Shay Given signs for Manchester City for £5.9m plus add-ons

Guest Phil K

Gordon to sunderland for 9mil, Given to Man City for 8mil, something doesnt add up here, factor in the account that Given has talent and Man City are a decent club, should start talking at 16mil.

£8m for Shay might not be enough, but £9m for Gordon was a ridiculous sum of money so I wouldn't use that as a guide.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Never short of a word to say on how the club is being run at the moment, probably due to Sky`s David Craig`s personal` Shepherd hotline`, Freddie Shepherd did hit the right notes about our number one. Describing him as the club`s heartbeat, the prospective owner of Mallorca said:

"I am only a fan now but like all Newcastle fans I will be distraught if Shay is allowed to leave. He is the heartbeat of the team both on the field and in the dressing room and the loss would be tremendous.

Newcastle fans can only hope that the people who are running the club now realise this. As far as signings in the past 15 years go at Newcastle United, pound for pound Shay is second only to Alan Shearer.'

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=137803

Guest jonlane86

£5m + Benjani and I'd sell him, just think of Harper, Krul, Forster and even Soderberg as cover, Harper a more than able replacement for Given.

Never short of a word to say on how the club is being run at the moment, probably due to Sky`s David Craig`s personal` Shepherd hotline`, Freddie Shepherd did hit the right notes about our number one. Describing him as the club`s heartbeat, the prospective owner of Mallorca said:

"I am only a fan now but like all Newcastle fans I will be distraught if Shay is allowed to leave. He is the heartbeat of the team both on the field and in the dressing room and the loss would be tremendous.

Newcastle fans can only hope that the people who are running the club now realise this. As far as signings in the past 15 years go at Newcastle United, pound for pound Shay is second only to Alan Shearer.'

http://www.newcastle.vitalfootball.co.uk/article.asp?a=137803

It's not a slight on them but we had our best seasons in the Premier before either player arrived at Newcastle so Freddie is clearly bigging up signings mad under his tenure as opposed to those under the massively successful Keegan years under John Hall.

Id only sell Given for a good bit of money and no player exchange tbh. If we take a player aswell then we wont get a lot of money out of the deal, remember we are losing one of the most loyal and respectable players to be at this club in recent times, so I wouldn't want another player to be part of any deal. One because he will more than likely just end up another journey man or another mercenary and two because he will be under alot of pressure, it will be a case of we lost Given for this guy should he not come good here.

Id only sell Given for a good bit of money and no player exchange tbh. If we take a player aswell then we wont get a lot of money out of the deal, remember we are losing one of the most loyal and respectable players to be at this club in recent times, so I wouldn't want another player to be part of any deal. One because he will more than likely just end up another journey man or another mercenary and two because he will be under alot of pressure, it will be a case of we lost Given for this guy should he not come good here.

I think I would prefer a player/players. At least then we would know we will get something out of it and not just a boost to Ashleys bank account!

I think I would prefer a player/players. At least then we would know we will get something out of it and not just a boost to Ashleys bank account!

Ashley would only risk more unrest with the fans if he sold Given and didnt put the fee into the transfer kitty.

Ashley would only risk more unrest with the fans if he sold Given and didnt put the fee into the transfer kitty.

Does he give a fuck what we think any more?

If we do sell Given btw, i hope we don't waste the cash getting an immediate replacement for him. I'd have no gripes giving Harper the spot, until the end of the season at the very least. Hell - people were saying at the start of this season that he should first choice,  given his form under Keegan last term, and i could sympathise with them. Aye, we made the right choice putting Given back in there, but i'd have no fears giving Steve Harper the number 1 shirt.

If we get summat daft like £15m for Given then it'd be much better spent improving elsewhere, like another Sports Direct banner. Or maybe some Sports Direct-sponsored neon scoreboard above the Leazes End. Something like that. The boardroom needs re-carpeting aswell, last i heard, so again - there are so many avenues we can go down, rather than investing it all back into the keeper position.

If I knew the funds were going to be invested back into the squad and if Given wants to go and if City are desperate to sign him, I'd offer him to them, 'take it or leave it' for £17m.

That would be a good bit of business. He's fucking great but he's got his price, same as everyone else.

If I knew the funds were going to be invested back into the squad and if Given wants to go and if City are desperate to sign him, I'd offer him to them, 'take it or leave it' for £17m.

That would be a good bit of business. He's fucking great but he's got his price, same as everyone else.

Yeah, agree entirely. It would definitely have to be something extortionate like that though. They'd be getting, arguably, the most consistent goalkeeper in the Premiership at a brilliant age, so we can't be pissing about with figures of £8m. If they want him then they're gonna have to pay the high price that the contributing factors command.

Yeah, agree entirely. It would definitely have to be something extortionate like that though. They'd be getting, arguably, the most consistent goalkeeper in the Premiership at a brilliant age, so we can't be pissing about with figures of £8m. If they want him then they're gonna have to pay the high price that the contributing factors command.

They're shitting money. They seemingly can't spend it quickly enough. £17m take it or leave it, bish bash bosh, deal done in an afternoon, I think they'd go for it. 

Guest kingdawson

From an outsiders perspective, you'd be getting mugged off in that deal (especially considering it's city). £12M should be bare minimum, add to that you're unlikely to find a suitable replacement and it's january.

As for player exchange, im sure Hughes would be willing to throw in Elano in the deal but you should push for Sturridge if it's possible.

Guest kingdawson

We'd be selling him with Harper as his replacement tbh

yes but city wouldnt know that. Just tell them that it would be impossible to replace him and they'd probably add another £10M to the fee.

sell him for 12 million and we would have our defenders sorted out.

Sell zoggy for 6 million and replace with Bullard

Sell Shola, Edgar, Smith and Cacapa for 3 million and buy heskey

VOILA ICI!!

sell him for 12 million and we would have our defenders sorted out.

Sell zoggy for 6 million and replace with Bullard

Sell Shola, Edgar, Smith and Cacapa for 3 million and buy heskey

VOILA ICI!!

We'd have a better team, better squad (since Smith and Cacapa are useless) and knock millions per year off the wage bill, sounds like a plan.