Kinnear Out

oldtype

I don't think stats could ever do justice to how Keegan got us playing at the end of last season.

Fair comment. :nods:

I'd settle for points rather than performances atm though. ;)

Just think how good those stats would have looked if we hadn't conceded late goals against City, Wigan and Stoke.

I don't think stats could ever do justice to how Keegan got us playing at the end of last season.

Couldn't agree more, I'm struggling to form opinions let alone type right now though, tomorrow might be tricky :(

Ouch. Good luck chap.  :lol:

Just think how good those stats would have looked if we hadn't conceded late goals against City, Wigan and Stoke.

Absolutely. If we'd held out against those 3 we'd be looking at Europe. It's a fine line between success and failure this year.

The reason JFK's with us at all is because no other bugger would touch the job, not even El Tel for a truckload of cash.  I fear if JFK is shown the door that only leaves Dave Bassett that Dennis Wise can personally recommend.  In which case we've had it.

Plenty of managers showing interest until the fans hoyed their toys out of the pram with their daft protests, the sad thing is some of us could see that no good was going to come from it and would end up hurting the club more than helping it.

From the likes of Deschamps and Terim showing interest to Kinnear and Venables, the protests clearly done the trick.

I think it's more likely they saw the deal on the table and decided against it

Keegan's league record last season:

Played 16

Won 4

Drawn 5

Lost 7

Points 17

For 18

Against 26

Kinnear's league record so far this season:

Played 11

Won 3

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Points 15

For 17

Against 13

Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong btw. Just facts and figures so far and obviously the opposition was different etc. Quite interesting reading though. :)

Losing only 2 in 11 is fantastic, we havent actually been comprehensively beaten yet.

Couldn't agree more, I'm struggling to form opinions let alone type right now though, tomorrow might be tricky :(

Cheers middo! Not been to this job with a proper hangover yet, we'll see how it goes.... I wonder if it helps that my boss is a Pompey fan?

Cheers mido! Not been to this job with a proper hangover yet, we'll see how it goes.... I wonder if it helps that my boss is a Pompey fan?

I don't have a bomb you know.

Thing is, Kinnear's brief would clearly have been to just keep us in the premiership. To do that he would have realised he had to make us much harder to beat first and foremost. Yes some of his late changes have been overly negative and have cost us, but I still think he's doing a decent job.

He's also an easy target for the media which doesn't help his cause much.

Played 16

Won 4

Drawn 5

Lost 7

Points 17

For 18

Against 26

Played 11

Won 3

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Points 15

For 17

Against 13

Not trying to prove anyone right or wrong btw. Just facts and figures so far and obviously the opposition was different etc. Quite interesting reading though. :)

Losing only 2 in 11 is fantastic, we havent actually been comprehensively beaten yet.

Took a penalty at Fulham, and a free-kick at Sunderland, to actually beat us.

Those stats are pretty interesting, shows that we've managed to tighten up at the back without reducing our goal threat much at all. Helps that we seem to have decided on a settled back four that are performing, and Bassong turned out to be a transfer of the season contender.

he's getting some unfair flak, Kinnear. He's got the players heads up and some spirit in the club, very difficult under the current circumstances and its what we need if we are going to stay up. Thats all that matters, his public comments are irrelevant, and some of the rants are staged anyway to promote the spirit in the dressing room.

Whether he will get the job long term and whether he's worth it, I don't know, it depends what he does with the clubs money and how much he gets.

Very sensible post

Remarkably so.

you don't say.

Most of my posts are sensible, its just that your "opinions" aren't factually based.

Whatever.

Must say putting those facts in front of my eyes takes me aback - 2 defeats in 11! Despite the usual dross thats served up, first things first, you're hard to beat.

Turn a couple of draws into wins and WORLD DOMINATION IS ACHIEVED!

Ish.

Those stats are pretty interesting, shows that we've managed to tighten up at the back without reducing our goal threat much at all. Helps that we seem to have decided on a settled back four that are performing, and Bassong turned out to be a transfer of the season contender.

its amazing what one good performance and result does in the u-turn stakes.

FWIW, as I have said a couple of times, Kinnear has got the heads up inside the club and this is what is most important at this time.

It doesn't disguise the fact that the idiotic owner has got it all wrong, its only papering over the cracks.

He's doing a decent job with a shit set of cards and may yet keep us up but I doubt that people will understand the credit he would deserve for it, if he does.

Played 16

Won 4

Drawn 5

Lost 7

Points 17

For 18

Against 26

Played 11

Won 3

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Points 15

For 17

Against 13

Interesting indeed.

May well work out about half a million quid per point cheaper, too.

Must say putting those facts in front of my eyes takes me aback - 2 defeats in 11! Despite the usual dross thats served up, first things first, you're hard to beat.

Turn a couple of draws into wins and WORLD DOMINATION IS ACHIEVED!

Ish.

bare in mind 2 of those draws were from winning positions,at home and to last minute equalisers.....mid table was ours.

Is it not the case that Keegan took over a team that was absolutely shit with no confidence whatsoever? I'm not saying two defeats in eleven isn't impressive, but the two situations are not completely comparable.

Played 16

Won 4

Drawn 5

Lost 7

Points 17

For 18

Against 26

Played 11

Won 3

Drawn 6

Lost 2

Points 15

For 17

Against 13

Took a penalty at Fulham, and a free-kick at Sunderland, to actually beat us.

The thing thats impressed me most with him is that he actually has us defending as a unit, we've been able to absord lots of pressure and not rely on attack to get us out of sticky sitautoions. Even Keegan and SBR couldnt manage that. In recent years, going down a goal has knocked the wind out of us but he does seem to be geting some excellent performances out of our back unit.

Is it not the case that Keegan took over a team that was absolutely s*** with no confidence whatsoever? I'm not saying two defeats in eleven isn't impressive, but the two situations are not completely comparable.

What was different when Kinnear took over?

Not a snappy question, as I'm not particularly in the know

Is it not the case that Keegan took over a team that was absolutely s*** with no confidence whatsoever? I'm not saying two defeats in eleven isn't impressive, but the two situations are not completely comparable.

We weren't as shit.

We weren't as s***.

Surely wasnt that much difference in the teams bar maybe Jonas.

We weren't as shit.

I see your point, but we were woeful under Hughton. Not comparable and i agree with you, i see Keegans tenureship as 2 parts as well. 2 in 11 is a telling stat though.