Newcastle 0 - 1 Hull City (FA Cup) - 14/01/09 - Post match reaction from page 21

Dave

We've been hit by an injury crisis at the worst possible time, leaving the squad so thin has really come back to bite us in the arse, but we still have enough quality to be rolling over the Hull B team for f***s sake. I feel for the likes of Xisco, Edgar and Co I really do, what has that lad got to do to get a game? Well for one he could take a leaf out of Bassong's book, role up his sleeves, stop feeling sorry for himself and put in a performance. We don't need passengers right now and that's exactly what the man is behaving as, he's a paid professional for crying out loud.

Who are you on about?

Whenever we cart the fringe players out they understandably look rusty but they just don't seem to give a s***, in an injury crisis that isn't exactly ideal, a team in a dog fight can't really afford to be carrying dead weight.

You said 'he', I assumed you were talking about someone specifically. I also didn't see any of the fringe players behaving like that tonight.

I think he must be having a knee jerk moment Wullie as he still hasnt answered the question .

We've been hit by an injury crisis at the worst possible time, leaving the squad so thin has really come back to bite us in the arse, but we still have enough quality to be rolling over the Hull B team for f***s sake. I feel for the likes of Xisco, Edgar and Co I really do, what has that lad got to do to get a game? Well for one he could take a leaf out of Bassong's book, role up his sleeves, stop feeling sorry for himself and put in a performance. We don't need passengers right now and that's exactly what the man is behaving as, he's a paid professional for crying out loud.

Who are you on about?

Whenever we cart the fringe players out they understandably look rusty but they just don't seem to give a s***, in an injury crisis that isn't exactly ideal, a team in a dog fight can't really afford to be carrying dead weight.

You said 'he', I assumed you were talking about someone specifically. I also didn't see any of the fringe players behaving like that tonight.

I think he must be having a knee jerk moment Wullie as he still hasnt answered the question .

I thought he said "what are you on about?" not "who are you on about" hence calling it a night.

:laugh:

How the hell did Owen not get 2 goals tonight?

Was just thinking that. Fucking hell that Guthrie cross late on put it on a plate for him.

I make it six gilt-edged chances over the two ties. Not fucking good enough.

An awful game between two wretched sides. The bright side being we never had the squad to cope with a large cup run anyway.

Given- 6- Little to do, kicking was a bit off

Edgar-5- Not up to it

N'Zogbia-7- Best attacking threat

Bassong-6- Did okay

Collocini-5- Woeful distribution

Guttierez- 5- Lots of running, no end product, as usual

Duff-5- See above

Guthrie-5- One of his worst performances in a Newcastle shirt

Butt-4- Contributed nothing

Owen- 5- One bad miss

Xisco-5- One bad miss

Carroll-6- Put himself about

LuaLua-6- Some eyecatching runs

Overall: Forget the cup, its not as if we would have won the bloody thing.  :lol: The manner of the insipid performance, especially going forward was worrying though. Dark days ahead.

Was just thinking that. Fucking hell that Guthrie cross late on put it on a plate for him.

Sign of a side lacking in confidence more than anything else.

Only one man is responsible for the apparent lack of it.

Owen missing half a dozen great chances is because of the side lacking in confidence? Righto.

Michael Owen like most of the players at NUFC are not good enough, no heart and no fight.

Defenders are hardly going to be scared of Owen no pace at all and contributes nothing unless someone creates something its pointless even having him on the pitch, even when we are creating things for him these days he is missing them!

I honestly think Terry / Vidic etc would rather have to play against Owen than Martins / Carroll / Ameobi if we were not creating anything.

Owen missing half a dozen great chances is because of the side lacking in confidence? Righto.

Including himself. If he had the confidence he'd be banging them in.

Think back to this time last year - what did Keegan say the problem was? Lack of confidence. Well he bought the confidence back, and this bunch of players looked top quality.

New (good) manager equals more confidence equals better performances equals better results.

At the end of the day, the board have two responsibilities - managerial appointments and investment, and they need to sort the former out first, as he's not going to get the players playing above 50% their best, making any investment in new personnel completely pointless.

Including himself. If he had the confidence he'd be banging them in.

Think back to this time last year - what did Keegan say the problem was? Lack of confidence. Well he bought the confidence back, and this bunch of players looked top quality.

New (good) manager equals more confidence equals better performances equals better results.

At the end of the day, the board have two responsibilities - managerial appointments and investment, and they need to sort the former out first, as he's not going to get the players playing above 50% their best, making any investment in new personnel completely pointless.

i agree and thats exactly what i was thinking while watching the highlights

Just got back from the match. The DJ sounded out a very importing message to the players by playing Heartless by Kanye West. They were fkin heartless, talentless and just pathetic. I really feel what is the point of spending money to go to the match to watch that garbage and have my money paid virtually straight into their bank accounts (the players) .

I feel like a total Mug tbh.

That's it pretty much. Too many players merely marking time until the move on. The rest are either too young, or are merely here for the cash and f**k all else.

Sorry James but confidence doesnt eradicate quality and Owen had 2 chances tonight that lets face it, should have been goals. Also in terms of scoring goals, im not taking Owen's confidence as an excuse for him missing chances tonight on the back of him scoring at the weekend.

Sorry James but confidence doesnt eradicate quality and Owen had 2 chances tonight that lets face it, should have been goals. Also in terms of scoring goals, im not taking Owen's confidence as an excuse for him missing chances tonight on the back of him scoring at the weekend.

Then why do the likes of KK, Capello, Wenger and Ferguson always bleat on about confidence?

Aye, Owen scored at the weekend. What happenned? we fucked it up. Not going to do his confidence good one iota. And its not just about confidence in ones own ability, it is about confidence in the team, and if Owen doesn't have confidence in his team mates, he is not going to have the full mentality to consistently put the ball in the back of the net.

Then why do the likes of KK, Capello, Wenger and Ferguson always bleat on about confidence?

Aye, Owen scored at the weekend. What happenned? we fucked it up. Not going to do his confidence good one iota. And its not just about confidence in ones own ability, it is about confidence in the team, and if Owen doesn't have confidence in his team mates, he is not going to have the full mentality to consistently put the ball in the back of the net.

He was 1 on 1 with the keeper at one point, how does he not score given the quality he possesses? A ball is sailing to him, falling to his head perfectly, all he has to do is get it on target, again given his quality how does he not score? It has nothing to do with his confidence in his team mates. Like I already said, those were easy chances and confidence doesnt eradicate quality, he should have scored tonight, he had 2 good chances to do it and took neither.

The team fucking up at the weekend is irrelevant to Owen's confidence as a goal scorer, he scored and that does well for his confidence in terms of scoring goals if anything.

Aye, Owen scored at the weekend. What happenned? we f***ed it up. Not going to do his confidence good one iota. And its not just about confidence in ones own ability, it is about confidence in the team, and if Owen doesn't have confidence in his team mates, he is not going to have the full mentality to consistently put the ball in the back of the net.

He was 1 on 1 with the keeper at one point, how does he not score given the quality he possesses? A ball is sailing to him, falling to his head perfectly, all he has to do is get it on target, again given his quality how does he not score? It has nothing to do with his confidence in his team mates. Like I already said, those were easy chances and confidence doesnt eradicate quality, he should have scored tonight, he had 2 good chances to do it and took neither.

The team f***ing up at the weekend is irrelevant to Owen's confidence as a goal scorer, he scored and that does well for his confidence.

"The Bunk don't swim!"

Halfway through season two dude!

confidence doesnt eradicate quality

a lack of confidence diminishes a players quality, i cant see how there can even be any argument against that.