Newcastle United 2 - 0 Aston Villa - 03/11/08 - Post match joy from page 18

Decky

Guest firetotheworks

They didn't show up though, so it's understandable that their fans would be focusing on why and what exactly happened that lead to the nondescript performance from most of their players. And even though we won and controlled the game, we didn't exactly play them off the park.

Yeah I know, but its their constant slagging us off as no marks and nobodies that makes it funny!

I'm fed up with fans of other teams talking about us like we're the anti-christ or something. WTF have we done to deserve such loathing.

It is a recent phenomenon that is for sure, everyone hates us and it is entirely down to the media shoving the 'best fans in the world' and us 'demanding trophies as it is our divine right' nonesense down everyones throats time and time again imo.

This mixed with the Dyer/Bowyer thing, Shepherd talking shite, the sky interviewed mongs, joey barton and the dafties who boo our own players is my guess. Love it when Bobby Lee sticks up for us though.

They didn't show up though, so it's understandable that their fans would be focusing on why and what exactly happened that lead to the nondescript performance from most of their players. And even though we won and controlled the game, we didn't exactly play them off the park.

Yeah I know, but its their constant slagging us off as no marks and nobodies that makes it funny!

I'm fed up with fans of other teams talking about us like we're the anti-christ or something. WTF have we done to deserve such loathing.

It is a recent phenomenon that is for sure, everyone hates us and it is entirely down to the media shoving the 'best fans in the world' and us 'demanding trophies as it is our divine right' nonesense down everyones throats time and time again imo.

This mixed with the Dyer/Bowyer thing, Shepherd talking s****, the sky interviewed mongs, joey barton and the dafties who boo our own players is my guess. Love it when Bobby Lee sticks up for us though.

Aye.

Cracking game today and cracking atmosphere at the game,

I think that Villa lost it by playing a ridiculous 424 formation hoofing the ball to Carew with just Barry and Reo taking our whole midfield, we kept our shape and I could see that Villa were going to find it very hard to keep track of our wingers. Butt and Barton played well playing short, intelligent balls mixed in with some long passes up front. The back four actually looked cohesive for once apart from Collocini having to cover for Taylors shortcomings a few times but with great class. Also Enrique had his best game imo.

Duff and Guttierez's work rate was excellent and for as much as everyone (including me) slags off Duff's final ball he never showed less than 100% will for the cause, which is why he is being picked ahead of the more hit and miss nzog.

Ameobi put in a good shift again upfront, and people really need to see around his weaknesses and highlight what he gives to the team in different ways, such as height, power and dragging defenders from his partner to leave oppurtunities for a dribble/ shot.

Harking back to my first point Villa are a good team but you cant play soo attacking away from home against teams such as us and expect something every time.

I think the player ratings would be:

Given 7 Did Nothing Wrong and again stopped a near certain goal.

Beye 7 Solid as ever

Collocini 8.5 Looks classier and classier, cool calm and collected and intelligent!

Taylor 7 Played okay but goes missing sometimes. His attitude is perfect though and should stay in the team.

Enrique 8 Good game, simple balls and contained milner/ young/ carew well.

Jonas 8 Set up the most important goal of the season so far, works hard and rarely gives away possession

Butt 7.5 Took responsibility today for the midfield and while lacking in pace looks experienced and probally justified his selection today ahead of the more neat and tidy Guthrie.

Barton 8 Combative, and shows a head for clever passes at times, just hope he can keep his head.

Duff 8 Worked hard, sometimes should have made better runs/ decisions but he looks as though he is scareing defenders again.

Martins 8.5 Once again hit and miss but his hits hit and his misses were few and far between, an inportant asset on this form. Very important

Ameobi 8.5 Worked very hard today and looked very Heskey like in his play.

Man Of Match Ameobi imo. Wouldnt have won with Owen/ Xisco in his place. Not for chances created but for his overall inpact in the game we played today.

I though overall the game today reminded me of an old Bobby Robson game with passion, pride, skill, luck and dedication toward other team mates and the team

Comon the toon, get behind the team and we will go up the league!!!

