West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best doesn't "deserve a chance." We're a Premier League club, not Jim'll Fix It.

ok we should all take your crap and moan when he scores i hate people like

you

Chance would be a fine thing.

Should have burst the net :lol:  he wasn't 6 yards out. I don't understand why people get so angry at the suggestion we might give players a chance. Good luck when you get fit Gosling :thup:

A striker should be getting that on target, he didn't. Nobody else's fault but his own and I certainly don't see how it's any sort of justification for him getting another chance.

Best has had time to prove himself. Granted it wasnt very long, but at the end of the day he failed to score in 11(?) championship games for us, add that to the fact he hasnt showed he might have the ability to do well in the PL at any point in his career, could anyone blame Hughton or anyone else for not having faith in him to get the goals to keep us up?

He'll get his chances, if he impresses in training/pre season/in substitute appearances this season then he'll earn the faith and change peoples minds. However I dont think he's good enough to do that. 

Not all forwards score goals, Heskey has made a pretty decent career at club and international level with a goalscoring record that would almost make Alan Smith cry. I do see your point, I just don't think he can be written off as entirely useless yet, even if he isn't going to suddenly transform into Drogba.

I doubt all of our current forwards added together will score as many goals as the leagues top scorer this coming season.  I'm not sure we'll have a single player who will get into double figures in the league.

To be fair, the signing isn't that bad. You've gotta consider

1.  Shola is very injury prone

2.  Andy is a troublemaker and is also kinda injury prone

3.  Loven is aging

4.  Ranger is still very very raw

We do need a young and average striker for back up.  At that moment we are not yet promoted and have no money. So the signing of Best isn't rlly that bad. Just not a great signing.

He is just 23 and we can easily sell him for $ so it won't be a huge loss either.

Guest palnese

3.  Loven is aging

We do need a young and average striker for back up.  At that moment we are not yet promoted and have no money. So the signing of Best isn't rlly that bad. Just not a great signing.

He is just 23 and we can easily sell him for $ so it won't be a huge loss either.

:idiot2: We have got loads of them. We need a starting striker!

3.  Loven is aging

Tell me how to get a starting striker with a budget below 3m. 

Guest palnese

3.  Loven is aging

Tell me why we need to spend a major part of our budget on a new average striker, when we dont need another?!

Tell me why we need to spend a major part of our budget on a new average striker, when we dont need another?!

Explained.  We need one at that time.  We are now safe and of couse you can say that's a waste of $.

If we have injury problem and forced to start Smith/Nolan as striker, and turn out cannot get the promotion, you will definitely crying for why not signing Best.

The logic is simple, we need an insurance, when we cannot afford a real deal striker.

While you say our major part of budget is wasted, I wonder which position you would like to improve BACK IN JANUARY when we cannot attract any proven EPL players.

I doubt all of our current forwards added together will score as many goals as the leagues top scorer this coming season.  I'm not sure we'll have a single player who will get into double figures in the league.

This - people arguing about the merits of Best and Lovenkrands are living in cuckoo land - neither are, or will prove to be , adequate for the Prem, and whilst he has time and some things going for him, the jury is still out on Carroll ; we won't know how effective he will be until midway through the season but I would put more money on him succeeding than the other 2 - and 'succeeding' means getting into double figures over the season...

• 4 weeks later...