Ryan Taylor

Dave

It puzzles me that he's so good at free kicks. He doesn't look particularly strong technically or physically in other areas of his game. I can only think it's down to practice, which of course does him a lot of credit.

It's been a significant factor in him maintaining his place in the side IMO.

Guest NobbyOhNobby

Limited player who has done well this season. Let's be honest, we've all been waiting for either him or Simpson to have a mare so Santon could come into the side. I'm just surprised its not simpson who had a shocker first

Both his mistakes were born from being unbalanced. You can't use the fact that he's a midfielder as an excuse for mistakes - he's playing left-back and the errors were made, which is why people are questioning his place in the side. Whether or not he's a defender or a midfielder has always been a grey area anyway.

That said, i still wouldn't drop him for now because of the message it would give to the player and the rest of the squad. He's earned his place on merit and doesn't deserve binning immediately after a cock-up. We've enforced that policy in the past and it's done nothing for morale. Plus i don't fancy changing the defense/slinging a new player in against away to one of the best sides in Europe.

You can use that fact, if it's not the players natural position. It was his positional sense that let him down not his touch or balance. If he was correctly positioned he would have been correctly balanced and potentially made a better first touch.

You can't use it as an excuse for him though. It's the same as putting Demba Ba in goal and letting him off for f***ing up 'cos he's out of position'.

What the f***? :lol: Certain you could let him off if that was the case. Terrible example to use.

Sigh. Understand what i'm saying.

If it isn't good for the team, you can't make excuses like "well, he's out of position".

If you're talking exclusively about the player's individual development or ability, sure, you can excuse him for the fact that he's not in his best role.

But thinking purely from a team point of view, him being out of position is irrelevant. He is there and he needs to be good.

That's why people will have a go at him for Saturday.

I did.

It is good for the team (currently) that Raylor is playing. You just have to look at our defensive record. Therefore, we can excuse that he made those mistakes because he was out of position. It was his positional sense that let him down for the second goal. As an individual, it didn't show his lack of ability or his development, it showed a costly human error. Everyone makes human errors, even Messi, and there's been times I've watched Messi and he has arguably cost Barcelona 3 points or a win.

He is there (Raylor) and he has been good, he made one error and for the two or three times he's gained us maximum points this season, he can be excused for his one mistake.

He's had a couple already like. Raylor that is.

He's had two mares and every other game he's been at worst 'solid' or 'fine'. Simpson on the other hand has had about 4 or 5 'good' games and (for me) has been relatively naff in nearly every other match. It depends which of those is deemed worse - two shockers or a good six or seven 'meh' games.

Sturridge tore Enrique apart on occasions last season when bolton came to town so not looking forward to Sturridge vs Taylor

Every game we're getting guff like this now. "opposition player will tear so and so apart."

Give our lads more credit man, they deserve it rather than this lily livered cowering in the face of the opposition.

Fair enough. Just saying we'll need to watch him because he was excellent at St.James' last year

You're probably right anyway, I can see Sturridge causing all sorts of problems down our left side.

I was very impressed by Sturridge on the wing against Leverkusen, even though the game went sour his passing was excellent for someone I had thought a striker till there.

We don't want to set out just to defend against Chelsea though, unlike the manchester clubs, their defence is poor at the moment and can see ben Arfa making fun out of Luiz.

Never want to see him play left back again.

Thanks for your goals, thanks for your non-smiley face but my god, you cannot ever play there again, that was a crucifixion today. Just an endless series of torture sessions for him

I think from now on, should he stay, he's right or left mid, covering the fullback like Jonas does, doubling up basically, he can do that job IMO, with someone behind him doing the final defensive duties. But as the last line down the wings, it's over.

Guest johnson293

Completely arse-raped by Sturridge. :facepalm: 

He's done better than expected this season, but the first time he comes up against decent wide players, in the last 3 matches, he's been caught/found out.

But with those 3 fixtures now gone (where some argued it would unwise to throw him in), Santon deserves his chance now.

Can't really be too angry at him. You know he's shit, he probably knows he's shit but he's exceeded those expectations so far this season. Unfortunately as a player you can't keep punching above your weight forever. Time for Santon next week but thanks for the decent games and the winning goals.

Completely arse-raped by Sturridge. :facepalm: 

He's done better than expected this season, but the first time he comes up against decent wide players, in the last 3 matches, he's been caught/found out.

But with those 3 fixtures now gone (where some argued it would unwise to throw him in), Santon deserves his chance now.

Disagree. It's happened all season. He's contributed massively to giving Krul the chance to shine as much as he has. In the last three matches, it's been capitalised on more, that's the only difference - but it's not just the Big Three who've humiliated him. He's not a competent left back.