Newcastle 0 - 1 Hull City (FA Cup) - 14/01/09 - Post match reaction from page 21

Dave

Guest Sheriff John Bunnell (Ret

We shld change our name to Newcastlol.... Pretty embarassing getting knocked out by Hull 2nd string... But i suppose with the amount of fit players we have it maybe isnt a bad thing getting knocked out 1st clip... Not really as if we had a chance of winning the cup...

I've seen a little talk of relegation on here. I'd argue that your situation is slightly different to clubs mentioned such as Watford, Southampton, Norwich, Wolves etc. You have guaranteed revenue, Newcastle are a big club and have a great infrastructure. It could be argued that Southampton have a fantastic infrastructure and facilities also, but they have not got guaranteed attendances, which Newcastle with football being 'religion' in the north-east would maintain better. Such guaranteed revenue and general lack of debt (thanks to Mike Ashley, who arguably is preparing to bounce back from relegation  :razz:) would mean that Newcastle wouldn't go the way of Leeds, in terms of having to sell players and do things on the cheap. Of course, Newcastle wouldn't be 'big-spenders', but in the same way that Birmingham/WBA have been able to spend whilst in the Championship at a sustained rate, due to attendances/merchandising/general fixed fanbase would be more than enough to get you back out. There are a load of players, who are sub-standard to your side at the moment who would kill to play for Newcastle (would Ameobi leave if relegated? Other players who support Newcastle, but are scattered across the Championship etc. would not be put off as the potential is there to see). Also, if Ashley decided to sell on the back of relegation, the huge potential for a large club and relatively cheap price due to relegation would see that you get a half-decent backer who'd at least bankroll promotion. Southampton, Watford etc. have fans who don't necessarily stay through thick and thin, some who go to watch good teams play, who'd then flock to Reading/Portsmouth from Southampton or Arsenal/Tottenham when the plucky little local club drops out of the top flight. Attendances would drop for Newcastle, but fairweather fans wouldn't flock to Boro/Sunderland, staying loyal, perhaps buying merchandise and attending the odd cut-price game, but not disappearing completely.

Relegation for Portsmouth would be a disaster. Huge debt, unsustainable wage bill, crap facilities, craphole of a place. Relegation for Newcastle would be a chance to regroup. Little debt, players who would play for the club at a lower wage (those perhaps who weren't deemed good enough and were sold to CCC teams), great facilities, not a place that players would wish to avoid like the plague either. Playing in front of 40,000 a week (which it perhaps would be if you were relegated) is something that any player who may not be good enough to play for a top team, would want to do every week. Playing at SJP would be an honour to a lot of players, playing at Fratton Park/Vicarage Road/half-empty St Marys. Not necessarily so. I think you'd bounce back either in the first or second season if you were to be relegated. You wouldn't linger in the second tier like Coventry, Newcastle is much bigger than Coventry. Coventry's a fucking shithole.

People seeming to forget, it's the same team in the League as in the Cup

Beat me to it by seconds mate. Some people can say about concentrating on the Prem all they want, but the team we put out tonight, bar maybe Enrique, will play away against Blackburn at the weekend and based on tonights game will almost certainly lose. Also Martins is back in 2 weeks, Beye and Barton, god knows when they are back so we are looking at weeks with this current squad. If the sitters fall to Martins instead of Owen, we have a chance to stay up.

Another thing, (yes, another), far too many people on these boards and in the stands at SJP seem to forget the psychological side of football. Real life isn't just like Football Manager, where you can buy players who have the best ability and they play well after the third game despite not having any form of understanding.

Xisco, shunned by Kinnear for week after week, thrown in tonight and told that it is "crunch time"?

Kadar, Ranger and Donaldson, who can't even get a few minutes despite 12 players missing?

Steve Harper, who won't even get a run out in a cup game?

Losing again to a clearly inferior side at home, again, in front of angry fans?

The squad's confidence must be on the fucking floor, and losing tonight just makes that even worse. The players are scared to try anything audacious, to gamble, in case they miss or do it wrong. Something different or audacious is just what we need, a moment of magic, a leader who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and says "fuck it, I'm going to try my best, go for the 10-90 balls and stick my neck out regardless of the outcome". And what do we have? A player who is currently missing chance after chance, offering nowt to the team and who clearly wants to leave the club as soon as he can?

There are problems at this club from boardroom to dressing room, and the saddest part is, it will get worse before it gets better.

