Kinnear offered 2.5/3.5 year contract extension

SUPERTOON

For the last 6 months or so have been such a disaster in general(well...really since Sir Bobby was sacked). The club seems to have no idea where to go and to offer JK a permanent job is nothing short of a nightmare IMO. Not sure if this is just rumours but Mr.Ashley has done even more insane decisions in the past so I guess it could be true as well.

I started to support Newcastle because they used to be very entertaining club with the best fans in the world. Fans are still mostly great...but it's such a long way the club have gone downfall and there's nothing to prove that anything´s gonna improve any time soon that supporting and trying to remain positive about the future has become pretty much impossible! I think the current trend of bringing in some "potential" youngsters is the way to go if we really are so short of some real money but taking a break for like 5 years(and turning attention to Barca or something...) could be the best option considering the mental health! Season is more or less over for us as I really can't believe for us to relegate(even Butt and co's are too "good" for that) because we're really are "too good" for that if you really compare the player material and everything else with the clubs around us in the table.

I'm kinda glad that I haven't been able to watch the last couple of games from TV and the Blackburn game isn't broadcasted live either. Back to basics with our so called 1st team and I'll be satisfied to cheer for our youth and reserve teams instead as they're actually able to bring some joy for us. No matter how pissed I am at the moment and sure I'm not gonna stop following Newcastle but no doubt it's just a huge waste of time... :no:

How is that possible that every single fan of the club can see the problems but the owner and managers have no clue about it? :doh:

Do these players that are theoretically unwilling to sign in case Kinnear goes see something in him that everyone else does not? ???

Yeah, they see the manager who rated them enough to sign them being potentially replaced by someone else.

They've probably also seen what happens when managers leave - Xisco.

If this is actually true then Nicky Butt must be jumping for joy

I can see Butt leaving on a free at the end of the season. Supposedly Wigan and Bolton were interested in him. I no longer see what Newcastle have got that Wigan and Bolton don't have.

Hmmm...that's an easy one! Twice better wage budget. Butt will be offered an extension with 50K a week while Wigan and Bolton can only make it with 20K or max 30K a week which would be more reasonable. Put yourself in place of Butt and think...JK offers me 50K a week and play me week in week out so should I take a cut and lose my position in the starting line-up at Wigan/Bolton?

My hope: Kinnear is saying he'll be here for a while to attract new players to the club. If he says "I'm only here until May...then anything could happen" it's hardly the type of security a player will look for. Just a thought.

good point

It is a good point but i dont see too many players coming off the back of percieved stability now that Joe Kinnear is in charge 'full time'. In fact i dont think many players will have heard of Kinnear in the first place for them to be swayed by this news.

Has there been any official statement yet?

If this is actually true then Nicky Butt must be jumping for joy

I can see Butt leaving on a free at the end of the season. Supposedly Wigan and Bolton were interested in him. I no longer see what Newcastle have got that Wigan and Bolton don't have.

Hmmm...that's an easy one! Twice better wage budget. Butt will be offered an extension with 50K a week while Wigan and Bolton can only make it with 20K or max 30K a week which would be more reasonable. Put yourself in place of Butt and think...JK offers me 50K a week and play me week in week out so should I take a cut and lose my position in the starting line-up at Wigan/Bolton?

Your assuming we'll still be offering Premier League wages. Also, I think the attendance at St James' next season is going to be 40K maximum if we are in the Premier League and a lot less if we go down. Player wages will surely be influenced by this.

My hope: Kinnear is saying he'll be here for a while to attract new players to the club. If he says "I'm only here until May...then anything could happen" it's hardly the type of security a player will look for. Just a thought.

good point

It is a good point but i dont see too many players coming off the back of percieved stability now that Joe Kinnear is in charge 'full time'. In fact i dont think many players will have heard of Kinnear in the first place for them to be swayed by this news.

the point has nothing to do with players having heard of kinnear. it could be southgate or phil brown or tony pulis or any number of managers that foreign players will not have heard of. the point is when a player hears about interest from a club they are more likely to want to sign for a permanent manager who specifically wants them to come and has a longterm role for them in his side. if a manager is trying to sign them who is due to leave in a couple of months they're more likely to be reluctant, a new man will come in and the player won't be 'theirs', they'll have no pinpointed role for them and might not even want them at all.

good point

No, never ever.

good point

the point has nothing to do with players having heard of kinnear. it could be southgate or phil brown or tony pulis or any number of managers that foreign players will not have heard of. the point is when a player hears about interest from a club they are more likely to want to sign for a permanent manager who specifically wants them to come and has a longterm role for them in his side. if a manager is trying to sign them who is due to leave in a couple of months they're more likely to be reluctant, a new man will come in and the player won't be 'theirs', they'll have no pinpointed role for them and might not even want them at all.

Good point.

I have been wondering if Joe is actually very sick, with his walter mitty fantasy land press conferences and constant contradictions, but if he is actually well and this is true, then Ashley is a sick f***.

I have been wondering if Joe is actually very sick, with his <b>walter mitty fantasy land press conferences</b> and constant contradictions, but if he is actually well and this is true, then Ashley is a sick f***.

:lol:

good point

Good point.

of course if we dont pay the going rate in fees and wages then it's all bollocks cos no-one is going to sign for us!

I will be gutted if this is true and I have no reason to think that it's not true as he'd have to be a raving lunatic to come out with bullshit like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the subject of him staying has been discussed but I wouldn't bet a row of beans that he's had anything in writing. If the club confirm it then so be it. But my impression of JK right now is that he seems to exist in some sort of naive twilight world where he takes everything he's told at face value and then mouths off to the press to try and impress everyone that he's calling the shots.

good point

Good point.

of course if we dont pay the going rate in fees and wages then it's all bollocks cos no-one is going to sign for us!

Another good point!

Stick to the basics. I hope they pull something out the bag to make me feel a bit better about the potential future with Keegan.

good point

No, never ever.

Ahem - please refer to post number 177 on this thread and you will find I made this very same point  :whistle:

I will be gutted if this is true and I have no reason to think that it's not true as he'd have to be a raving lunatic to come out with bullshit like this.

I wouldn't be surprised if the subject of him staying has been discussed but I wouldn't bet a row of beans that he's had anything in writing. If the club confirm it then so be it. But my impression of JK right now is that he seems to exist in some sort of naive twilight world where he takes everything he's told at face value and then mouths off to the press to try and impress everyone that he's calling the shots.

Could be some truth in this.

I just don't understand why we are offering him a new deal now.  You'd think they would wait until the end of the season and look at how he has performed.  I thought we'd look to get better and start fresh in the summer.

Perhaps we have had problems signing players in Jan because they all ask "so who is managing the team next season?" and the only response is "errr... we have JK til the summer, after that we don't know."

If a player doesn't know who is managing next season it may influence their decision to not join us.

Stick to the basics. I hope they pull something out the bag to make me feel a bit better about the potential future with Keegan.

Say what?

Freundian slip.

Had no idea Stefan Freund had a slip

Sorry. I suffer from Pedant slip :pow: