Sébastien Bassong (now retired)

Crumpy Gunt

Haven't seen his display against Boro, but really glad the lad is impressing and finally we have real options at the back. Cacapa should be ashamed of his talent, direct from France and upstaged by a kid. Good work Bassong.

Disclaimer: It is not my intention to have a go at Taylor.

In response to the article maybe I should be a world class scout then, because I'll tell you what, after watching Bassong's first appearance in the summer I could tell he was a better defender than Taylor.

3 things stood out immediately. More strength, pace and most importantly excellent balance. You just never see him stumbling or losing his feet. Not looking to knock Taylor here, but in comparison, I'm still not sure what exactly Taylor does well.

I really don't know what these coaches amd managers are watching everyday in training, if Bassong has caught them by surprise this much.

At least they are recognizing how good he has been. Hopefully he keeps his place as he deserves to and isn't shunted to left back or dropped.

Guest Darth Toon

Looks a very good player.

I think it would be wrong to bring Taylor back for Stoke - their throw-in threat is far less away from home because you don't have such a skinny pitch, and far less time is spent attacking. So far, Stoke have managed only 2 points and 3 goals away this season.

The current back 4 are all 6ft + anyway, so if it's not broke, don't try fix it.

Looks a very good player.

I think it would be wrong to bring Taylor back for Stoke - their throw-in threat is far less away from home because you don't have such a skinny pitch, and far less time is spent attacking. So far, Stoke have managed only 2 points and 3 goals away this season.

The current back 4 are all 6ft + anyway, so if it's not broke, don't try fix it.

:thup:

Didn't realise the bit in bold in particular.

For basically nothing over the summer, we acquired Jonas, Colo, and Bassong, all key parts of the squad now, Guthrie, who's playing decently with a lot of potential, Xisco, who came in with a great reputation and will hopefully be given a chance at some point, and :nile:, who looks to be the most promising youngster to come through the ranks in ages.

Yes Ashley deserves the stick for not investing in the squad (how brilliant we'd be right now had he spent the cash for a central midfielder and a left back), but damn, we must have some amazing scouts.

Certainly looking better than the fellas Keane got for 30m+ down the road...

Guest Heneage

What I'm a bit baffled by is, his strengths are clearly his physicality, you wonder why no one rivaled us for him, even a team just entering Ligue 1.

Don-t want to urinate on anyone-s chips... but wasnt it some cockerney fella who signed him? hahahahahahahahahah!!

Don---------------------t worry you-------------------------------------------------------------------------re not.

What I'm a bit baffled by is, his strengths are clearly his physicality, you wonder why no one rivaled us for him, even a team just entering Ligue 1.

In Ligue 1, I would imagine it being more technical rather than physical. I wouldn't say that Bassong is that good technically, but superb physically. His strengths from what I have saw are the ability to read the game, decent acceleration, strength and good heading ability. Technically he isn't that great, but can get by on his attributes. This is probably why he is more accomplished as a centre half rather than a full back as he offers little attacking threat, but can sweep up nicely. I've been very impressed with him since he signed, which is all I could go on as he wasn't heard of before the move.

Perhaps clubs didn't want to take a risk on a player who was in a relegated side?

Guest Howaythetoon

Pace, strength and athleticism - all good attributes to have in a centre-half especially in wor league. Does he have the bit between the ears though? Time will tell. Impressing on a weekly basis thus far.

Haven't seen his display against Boro, but really glad the lad is impressing and finally we have real options at the back. Cacapa should be ashamed of his talent, direct from France and upstaged by a kid. Good work Bassong.

A bit harsh on Cacapa tbh. He was at the end of his career when he'd signed and wasn't at an age where he could adapt to the Premiership, whereas Bassong is a kid who is at an age where physically he can.

Should we be worried that Wenger is going to be coming sniffing around Bassong ?

You make it sound like a dog sniffing a turd in a park.

Bassong's had two or three stand out games. Let's not go mad. I'm still waiting for Arsenal's swoop for the Zog to materialise...

Guest firetotheworks

A bit harsh on Cacapa tbh. He was at the end of his career when he'd signed and wasn't at an age where he could adapt to the Premiership, whereas Bassong is a kid who is at an age where physically he can.

Agreed, I think Cacapa was probably a very very good defender, just too old to adapt to a faster league. You can tell by the way the Lyon fans were when he left that he must have been very good. I know the French league is shite, but Lyon were in the Champions League. He has shown class in a few games for us but ever since that Portsmouth game he's been undeniably very poor. He shouldn't be ashamed though, he's just past his bed time.