Stop talking so much sense, you're going to confuse people.

It's a good post. It also doesn't say much different to what my post does.

True, but I came out of Pilko's post without wanting to tie myself to a train track and end it all immediately. His prose has such a youthful optimism compared to your withered, grumpy old man approach.  :aww:

I've seen a little talk of relegation on here. I'd argue that your situation is slightly different to clubs mentioned such as Watford, Southampton, Norwich, Wolves etc. You have guaranteed revenue, Newcastle are a big club and have a great infrastructure. It could be argued that Southampton have a fantastic infrastructure and facilities also, but they have not got guaranteed attendances, which Newcastle with football being 'religion' in the north-east would maintain better. Such guaranteed revenue and general lack of debt (thanks to Mike Ashley, who arguably is preparing to bounce back from relegation  :razz:) would mean that Newcastle wouldn't go the way of Leeds, in terms of having to sell players and do things on the cheap. Of course, Newcastle wouldn't be 'big-spenders', but in the same way that Birmingham/WBA have been able to spend whilst in the Championship at a sustained rate, due to attendances/merchandising/general fixed fanbase would be more than enough to get you back out. There are a load of players, who are sub-standard to your side at the moment who would kill to play for Newcastle (would Ameobi leave if relegated? Other players who support Newcastle, but are scattered across the Championship etc. would not be put off as the potential is there to see). Also, if Ashley decided to sell on the back of relegation, the huge potential for a large club and relatively cheap price due to relegation would see that you get a half-decent backer who'd at least bankroll promotion. Southampton, Watford etc. have fans who don't necessarily stay through thick and thin, some who go to watch good teams play, who'd then flock to Reading/Portsmouth from Southampton or Arsenal/Tottenham when the plucky little local club drops out of the top flight. Attendances would drop for Newcastle, but fairweather fans wouldn't flock to Boro/Sunderland, staying loyal, perhaps buying merchandise and attending the odd cut-price game, but not disappearing completely.

Relegation for Portsmouth would be a disaster. Huge debt, unsustainable wage bill, crap facilities, craphole of a place. Relegation for Newcastle would be a chance to regroup. Little debt, players who would play for the club at a lower wage (those perhaps who weren't deemed good enough and were sold to CCC teams), great facilities, not a place that players would wish to avoid like the plague either. Playing in front of 40,000 a week (which it perhaps would be if you were relegated) is something that any player who may not be good enough to play for a top team, would want to do every week. Playing at SJP would be an honour to a lot of players, playing at Fratton Park/Vicarage Road/half-empty St Marys. Not necessarily so. I think you'd bounce back either in the first or second season if you were to be relegated. You wouldn't linger in the second tier like Coventry, Newcastle is much bigger than Coventry. Coventry's a fucking shithole.

There are nice parts of Coventry GG,and indeed shit parts,though,their stadium wanks all over Watford's,which also has parts even Scousers would find inhabitable.

Another thing, (yes, another), far too many people on these boards and in the stands at SJP seem to forget the psychological side of football. Real life isn't just like Football Manager, where you can buy players who have the best ability and they play well after the third game despite not having any form of understanding.

Xisco, shunned by Kinnear for week after week, thrown in tonight and told that it is "crunch time"?

Kadar, Ranger and Donaldson, who can't even get a few minutes despite 12 players missing?

The squad's confidence must be on the fucking floor, and losing tonight just makes that even worse. The players are scared to try anything audacious, to gamble, in case they miss or do it wrong. Something different or audacious is just what we need, a moment of magic, a leader who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and says "fuck it, I'm going to try my best, go for the 10-90 balls and stick my neck out regardless of the outcome". And what do we have? A player who is currently missing chance after chance, offering nowt to the team and who clearly wants to leave the club as soon as he can?

There are problems at this club from boardroom to dressing room, and the saddest part is, it will get worse before it gets better.

True, but I came out of Pilko's post without wanting to tie myself to a train track and end it all immediately. His prose has such a youthful optimism compared to your withered, grumpy old man approach.  :aww:

:lol:

Touché.

What the f*** are we paying Michael Owen for? World class my arse. You can get away with missing chances if you contribute otherwise but it's getting f***ing ridiculous now. He's averaging 1.34 missed sitters per game by my count.

Hurry back Obafemi Martins or we are seriously f***ed.

It's so hard watching Owen. Same expression all the time. No passion. No anger. No frustration. Nothing.

