I am talking about the here and now, its early in the season - he might have gone from strength to strength after that, now he takes that confidence and momentum to Villa, ive always thought he was a player with good atributtes, just needs it all to come together. I just hope we do have "irons in the fire" because if the deadline passes and the 12M was untouched due to deals breaking down - Like I said, it sends out all the wrong signals

I am talking about the here and now, its early in the season - he might have gone from strength to strength after that, now he takes that confidence and momentum to Villa, ive always thought he was a player with good atributtes, just needs it all to come together. I just hope we do have "irons in the fire" because if the deadline passes and the 12M was untouched due to deals breaking down - Like I said, it sends out all the wrong signals

Sorry, but all of that is absolute nonsense.

Guest Brazilianbob

The writing on that .com site is of an excellent standard.

pity the ideas are holier than thou, patronising, aloof s****.

A case of the pot calling the kettle black, I think!

Sorry, but all of that is absolute nonsense.

No, that is an opinion

Yes, he might have gone to strength-to-strength, and he might have lived up to this so-called "potential..." But take a step back and look at the recent past... Dyer? Jenas? Ameobi? Viana? All had this "potential", yet all went either sideways or backwards instead of forward during their time here. Milner's displays last season did nothing to suggest that he would buck the trend -- he hasn't gone backwards by any means, but he certainly hasn't improved technically as a footballer. He hasn't worked on his weaknesses, and he simply hasn't progressed.

He's a model professional and a great worker, for sure. But that only gets you so far. £12 million for Keegan to spend on Keegan-esque signings will get you a lot further.

I personally thought it would have been daft due to our lack of a squad as he would have made good cover, but £12 million is the best bit of business the club has done in a long time.

Guest Howaythetoon

Strange transfer all the same though.

Methinks KK has something up his sleeve...

Still happy if we don't manage to bring anyone in ?

It wont effect my life put it that way.

Niall and Biffa are both sound, from the times I've spoken to them. I'm sure Rich would back that up... I don't think they believe their opinions are more worthy than others, and when they "snipe" at forums they're referring to 606 and the like more often than not, as opposed to ours...

However, their opinions are so far-reaching (and thus potentially damaging) that sometimes I can't help but feel that they'd be better off sticking to just posting facts...

NUFC.com is a domain that really should be owned by the club, not two fans with often questionable and biased opinions.

Compare that to eg:

www.manutd.com

www.chelseafc.com

www.liverpoolfc.com

www.arsenal.com

etc etc. It's simply the case the .com is perceived to be more formal/official than a .co.uk or .net or any other extension, whilst the club is only ever going to have NUFC as the name of the site since that is logically what most of us who support the club would go for. Hence, NUFC.com should be the official club website.

IMO they're simply taking advantage of having nabbed that web address first, which is fair enough, but with their increasingly biased bullshit opinions they're abusing that privileged position.

Guest Sniffer

You're right. We all read everybody elses biased bullshit opinions so you might as well read theirs. I read yours after all.

The writing on that .com site is of an excellent standard.

pity the ideas are holier than thou, patronising, aloof shite.

:thup: nailed.

beautifully crafted sanctimonious bullshit.

From the website that brought you: "OMG We're giving Bramble away for nothing!"

They're also referring to the 'Wow' rumour as if it were fact.

Niall and Biffa are both sound, from the times I've spoken to them. I'm sure Rich would back that up... I don't think they believe their opinions are more worthy than others, and when they "snipe" at forums they're referring to 606 and the like more often than not, as opposed to ours...

However, their opinions are so far-reaching (and thus potentially damaging) that sometimes I can't help but feel that they'd be better off sticking to just posting facts...

NUFC.com is a domain that really should be owned by the club, not two fans with often questionable and biased opinions.

Compare that to eg:

www.manutd.com

www.chelseafc.com

www.liverpoolfc.com

www.arsenal.com

etc etc. It's simply the case the .com is perceived to be more formal/official than a .co.uk or .net or any other extension, whilst the club is only ever going to have NUFC as the name of the site since that is logically what most of us who support the club would go for. Hence, NUFC.com should be the official club website.

IMO they're simply taking advantage of having nabbed that web address first, which is fair enough, but with their increasingly biased bullshit opinions they're abusing that privileged position.

I've made the point about their domain name for years, they were just in the right place at the right time. They generate huge hits from it, and of course they rake in the cash through their multitude of sponsors which allow them to finance the trips that prove they are soopafans.

The general fans do see it as the official voice of NUFC fans more so than message boards like this, all because of their URL.

Unfortunately NUFC isn't copyrighted by the club and hardly likely ever to be, while they hide behind the Newcastle Unnofical Fans Collaboration (I have no idea who they are actually collaborating with) bullshit then they are pretty safe.

Two patronising arseholes IMO but I'll not deny they have a lot of talent at copy writing.

I like NUFC.com the % of posters who post sense on there is higher than here but this place is home for me. I don't bother with Toontspastic aka the place this boards banned members live.

>:D

Guest sombrero

maybe he can get them a flukey goal too!, i dont know what is up behind the scenes but villa bought 8 players!, i dont know how many they sold or released but to get 8 in is not bad, we only got three? whats gaaaan on? unless im missing someone obvious

Bassong, Colo, Guthre, Jonas.

ah yes ofcourse my bad! :angel: forgot bassong

Is it 9M to us and 3M to Leeds for the sell on?

If they had a 25% clause then yes, I'm not convinced they did, but its certainly possible.  It all comes from Ken Bates rambling on about a player they have a sell on clause for who was likely to move soon.  People have assumed its Milner, which is a fair assumption, but given its the transfer season it could potentially be any of a clutch of ex Leeds players (Lennon ect).

I also agree with what someone said earlier about the initial fee, it was £3.5 million rising to £5 million on bonuses, considering he never played for England or in the Champions League there's no chance we paid the full £5 million, more like £4 million or so.