Wise - On His Way Out?

Crumpy Gunt

Bruce would certainly be a better appointment, but I feel like there would be some difficulty to come. If he is available he really should be on the top of our list.

As for Shearer, while the appointment of "former legends" can often backfire (cf. Tony Adams, Gareth Southgate, Roy Keane, and Paul Ince) there's just this intangible feeling I have with Shearer... That voice in my head that's telling me "don't be daft, how could Alan Shearer possibly fail? There's just something about the man and the way he carries himself that makes me think he's destined for success, whatever he chooses to do.

I suppose that's precisely the kind of sentimentality that's going to land us in trouble. :lol:

Personally I'd like to see a foreign manager here. We've tried British for the last 10 years and every single appointment has ended in tears. We need someone who can bring in new methods and strike some flair into the team again.

What is the reason for thinking Shearer could be the answer?

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for fuck's sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as fuck. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

Agree. 100%. That's why Bruce and Shearer as Assistant Manager would be ideal.

That would be even worse than giving Shearer the main job on his own.

Personally I'd like to see a foreign manager here. We've tried British for the last 10 years and every single appointment has ended in tears. We need someone who can bring in new methods and strike some flair into the team again.

Sounds like we need a dose of... Sexy Football!

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for fuck's sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as fuck. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

Because until he gets the job and either fails or succeeds, no manager can ever be safe here. Until we know for a 100% certainty that Shearer is not up for the job, his name will always be first for some reason.

I disagree. Now that Shepherd's gone (he always had a personal thing for the idea which undermined Robson to one degree or another), he only comes up because things are going badly here. A manager enjoying success will be safe - it's just that we've not had one of them for a while.

Sounds like we need a dose of... Sexy Football!

Better than a weekly dose of Hungover Football tbh

Bruce ?

HAve expectations gone down so much since the fat bastard would have been lynched for even thinking about him ?

On the plus side, he might bring N'Zogbia back with him.

Partly that, but he's also gone up greatly in people's estimations.

Might be nice to lure away Mourinho or something but it seems unlikely. That said, in all honesty, I'm an avowed believer in the potential of throwing money at the managerial situation. I find it weird how its such an undervalued position/structure - a few mil a year spent on undeniably class leadership will pay for itself and more.

yep, I agree with that and always have thought exactly the same.

Because until he gets the job and either fails or succeeds, no manager can ever be safe here. Until we know for a 100% certainty that Shearer is not up for the job, his name will always be first for some reason.

I disagree. Now that Shepherd's gone (he always had a personal thing for the idea which undermined Robson to one degree or another), he only comes up because things are going badly here. A manager enjoying success will be safe - it's just that we've not had one of them for a while.

I have to confess ignorance about the good times. My knowledge of the club is pretty much just Souness-Kinnear.

Guest firetotheworks

Bruce would certainly be a better appointment, but I feel like there would be some difficulty to come. If he is available he really should be on the top of our list.

As for Shearer, while the appointment of "former legends" can often backfire (cf. Tony Adams, Gareth Southgate, Roy Keane, and Paul Ince) there's just this intangible feeling I have with Shearer... That voice in my head that's telling me "don't be daft, how could Alan Shearer possibly fail? There's just something about the man and the way he carries himself that makes me think he's destined for success, whatever he chooses to do.

I suppose that's precisely the kind of sentimentality that's going to land us in trouble. :lol:

You could say the same about Souness and Keane I think. They carry themselves with pride, determination and fire in their bellies, the problem is that they expect that of their players (which I dont disagree with), rather than being a manager and coaxing it out of them.

I have to confess ignorance about the good times. My knowledge of the club is pretty much just Souness-Kinnear.

I always feel sorry for you when this comes up. Its like a child born only in the wake of an apocalyptic nuclear war :lol:

Would Whelan entertain an approach from Ashley for Bruce?

If Bruce fancied it then i don't think there's a lot Whelan could do. Disregard the personal distaste towards each other, Whelan's a businessman aswell at the end of the day. If we come in with a good offer and Bruce is up for it - we'd probably get our way.

I'd be ridiculously happy if we got Bruce. I know "it's only Bruce" - seems a bit daft to get so excited at such an appointment, but this is how far we've fallen and i just think he is exactly what the club needs. That's not even counting the Geordie thing, either - i just think he's a bloody good manager.

As for Shearer, logistically it'd be an unnecassary risk but i just trust the man - basically. In the same way that i trusted Kevin Keegan. I doubt Ashley would make the mistake as to appoint someone like that again, anyway.

I always feel sorry for you when this comes up. Its like a child born only in the wake of an apocalyptic nuclear war :lol:

:lol: That's a hell of a way to put it.

Forgive me if I'm blundering amateurishly in to a china shop whilst dressed like a bull - I'm an ignorant outsider - but surely, surely the appropriate thing for Ashley to do right now would be to send that f***ing anachronism on legs Kinnear back to whence he came, and appoint Steve Bruce.

Leave aside all the s*** about him being a Geordie (and, quite frankly, who f***ing cares, it has ZERO relevance), but he's got a f***ing good record, and is more than a little bit tasty in the transfer market.

Forget suggestions like luring away Mourinho or similar - it will not happen - but make a sensible, long term appointment.

Looking at Kinnear now, it is quite clearly only going to end up in one place - a bad place, and every month he spends in the job is a month wasted.

Agreed.

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

What made you a supporter when Souness of all people was in charge? You missed out on a golden age with Sir Bobby. :)

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

I also started following this club seriously about a week before Sir Bobby was sacked.

Great timing :celb:

If this leads to Kinnear going then Im al for it, Id like to steer clear of Brcue - although he's found some fantastic players and done well with Wigan i dont think he has the ability to make strides with this club, Im not sure he could handle the pressure as well becasue i dount he'd get the full backing of the fans straight away.

Id like to steer clear of Shearer as well, I think he might galvanise the clubs and the fans in the short term and do well with us initialy, again im not sure if he has the ability to take us too far. Id rather take Martinez or Mowbray over Shearer.

If this leads to Kinnear going then Im al for it, Id like to steer clear of Brcue - although he's found some fantastic players and done well with Wigan i dont think he has the ability to make strides with this club, Im not sure he could handle the pressure as well becasue i dount he'd get the full backing of the fans straight away.

Id like to steer clear of Shearer as well, I think he might galvanise the clubs and the fans in the short term and do well with us initialy, again im not sure if he has the ability to take us too far. Id rather take Martinez or Mowbray over Shearer.

I think Bruce could handle the pressure, he knows the club and will know what comes with the job.

I think Bruce could handle the pressure, he knows the club and will know what comes with the job.

Yeah, he'd be a competent version of Allardyce in that respect. (Done well at small clubs, trying his hand at big club).