This is the problem with Owen ... we can talk about his 1 in 2 strike rate all we want but ultimately it's not getting us enough results. He is pretty much lacking in every other area, so unless he is scoring almost every chance he gets he is a bitch of a pain in the backside. It of course doesn't help that he is apparently the captain and never acts like one and he is on such a huge wage and he is expected to leave on a free at the season's end.

I would rather have Darren Bent at this point. Without a shadow of a doubt.

That's nice.

:aww:

Just back in from the game. Worst Newcastle team I've seen in nearly 20 years. Something is very seriously wrong at the club and it's there for all to see, in the body language and demeanor of the players on the park. Just no will to win the game tonight, against what was more-a-less Hull reserves. If the players and management aren't arsed about the FA Cup, then fine - but it's a slap in the face for the 30000 that went tonight.

If tonight is to become regular fare - then we are knackered. Questions need to be asked of Ashley and Wise and they may well be. There will be no response however. The club is being ran/wound down.

Guest neesy111

The squad's confidence must be on the f***ing floor, and losing tonight just makes that even worse. The players are scared to try anything audacious, to gamble, in case they miss or do it wrong. Something different or audacious is just what we need, a moment of magic, a leader who takes the game by the scruff of the neck and says "f*** it, I'm going to try my best, go for the 10-90 balls and stick my neck out regardless of the outcome". And what do we have? A player who is currently missing chance after chance, offering nowt to the team and who clearly wants to leave the club as soon as he can?

What like Owen to head a ball in from 6 yards out?

He's missing all these chances and yet still gets picked every week (regardless of the injury situation) and he wants to leave, won't sign a new contract, and he's STILL in the team and never gets subbed (bar 1 time I think).

The players behind him in the pecking order will just give up in training. No matter how hard they try to impress Kinnear, do you really think they are thinking "yeah, i'll get my chance because Owen is notoriously short of form!"?

No, they will have no confidence. And that is what my entire post before covered. The lack of confidence.

The first thing a captain needs is passion. The second is the ability to lead by example. Owen has neither.

great post, i thought that i was the only 1 who felt like that

What the f*** are we paying Michael Owen for? World class my arse. You can get away with missing chances if you contribute otherwise but it's getting f***ing ridiculous now. He's averaging 1.34 missed sitters per game by my count.

It's so hard watching Owen. Same expression all the time. No passion. No anger. No frustration. Nothing.

This is the problem with Owen ... we can talk about his 1 in 2 strike rate all we want but ultimately it's not getting us enough results. He is pretty much lacking in every other area, so unless he is scoring almost every chance he gets he is a bitch of a pain in the backside. It of course doesn't help that he is apparently the captain and never acts like one and he is on such a huge wage and he is expected to leave on a free at the season's end.

All the qualities you want in a captain.

Just back in from the game. Worst Newcastle team I've seen in nearly 20 years. Something is very seriously wrong at the club and it's there for all to see, in the body language and demeanor of the players on the park. Just no will to win the game tonight, against what was more-a-less Hull reserves. If the players and management aren't arsed about the FA Cup, then fine - but it's a slap in the face for the 30000 that went tonight.

If tonight is to become regular fare - then we are knackered. Questions need to be asked of Ashley and Wise and they may well be. There will be no response however. The club is being ran/wound down.

I only listened to it on the radio but they made out that we were the better team for the majority of it and if it wasn't for poor finishing from Owen we would have won the game comfortably.

Was that not the case then?

Absolutely spot on.

Well if the players are going to throw it away anyway then maybe we have to do something very drastic and accept offers for all of the bastards that don't want to be around, as it is clearly destroying morale.

Owen and his wait till the end of the season bollox can go to hell.

Given has done so much but if he is really fed up and moping around the place then let him go.

Zoggy should be sent on his way with a good hard kick in the nuts the cheeky t***.

If we can then get replacements for them in then lets do it.

Guest toonbaz

All the qualities you want in a captain.

just got back and that was exactly what i was thinking tonight, why is he our captain, never once saw him talking or trying to lift any of the players around him tonight

I only listened to it on the radio but they made out that we were the better team for the majority of it and if it wasn't for poor finishing from Owen we would have won the game comfortably.

Was that not the case then?

The performance was all fur coat and no knickers.

Guest neesy111

It's hardly a surprise we got beat, we're shit. 4 wins in the last 22 games is relegation form.

That cant be right? Can it? ???

it's 5 win's including the win v coventry in the lc