West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Is it just me or should this only ever be a loan deal, cos paying £15m for a 3rd choice striker seems unbelievably OTT. I have to echo the sentiments of everyone who's mentioned that Carroll would be detrimental to a 4-3-3, which would be my preferred formation. The promise shown in some of the games at the back end of last season was nothing short of brilliant, and began to truly unleash cabaye and Ben Arfa

Guest NobbyOhNobby

What were we doing when we bid for Luuk De Jong and why wasn't that OTT?

All the itk's were saying de Jong could play anywhere across a front 3, so was potentially a far more flexible attacking option as opposed to Carroll, who is completely one-dimensional

I have been thinking about this the last few days, and i am torn tbh.

Carroll was fantastic for us when he was here, young English striker, tearing defenders apart. He looked like he had evolved into a good all round striker. Beast in the air, showed signed of a decent technique, good shooting. I was trilled to have him here, a homegrown potentially star striker on our books.

Then he was sold, i was crushed tbh.

Now, lets say he is available for £15m. Its a fair price for him tbh, and i still think he is a very good player. My problem with this is that we are not the same team as we was 18 months ago. We seems, at least from our resent buys that we want a 433/4231 formation. Or at least i dear hope its the path we are taking.

And frankly i have problems to fit Carroll in at the moment. We have Cisse, who have been absolutely awesome for us. Then we have Ba, who have done well both centrally and out wide, but he wants a more central role.

So, in our position, without knowing what Pardew thinks, and how he wants us to play, is £15m for Carroll well invested money? I think the timing is off, right player at the wrong time. Would we be better off with a player similar to HBA? I think so. A wide striker/winger, who could go in to play instead of Ba, if Cisse is out, Ba could play in the center. It would fit our squad much better, and give us more options.

I am a little confused, we seem to buy players for a 433/4231 formation, but deep down i know Pardew likes his 442.

I love how we are doing and Pardew as our manager. But i can not get my head around what the "final plan" is for our way of football.

Either way, i just have to trust Pardew and the board to do the right thing.

And just the thought of us buying a player for that kind of money was really unthinkable a few years ago. It is good times to support this club, and it has been a long time coming. Howay :lol:

Share those thoughts basically, I'm not sure whether Pards is really convinced on the 4-3-3 at all. If not, then Carroll is a good signing from his point of view.

If are going to play three up though, which I think suits the majority of our players, then we would be much better signing a mobile and creative player for the left of the three, then Ba and Cisse can rotate the main spot.

Guest firetotheworks

What were we doing when we bid for Luuk De Jong and why wasn't that OTT?

All the itk's were saying de Jong could play anywhere across a front 3, so was potentially a far more flexible attacking option as opposed to Carroll, who is completely one-dimensional

So De Jong would be a starter then? And not a circa 15m 3rd choice?

13 million plus Ba..  :yao:

We'll offer a 1 million loan fee and to pay half of his wages for a year loan, with maybe a fixed fee at the end of that, and if they don't accept that they can fuck right off.

f***ing hell. There are some seriously short memories on here like.

Not really, everyone knows he performed well for us but most are saying the lad has some flaws, which is fair. He's a good athlete but an average footballer who needs certain things his way to be effective and we've moved on from that style.

Guest Phil K

Any transfer which moves Ba to those c***s can f*** right off. 

Agree, but far more worried about them wanting Cisse for Carroll.

The fact we haven't seen hide nor hair of Papis, and he hasn't been mentioned at all by our side, but plenty by Liverpool fans worries me. (Still don't fully trust you know who)

Any transfer which moves Ba to those c***s can f*** right off. 

Agree, but far more worried about them wanting Cisse for Carroll.

The fact we haven't seen hide nor hair of Papis, and he hasn't been mentioned at all by our side, but plenty by Liverpool fans worries me. (Still don't fully trust you know who)

He's there with the squad but ill (hence why he missed the last game).

Mark Douglas ‏@MsiDouglas

Increasing optimism at #nufc about recruitment. Debuchy could be in by Mon, and another bid for Carroll (nearer £16m) being considered...

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/facepalm/grand/mma_facepalm_gif.gif