Given - 7

Beye - 7

Enrique - 8

Coloccini - 8

Taylor - 7

Duff - 7

Gutierrez - 8

Butt - 7

Barton - 7

Martins - 8

Ameobi - 8

That's the first game I've seen us play in a very long time where all eleven players were on their game at the same time, and in tune with each other, without any obvious weak links.

That article has piles of shite written all over it.

Why mention chanting for your teams manager. Just cos u got sworn at by him

Why even bring up the Barton 'incident' pathetic shite again

Crap ratings.

Horrible anti newcastle tone.

'Perhaps that incident unsettled Agbonlahor because soon after he missed the best chance of the half when former Newcastle winger Milner created a lovely opening down the Villa right.

The £12million signing, who was booed by home fans, skipped away from Jose Enrique with ease before playing a tempting ball across goal which Agbonlahor somehow allowed to slip through his legs.'

Sick

'Fortunately for Barton, the officials missed all the nonsense, but the television cameras did not and the pair continued to clash for the rest of the first period.

'

Bollocks

'Newcastle were lucky to still have 11 men on the pitch after referee Steve Bennett had missed an unsavoury incident involving Joey Barton, which could have resulted in another red card for the midfielder and a six-match ban. '

Eh? Why print this shit????

That article has piles of shite written all over it.

Why mention chanting for your teams manager. Just cos u got sworn at by him

Why even bring up the Barton 'incident' pathetic shite again

Crap ratings.

Horrible anti newcastle tone.

'Perhaps that incident unsettled Agbonlahor because soon after he missed the best chance of the half when former Newcastle winger Milner created a lovely opening down the Villa right.

The £12million signing, who was booed by home fans, skipped away from Jose Enrique with ease before playing a tempting ball across goal which Agbonlahor somehow allowed to slip through his legs.'

Sick

'Fortunately for Barton, the officials missed all the nonsense, but the television cameras did not and the pair continued to clash for the rest of the first period.

'

Bollocks

'Newcastle were lucky to still have 11 men on the pitch after referee Steve Bennett had missed an unsavoury incident involving Joey Barton, which could have resulted in another red card for the midfielder and a six-match ban. '

Eh? Why print this shit????

At least The Guardian's version is spot on:

"Barton's critics claimed he had enjoyed a significant escape after becoming embroiled in a minor contretemps with Gabriel Agbonlahor. Shortly after being bundled over by the Villa forward as they challenged for the ball, the Newcastle midfielder raised a hand, flicked his wrist and gently swiped Agbonlahor on the nose with a stroke of his palm.

The contact was minimal, fleeting and was surely intended as a joke but Middlesbrough's Jérémie Aliadière was sent off for doing something very similar last season. Moreover, Barton currently has a suspended six-game Football Association ban hanging over him and, with his considerable previous, he cannot afford to be on anything but his best behaviour.

Amid all the excitement Kinnear had lost his voice, so Chris Hughton conducted the post-match duties. "We haven't discussed it," said Newcastle's first-team coach. "But we are aware that any incident with Joey is going to be blown up out of all proportion."

While raising hands on a football pitch is never wise, it is also true that had any other player done something similar it would barely have merited a mention. That said the former referee Graham Poll, now a TV pundit, claimed Barton struck an opponent and consequently should have been dismissed. Moreover Poll was convinced that, had the referee seen the incident properly, he would have given Barton his marching orders. If he did not spot anything untoward and explains this in his report, however, the FA could, in theory, act retrospectively on video evidence.

Perhaps Agbonlahor can cite "post-Barton trauma'"as an excuse when he is asked to explain the sitter he missed shortly afterwards following James Milner's dodging of Fabricio Coloccini and subsequent fine cross. By then Martin Laursen had headed against a post from a Gareth Barry centre and a meaty tackle from Steven Taylor had denied Milner as Newcastle struggled to cope with Villa's speed on the break."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2008/nov/04/premierleague-newcastleunited

I thought the tactics tonight were spot on, we put a stop to Villa's counter attacking football and I can't remember them getting behind our defenders at all, the only problem with sitting so deep was we were relying on some individual magic to make the breakthrough but lucky for us Martins came up with the goods.

