KK resigns - see OP for new club statement issued September 6th

Guest Darth Toon
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Never been more gutted! What the fuck do they think they're doing?! How incredibly stupid and arrogant of them. I can honestly see now possible way forward with the present regime. Dennis Wise and Derek Llambias' positions are surely now untenable. Ashley would be better to sell up now as he will never have the fan's support. He can forget about ever sitting with us again!

I am seriously struggling to see how I can continue to support the club's present regime after this. This is an unimaginably bad scenario and it like an absolute nightmare. I'm honestly grieving here, like someone has died (a bit extreme I know, but it feels like we've lost something here that we can never get back). This is the end of the dream, and confirmation that Ashley is more concerned about the money then the dream.

The only acceptable way forward is for him to sell up, and maybe the new owners will want to bring Keegan back? Wishful thinking...

Next manager will be either Didier Deschanmps, or Marcelino Garcia Toral in my opinion. They're both closely linked with Wise and Jiminez.

This also means that Michael Owen will leave, i'm guessing.

Destroyed by this, I really am. :-(

Next manager odds from Ladbrokes:

Gustavo Poyet 6/4

Dennis Wise 4/1

Didier Deschamps 9/2

Alan Shearer 5/1

David Moyes 6/1

Harry Redknapp 12/1

Steve Bruce 12/1

Alan Curbishley 16/1

Gerrad Houllier 16/1

Frank Rijkaard 20/1

Javier Irureta 20/1

Miguel Angel Lotina 20/1

Roberto Mancini 20/1

Slaven Bilic 20/1

David O'Leary 25/1

Jose Camacho 25/1

Gordon Strachan 33/1

Graham Souness 33/1

Gus Hiddink 33/1

Marcello Lippi 33/1

Ottmar Hitzfeld 33/1

Roberto Martinez 33/1

Sam Allardyce 33/1

Stuart Pearce 33/1

Zico 33/1

Glenn Hoddle 40/1

Ruud Gullit 40/1

Terry Venables  40/1

George Graham  66/1

Wheres Osama bin Laden? Him or Shearer for me

If I was putting money on it I would say Ashley will be hell bent on getting Shearer, not sure he'll want to come though to work under the structure.

My own choice would be Moyes, he could be poached, I'm sure but again he'll find it hard to work under the conditions our owner has install.

Someone else may need to be sacrificed to show prospective managers that it's still a reasonablily acttractive job at the moment it's tarnished.

I see the official site is still completely blank.

f***ing gutless twats.

I'm getting more and more angry the longer they take.

My head's in a spin.

Undoubtedly, IMO, there has to be a protest but what form that takes is the question.

These are the options nufc.com had on earlier (all of which were emailed to them and were before confirmation that Kev had gone came through):

We're aware that various other options are being debated amongst the supporter community at present, including:

a) delaying entry into the stadium until well after kickoff.

b) boycott of club merchandise and food/drink sales.

c) attendance at game without wearing NUFC shirts.

d) leaflet/card protest at some point during the game.

As they say, I don't see how a full boycott will affect them. Season tickets are already paid for so not turning up at all when you have one won't mean a thing to the NUFC coffers. Obviously that's personal choice but for me I can't turn my back on my club. We have to win it back.

:clap:

Keegan can fuck off for all I care. If the reason is down to one player coming in, who obviously were needed anyway, he can take his stubborn ass back to his Circus. He should be humble when returning to football after three years. There's alot of players with real quality out there that he probably havn't even heard of, and he should therefore trust the team that tries to find the best players available to him instead of sulking and resigning.

I see the official site is still completely blank.

Fucking gutless twats.

I'm getting more and more angry the longer they take.

My head's in a spin.

Undoubtedly, IMO, there has to be a protest but what form that takes is the question.

These are the options nufc.com had on earlier (all of which were emailed to them and were before confirmation that Kev had gone came through):

We're aware that various other options are being debated amongst the supporter community at present, including:

a) delaying entry into the stadium until well after kickoff.

b) boycott of club merchandise and food/drink sales.

c) attendance at game without wearing NUFC shirts.

d) leaflet/card protest at some point during the game.

As they say, I don't see how a full boycott will affect them. Season tickets are already paid for so not turning up at all when you have one won't mean a thing to the NUFC coffers. Obviously that's personal choice but for me I can't turn my back on my club. We have to win it back.

Wonder of the lack of a statement is down to their arrogance in thinking KK would back down so they have been caught on the hop. 

Think all should attend the game, give the hierarchy what for for the first 20 minutes then all leave

I'm dissapointed in Kevin Keegan.

I honestly believe everything was laid out in front of him and he signed up for it.

Players were imposed on him because the ones he wanted did not fit the profile of what he himself agreed to, and so he was given alternatives which our scouts had identified.

Every player brought in so far has been very promising, so it's not as though he wasn't being provided with quality alternatives.

Not impressed by Keegan's choice to resign at all. Shouldn't have agreed to things in the first place.

Agree with that, although Im fuming at the board for letting it come to this.

Cant see us getting anyone big in. Marcelino, Poyet or Martinez look like good bets. Depressing as hell.

On the upside. Finally the end of Terry Mac! Would expect Hughton to stick around though.

Gutted. Absolutely gutted. Everything was looking so promising and then it goes right down the pan. And we've lost an absolute legend of a manager.

