West Ham agree fee in region of £15m with Liverpool for Andy Carroll

Pilko
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Most seem to think that him coming back here would automatically mean he'd regain that form as he'd put that extra effort in. Yet they're completely ignoring his off the field lifestyle and his dedication to being a professional athlete, who should have the motivation of justifying that price-tag as enough for him, yet he's went the complete opposite way.

I don't think anyone is that naïve, really. Although, for arguments sake, at £7-10m, I'd be more than happy with him in the form he's showing right now.

Previously when we had Carroll here we tended to look for the long ball as an easy get out and Krul was also blasting the ball 50 yards towards his head. I'm pretty sure that if he comes back that will happen again, and we can forget about any strides we've made towards moving to a passing game. These type of strikers tend to change the way you play. In fact when he moved to Liverpool I predicted that might happen.

I'm re-posting that for the benefit of Ronaldo in answer to the question about Stoke and the need for physical presence.

I reckon Carroll coming back could well signal a statement of faith in Pardew by the board and a return to 4-4-2.I'm surprised by the turnaround in opinion about having him back. Might make the tactics we currently employ temporarily more effective, but it will only serve to stunt the progress of the team long-term. If Carroll is the answer, you're asking the wrong question.

If he wasn't from here no one would even mention him.

He's played some fantastic football for us, I think that's the reason more than his geographic origin.

He's been pretty ordinary since he left which we tend to gloss over because of his geographical origin.

:thup:

I don't think anyone has actually glossed over this. Most saying they'd have him back, have acknowledged that he's yet to recapture the form he displayed here. However, at the minute, it looks as if he's going some way to doing just that.

It might be an illusion and foregone conclusion that some cling onto, yes.

Another take on it would be this: we're the only set of fans who's truly seen what Andy Carroll on form is capable of, game in and game out. In 2010, he was a monster from that game at WBA until we sold him. Of course his performances since have casted doubts over what his actual ability and contribution is, but we know there's a player in there that most fans haven't seen.

Most seem to think that him coming back here would automatically mean he'd regain that form as he'd put that extra effort in. Yet they're completely ignoring his off the field lifestyle and his dedication to being a professional athlete, who should have the motivation of justifying that price-tag as enough for him, yet he's went the complete opposite way.

I don't think anyone is that naïve, really. Although, for arguments sake, at £7-10m, I'd be more than happy with him in the form he's showing right now.

Previously when we had Carroll here we tended to look for the long ball as an easy get out and Krul was also blasting the ball 50 yards towards his head. I'm pretty sure that if he comes back that will happen again, and we can forget about any strides we've made towards moving to a passing game. These type of strikers tend to change the way you play. In fact when he moved to Liverpool I predicted that might happen.

I'm re-posting that for the benefit of Ronaldo in answer to the question about Stoke and the need for physical presence.

Cheers, very insightful.

He is a good link man and something we havent got now, which is an out ball. Hatem and his ilk would receive the ball further up the pitch with Carroll, and surely that benefits us. Id take him in a heartbeat.10-12 million, no danger.

How many times does Hatem skin his man and stand the ball up to the back post with his right foot?

Carroll will just peel off and dominate defences.

Wing backs with Carroll and Cisse up front with Hatem in behind is the future.

This for me, Haidara & Debuchy down the wings, Sissoko & Cabaye in the middle with Ben Arfa a little further ahead benhind Carroll & Cisse. It would play to the strengths of most the players and there' be a brilliant balance to the side.

How many times does Hatem skin his man and stand the ball up to the back post with his right foot?

This for me, Haidara & Debuchy down the wings, Sissoko & Cabaye in the middle with Ben Arfa a little further ahead benhind Carroll & Cisse. It would play to the strengths of most the players and there' be a brilliant balance to the side.

That's mouthwatering to be honest. But the CB's need to be bloody good, as they will not have too much protection.

That's mouthwatering to be honest. But the CB's need to be bloody good, as they will not have too much protection.

True although Cabaye & Sissoko would pick their runs forward carefully, with both taking turns when to sit in and help the defence. Plus both wing backs wouldnt have to boming forward at the same time.

True although Cabaye & Sissoko would pick their runs forward carefully, with both taking turns when to sit in and help the defence. Plus both wing backs wouldnt have to boming forward at the same time.

In reality we'll just have 8 men sitting in our own half while Krul wellies the ball down the field in Carroll's vicinity. If he wins the ball it might bounce somewhere near Cisse otherwise the opposition will take possession.

Guest bimpy474

There's a man missing there. Tiote behind Cabaye and Sissoko presumably.

Tiote

Cabaye Sissoko

HBA

Carroll Cisse

Looks good.

That looks fine, Pardew would then have us play/hoof the ball to wings were we had no fecker.

Fat c*** upfront but no-one to cross the ball? Or are Santon and Debuchy expected to supply crosses?

I think Haidara was mentioned in the original post.

Also, Cabaye and Ben Arfa, as well as players like Marveaux and Anita when they play, can get into the channels and supply crosses.