I thought Enrique was really impressive tonight, I know he was only marking Milner but he looked comfortable in possession and his distribution was really good too, Jonas put in his worst performance of the season for us tonight and still looked quality.

I thought Ameobi had an average game, I'm not one who usually knocks him but I don't think that giving defenders a rough time physically is enough.

Looking at the weekends fixtures I think we could be 8th by Sunday night if we can pick up a win away to Fulham, fair play to Joe and the lads for turning it around.

I thought the tactics tonight were spot on, we put a stop to Villa's counter attacking football and I can't remember them getting behind our defenders at all, the only problem with sitting so deep was we were relying on some individual magic to make the breakthrough but lucky for us Martins came up with the goods.

I thought Enrique was really impressive tonight, I know he was only marking Milner but he looked comfortable in possession and his distribution was really good too, Jonas put in his worst performance of the season for us tonight and still looked quality.

I thought Ameobi had an average game, I'm not one who usually knocks him but I don't think that giving defenders a rough time physically is enough.

Looking at the weekends fixtures I think we could be 8th by Sunday night if we can pick up a win away to Fulham, fair play to Joe and the lads for turning it around.

i agree about Shola, can't understand why he's getting such rave reviews (even got man of the match on the radio iirc). he didn't do a huge amount of link play and the headers he did win were rarely well directed. he has done a fine job in the past few games but when he is not scoring or posing a threat, and he didn't pose one vs Villa, he's nothing more than an upfield defender.

I think Martins' good form in this game had more to do with link-play from Jonas and Duff, the former full of strong running while the latter always makes himself available. Jonas was quite sloppy and indecisive up until our 2nd goal, mind, and it was nice to see him put an excellent ball into the box for the first time in the match for the goal.  There was also Barton who played some ambitious passes up to Martins, though i felt he was too deep and detached from the front two in the first half.

I totally agree we played well and deserved that victory, but im amazed how many people reckon we were on top in the first half - Villa could well have been 3 up.

Most confident ive been since KK left, just hope we dont produce a 'typical nufc' performance at Fulham now.

Great result, we needed to score first and did so. Villa were very disappointing in the second half. I'd mention a couple of things; Ameobi was still getting loads of stick for "not trying", of course he's trying' he's just very slow and looks lazy doing it. He's been up against Dunne and Laursen recently & has done a pretty good job; a job that neither Martins or Owen could do and one that has been vital to our play.

The other thing is why is JK persisting in playing Jonas on the right? He has to move Duff to the right and let Jonas have the left. He created the goal from there and he couldn't hold position on the right. There was a number of times he'd drifted in field and moves broke down as he wasn't available.

Still, it was encouraging albeit it also shows how fragile our squad is as a couple of injuries will see us struggle. We are walking a very fine line.

Given - 7

Beye - 7

Enrique - 8

Coloccini - 8

Taylor - 7

Duff - 7

Gutierrez - 8

Butt - 7

Barton - 7

Martins - 8

Ameobi - 8

That's the first game I've seen us play in a very long time where all eleven players were on their game at the same time, and in tune with each other, without any obvious weak links.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

What a fkn game my voice has gone, nothing but a slight croack :lol:

Great result, we needed to score first and did so. Villa were very disappointing in the second half. I'd mention a couple of things; Ameobi was still getting loads of stick for "not trying", of course he's trying' he's just very slow and looks lazy doing it. He's been up against Dunne and Laursen recently & has done a pretty good job; a job that neither Martins or Owen could do and one that has been vital to our play.

The other thing is why is JK persisting in playing Jonas on the right? He has to move Duff to the right and let Jonas have the left. He created the goal from there and he couldn't hold position on the right. There was a number of times he'd drifted in field and moves broke down as he wasn't available.

