West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I wouldn't mind him for £5-7m. He's been getting into some very good positions in the past few games, so his game is slowly returning. He just needs a couple of goals for the sake of confidence and then he'll be off. He could have had two against us, could have had one or two against Blackburn. I think he's actually been unlucky recently, and his confidence is shot.

He's never worth £35m, though, and he's not one of the best strikers in the Premiership. But, he's still a good striker on his day and when the team plays to his strengths, he'll be able to get you 15 in the league in any given year. So he's still all right and we would be getting him really cheap if he did return at say £7m. I put him at £15m before he left and a bit less than that is still his fair market value today - for someone young and English.

A part of me wants him back and scoring because we're going past Liverpool in the next couple of seasons. It would be sweet if Carroll was scoring for us while we did it. But another part of me wants him to remain a drain on their resources and be a symbol of Dalglish's crazy transfers, which will get him sacked in the end.

Can't see it happening, it'd be a huge embarrassment to Liverpool and to Dalglish.

If it were possible, I'd hope it was to pair him with Ba and not to replace him or even a swap deal for Ba further down the line. I wouldn't put anything past Ashley. I think he's still a good player with potential to bang in 15+ a season, and if he'd come good anywhere it'd be here. The way we're set up right now though there's nobody who can regularly put the kind of high crosses that Barton was swinging in last season.

If he did come back, hopefully it would show Tiote, Ba and the others being linked away from our club, that life isn't always better on the other side.

At the end of the day, if we could get him back, he'd likely be a decent player for us alongside Ba, so I'd be happy to have him.

Got 35M for him. If we could buy him back for 10M plus sensible wages it should be a no brainer. Lpool won't sell for that mind.

We're hardly blessed with striking options and between the media trying to unsettle Ba and his ticking bomb knee the one genuine goal threat we have is under threat.

Whilst I am sceptical of the story, the one thing that makes it interesting is that it is written by Rob Beasley who is the former NOW journalist that does get to speak to Ashley.  That makes me think there could be something in it.

No thanks.

If he was forced to sign a transfer request + other alleged mistreatment by owners would he want to come back?  Could we keep him on the rails without Nolan?  He's been an unmitigated disaster at Liverpool and I feel they've done a good job at trying to accommodate him.  Is wanting him back a sign saying we're his level or that we have a team that can get the best out of him? What would he even be on in terms of wages given that he was making Fuck You money there? 

Even at £10m, it now feels like a gamble. We don't know how much his confidence and focus have been knocked by his experiences at Liverpool.

Besides, he's not the kind of striker we should be looking for. We need someone with good pace and movement.

Ba has good pace and movement.

Carroll is no gamble at £10m.

How can you say that though? He's been shite for as long as he's been good. Just because it's £20-25m cheaper than we sold him for shouldn't hide the fact we'd be signing a majorly out-of-form striker low in confidence. He'd also probably be one of our highest earners if he came back as well.

If Carroll did return I could definitely see Pardew getting him going again, that's not really a concern so I don't think 10m is that much of a gamble. I think the story is a complete non-starter though. Liverpool taking a 25m hit on the transfer and a massive egg on your face for Dalglish, just can't see it. Both parties seem to have moved on but it has been a disastrous move for Carroll and considering where he was challenging for England he's dropped right down out of favour now. Everything about him seems to have suffered as a result and its funny you often don't realise how good you had it until you leave. He must be thinking now "christ I had the number 9 and was banging them in in front of the Gallowgate worshipped by thousands" That was then mate, strange how things work out.

In his poor games, he looks like a good player playing badly to me. He's still the best player in the league in the air.

True but nowhere near worth £10m and £60k a week (which I'm guessing is around what we'd pay him a week if he agreed to the paydrop in the first place).

'IF' circa £10m is the price that Liverpool are willing to part with him then there will be a canny list of clubs who'll be interested.

They, like everyone outside the red half of mersyside, will realise that it was the wrong club at the wrong time playing the wrong tactics for him.

No guarantee that he'd be the rampaging bull of a centre forward we had here but i'd put money on him not being the shadow of Bensham he is now.

£10m - low risk gamble, shame its probably 99% crap though.

Guest Roger Kint

he's not the kind of striker we should be looking for.

Simple as. 

We've moved on.

Absolutely! time to let go. Anyway his off field habits would put me off him.

And his £90k wages......

Ba has good pace and movement.

Carroll is no gamble at £10m.

Can't agree with you about Ba. He's strong physically and technically, but he's not the most mobile of strikers. That goes with his physique.

As for Carroll, there's the psychological impact of going from England's brightest young star (supposedly) to a reserve player who his club wants rid of. Some players will just dust themselves off from a setback and quickly start all over again. Carroll is young, he seems to have a bit of an ego and I'm not sure how he'd handle it.