I refuse to believe anyone's at fault until the facts are in front of me though. Even with all the tension and anger it's still a bit irrational to want to sack the board or blame Keegan for going back on what he signed up for.

I just hope now that Ashley has the nouce to bring in a sound replacement cultured in the style of modern management. This or we are truly fucked tbh.

Guest bluegeordie

If the club's bigger than any player, then it's bigger than any manager too, so please let's not talk of turning our backs on NUFC. To be sure this is a shocking and tragic episode, but if KK's tenure was going to have a bad ending (as has seemed almost inevitable over the past few days), then it's better that it's happened now than a couple of tumultuous weeks or months down the track.

God only knows who will take over the manager's role (surely Ashley wouldn't / couldn't give it to Wise?), but imo there's some wisdom in the saying that "the graveyards are full of indispensable men", and I feel that we now need to throw whatever support we can muster behind whoever is foolish, brave, or desperate enough to pick up the poison chalice.

As hard as it might be in the heat of this awful moment, I think it's also worth remembering that many of us (myself included) weren't convinced that KK's return was such a great idea in the first place, partly because we feared it might again end in tears (even if nobody could have foreseen this specific disaster), and partly because we felt that there might be more suitable (albeit less romantic) candidates to choose from. Ashley and co now have to start on the long road to redeeming themselves by finding just such a candidate.

Council get in on the act from .com

Newcastle councillors last night (Wednesday September 3 2008) unanimously passed a notice motion calling for an end to the ongoing uncertainty over the position of Kevin Keegan as manager of Newcastle United.

There was cross-party support for a notice of motion, tabled by Councillor Nick Forbes, which stated:

“Council notes the continued confusion over Kevin Keegan’s position at Newcastle United.

“Council recognises the widespread public support for Kevin Keegan, and knows how much he means to Newcastle United fans. Council believes that he is an asset to the club, the city and the wider community and expresses its support for his continuation in the role of manager.

“Council regrets the adverse publicity being caused as a result of the current situation and urges Newcastle United (which has been awarded freedom of the city by the council) and Kevin Keegan to come to a mutually acceptable agreement which will allow Mr Keegan to remain in post and manage the team effectively.”

Coun Nick Forbes, Leader of the Labour group, who proposed the motion, said: “Kevin Keegan is an asset to the club, to the city and the wider community. The whole council is united in hoping that both parties will come to a mutually acceptable agreement to allow him to stay in post and have freedom to manage the team effectively.”

Coun David Faulkner, Deputy Leader of Newcastle City Council and Executive Member for Policy Development and Co-ordination, who seconded the motion, said: “This is an issue that is more than just a contractual issue between employer and employee. Because of the special place of Newcastle United in our community, it affects the reputation of the club and to an extent the city. We hope that it can be resolved soon and that Kevin Keegan stays, with his position both clarified and enhanced.”

----------

I see no way out of this for Ashley unless he is more stubborn that the proverbial bull

Now we're left with an owner we have no clue about, other than he wears the shirt and drinks pints, and a backroom staff that spend most of their time in London.

I'd like know what the circumstances were that led this motley crue to Newcastle.  Who recommended who to who, and why?  Seriously, this needs answering.

It was always quite strange that Dennis Wise ended up here?  Of all the football clubs in England, you had to end up at this one...etc etc

Guest justin99.

probably good there isn't a game on this weekend.

will allow tempers to cool and ashley & co to explain whats going to happen.

Michael Owen now has the excuse he's needed to leave the club without looking like a $%^!

Only Man City will pay his ridiculous wage demands - and they will have other irons in the fire who may not be such a sick note waver

Now we're left with an owner we have no clue about, other than he wears the shirt and drinks pints, and a backroom staff that spend most of their time in London.

I'd like know what the circumstances were that led this motley crue to Newcastle.  Who recommended who to who, and why?  Seriously, this needs answering.

It was always quite strange that Dennis Wise ended up here?  Of all the football clubs in England, you had to end up at this one...etc etc

Yep, I'm waiting for news that they haven't been granted permission to build an extension to the ground so they need to build a new stadium in London and are being renamed the NU Lons

Guest Geordiesned

I'm dissapointed in Kevin Keegan.

I honestly believe everything was laid out in front of him and he signed up for it.

Players were imposed on him because the ones he wanted did not fit the profile of what he himself agreed to, and so he was given alternatives which our scouts had identified.

Every player brought in so far has been very promising, so it's not as though he wasn't being provided with quality alternatives.

Not impressed by Keegan's choice to resign at all. Shouldn't have agreed to things in the first place.

YOU DONT GET KK BACK AND TELL HIM WHAT TO DO 

REALLITY CHECK ON HERE FOR SOME PEOPLE

STOP PLAYING FOOTBALL MANAGER GAMES FFS!

Hey pal, he was told how it would be from the outset.

I seriously doubt that Ashley then did anything differently.

They met after Keegan's rant and Ashley intervened to try and make things better for Keegan, and Keegan claimed he was happy with things.

Yet here we are. Keegan has left because he just wanted things differently to what he agreed to.

People talking about boycotting the club are being ridiculous as far as I'm concerned.

We were told several times that Keegan had the final say on who was signed so no I don't think he was told what it would be like at the outset.