Still, it was encouraging albeit it also shows how fragile our squad is as a couple of injuries will see us struggle. We are walking a very fine line.

Jonas was switching from left to right with Duff...has been for the past 2 games.

But yes, its amazing how one or two players returning to the fold can make a team look so different.  The only worry is that, like you say, pick up some injuries.  We have no one to take the place of anyone in our current lineup who is just as good (minus Owen & Guthrie).

Personally I'd stick with the same team for Fulham, even if Owen is 'fit'.  

Superb, simply superb.  Never felt like this in a long time.  Thought we slightly edged it in the first half, only slightly.  Our main job was to keep them from catching us and we did that.  Second half was ours by a country mile.

The media again show themselves to be dicks and focus on the minor incident of Barton.

Wankaz.

Come on lads, dont let this slip and do exactly the same at Fulham.

Jonas we love you !

Martins was great, so passionate about scoring. Then Jonas comes along and shows the same delight for providing an assist. Two well happy players.

Have to wonder about O'Neil's tactical nous after watching that. He should have seen things weren't working out right 15 minutes into the second-half if not sooner yet he did nothing, except get more and more bolshy with the fourth official.

Just looking at the table brought a bit of a smile, followed by amazement - there's only 6 points seperate bottom and 7th place. Top 6 aside any damn team could find themselves in the relegation zone this season with just a poor run of a few games.

i agree about Shola, can't understand why he's getting such rave reviews (even got man of the match on the radio iirc). he didn't do a huge amount of link play and the headers he did win were rarely well directed. he has done a fine job in the past few games but when he is not scoring or posing a threat, and he didn't pose one vs Villa, he's nothing more than an upfield defender.

I think Martins' good form in this game had more to do with link-play from Jonas and Duff, the former full of strong running while the latter always makes himself available. Jonas was quite sloppy and indecisive up until our 2nd goal, mind, and it was nice to see him put an excellent ball into the box for the first time in the match for the goal.  There was also Barton who played some ambitious passes up to Martins, though i felt he was too deep and detached from the front two in the first half.

He held the ball up, retained possession and distributed the ball in situations when he had absolutely no right to last night. Balls that no defender would have brought under control.

With Martins, Owen and even Duff playing up front for us earlier in the season we had no physical presence.

His movement for Martins second goal was also very sensible, putting the defender in two minds and giving Jonas space.

If Baggio is right and thats an average game from the lad, then am happy with that.

Have to wonder about O'Neil's tactical nous after watching that. He should have seen things weren't working out right 15 minutes into the second-half if not sooner yet he did nothing, except get more and more bolshy with the fourth official.

I thought the same, I said earlier the problem with Villa is that they're a bit one-dimensional. Unlike the top teams they don't have another way to play and still win. We were wise to their strengths and combatted them very well, and they didn't have a way around us.

Guest Darth Toon

Really surprised how poor they were - was watching with a Villa fan who reckons that was by far their worst performance of the season (sour grapes if you ask me!)

For me it just highlights how big the gap is between the Big 4 and the rest - there's really not much to be afraid of in the rest of the league - if we hadn't had all the early season turmoil I think we could well have been right up there with the top 6.

Dont know if its been said but liked the way all the outfield players celebrated the goals together, there does not seem to be any cliques in the group, all in it together!

Dont know if its been said but liked the way all the outfield players celebrated the goals together, there does not seem to be any cliques in the group, all in it together!

Yes. At the end of the match the cameras showed our bench, and all subs were on their feet clapping their teammates off, while on the pitch players went around congratulating one another, especially Jonas who embraced Barton, Coloccini and Duff from what I could see. Small things like that show a far greater team spirit of late, and it's wonderful to see. Also Shola and even Owen were all smiles :thup:

Im starting to think that Gutierrez is a bit nutty, he seem "special" in so many ways.

And he couldnt be cooler, Gutierrez is f-ing mint

I love him because we both share the curse of freakishly long arms.

lucky you! i have to share the curse of a freakishly long cock with Shola  :-[