Ryan Taylor

Dave

Fair to say we have 3 full backs at the club now (think Simpson has been pretty good the last couple of games and don't think he is that bad anyway).

Amazing turnaround really, was happy for him to be released in the summer.

Simpson has had more urgency about him in Stoke and Everton games actually pressing and tackling rather than letting them just run at him (Still thought his positioning was shocking at times yesterday)

Would like us to buy a full back in January still to improve the team with Santon coming in long term for him or raylor

Guest VaVaVoom

Its amazing how Raylor has progressed. Many if not all slated him (Including myself) when at RB or RM and then at LB but he has shown that he DOES have quality.

He still does not have the positional sense of a natural LB but he works hard and offers quality with delivery and technical ability.

He has provided a good problem at fullback. Santon waiting in the wings and Simpson having to up his game to stay in the side.

I would still be tempted to play him at RB though and get Santon bedded in at LB, whether the next three games is the time to do it is the question though.

The reason he's improved defensively is the cover he gets from Jonas.

If he played at RB behind Obertan he'd be far too exposed.

Plus it's easier for him to take a shot from left back and cutting in than it is from right back.

:thup: don't think it's a good idea to move him from a position he is finally performing in and the reasons you mentioned are probably a big part of this improvement.

Guest Dontooner

Congrats for his baby. I am actually quite liking how he is keeping Santon out. His distribution and free kicks is something we cannot over look...starting to make squad selection difficult now..The only reason for Santon to come in is because he will improve that position, Thats what i call good competition. 

FAN IN 'DOESN'T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL' SHOCKER!

:D

It's always a good sign when a manager does things the fans disagree with, and they work. One of my main indicators of a good manager TBH.

FAN IN 'DOESN'T KNOW EVERYTHING ABOUT FOOTBALL' SHOCKER!

:D

It's always a good sign when a manager does things the fans disagree with, and they work. One of my main indicators of a good manager TBH.

Totally. I'm not a Pardew bum-licker, but i honestly don't think i've had this much confidence in a manager since Sir Bobby. Souness, Roeder, Allardyce, Kinnear, Shearer and even Hughton on occasion... i remember dreading the starting line-ups. Knowing full well that some things were gonna be absolutely stupid and blatantly not going to be the right decision. There isn't a Duff, Butt or an Owen in this squad. An everpresent that the fans were sick to death of, but the boss persisted with.

With Pardew, if he makes a sub or makes a change to the starting line-up, i find myself giving him the benefit of the doubt every time. Eg, sticking with Obertan and Raylor/bringing Shola on against Spurs. His decision-making on matchdays, bar one or two stinkers last season (he was learning about our squad, in fairness), has been superb.

I can't stop watching the replay of his goal against Everton, the one from behind the goal is just brilliant, what a hit. and to think Ryan Taylor will be the league's best left-back after 11 games (according to skysports/Fantasy league anyway) is just incredible. really like what he's managed to do with his chance, having said that even when he played a few games last season he did well (bar that game where he got sent off) very happy for home and long may it continue.

Would sooner try Santon on the right of midfield than unsettle that defence for the Man City match.  Santon wouldn't be my first choice for the right midfield slot mind, depends who's out.  Would have Marveaux ahead of him, Guthrie if Cabaye and Tiote are back, perhaps Gosling but Ben Arfa might be pushing it.

Taylor did get skinned a few times on Saturday admittedly, I just don't think we should change that back 5 while it's working out.

I can't stop watching the replay of his goal against Everton, the one from behind the goal is just brilliant, what a hit. and to think Ryan Taylor will be the league's best left-back after 11 games (according to skysports/Fantasy league anyway) is just incredible. really like what he's managed to do with his chance, having said that even when he played a few games last season he did well (bar that game where he got sent off) very happy for home and long may it continue.

That camera angle was essentially my view of the goal :megusta:

:lol: He really struggled to get out of Bests vice grip to do his celebration.

:lol: :lol: aye I noticed that on the replay after the match, couldn't stop laughing. 

When that goal went in, one of the lads I was with called it the minute he hit it and was already celebrating, as were quite a few others judging by the replays.  I stood in amazement for a good few seconds, looked at the lineo to actually make sure it had crossed the line  :idiot2: then went fucking nuts and celebrated like a loon.  What a peach of a goal  :D

Would sooner try Santon on the right of midfield than unsettle that defence for the Man City match.  Santon wouldn't be my first choice for the right midfield slot mind, depends who's out.  Would have Marveaux ahead of him, Guthrie if Cabaye and Tiote are back, perhaps Gosling but Ben Arfa might be pushing it.

Taylor did get skinned a few times on Saturday admittedly, I just don't think we should change that back 5 while it's working out.

Aye, last thing I'd be doing for these matches is unsettling the defence. Keep the same back four, it's our best chance.

Good point.

Yeah, I guess Guthrie could play on the right. Of course it's not his best position there but as it stands, looks like we don't have much choice....

:lol: He really struggled to get out of Bests vice grip to do his celebration.

:lol: :lol: aye I noticed that on the replay after the match, couldn't stop laughing. 

When that goal went in, one of the lads I was with called it the minute he hit it and was already celebrating, as were quite a few others judging by the replays.  I stood in amazement for a good few seconds, looked at the lineo to actually make sure it had crossed the line  :idiot2: then went f***ing nuts and celebrated like a loon.  What a peach of a goal  :D

Aye, from behind the goal it was definitely one of those shots that you knew was in the second it left his foot. Was destined for the net.