Wise - On His Way Out?

Crumpy Gunt

I've heard he's walked cos Kinnear signed Nolan behind his back, he wanted Donadel.

Sounds likely. Kinnear is a fucking relic like most of his signings. If Ashley backed him against Wise when he wasn't prepared to do it for Keegan we can only assume the lard is seeping into his brain.

It's unbelievable enough to be fucking true.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/83075/Exclusive-Finally-a-Wise-move-by-Ashley

DENNIS WISE is poised to be axed from Mike Ashley’s Newcastle boardoom staff, clearing the way for Alan Shearer or Steve Bruce to take over as manager in the summer.

Wise, the club’s executive director of football, was a controversial appointment by Magpies owner Ashley last year. And his arrival was widely pinpointed as the main reason behind Kevin Keegan’s decision to walk out of St James’ Park in September.

Shearer and Bruce have been unofficially sounded out,  and both hinted a move would be a non-starter if Wise was still pocketing his extraordinary wages of £1.2million per year.

Wise, who is based in London, was employed as a football ‘wheeler and dealer’. But he was an unlikely choice, having little experience.

It is understood neither Wigan manager Bruce nor former Magpies favourite Shearer would even consider a move with Wise in situ.

Shearer, especially, would be a hugely popular choice on Tyneside.

Newcastle legend Shearer has hinted he would have no problem working with Ashley, despite the chequered record since he bought the club

19 months ago from Freddy Shepherd for £134m. But the same cannot be said for Wise.

Similarly Bruce would not even consider the job with Wise in place.

Ashley has been impressed with the way Geordie-born Bruce, the former Manchester United defender, has steered Wigan into the upper echelons of the Premier League on a limited budget.

Bruce was willing to take over from Sir Bobby Robson at St James’ five years ago but a compensation agreement between Newcastle and his then-club Birmingham could not be reached.

However, Bruce has always expressed a desire to boss the Magpies one day, to fulfil a boyhood dream.

Wise played no part in last week’s deal to secure keeper Steve Harper on a new long-term contract.

Football secretary Lee Charnley was in charge of discussions. But that posed this obvious question: What exactly does Wise do to earn such lavish pay?

Wise has not been seen at a Newcastle game since the FA Youth Cup match against QPR several weeks ago, and he played no significant role in yesterday’s last-ditch transfer deadline business.

He was instrumental in buying Spanish flop Xisco, a £5.8million purchase from Deportivo La Coruna who has started just three league games since his arrival last summer.

Wise has had successes in the transfer market, though, such as Jonas Gutierrez and Sebastien Bassong. But his popularity on Tyneside remains zero as fans believe his presence, at the head of the so-called ‘Cockney mafia’, was the over-riding reason behind Keegan’s departure.

Owner Ashley has also been impressed with the way that Joe Kinnear has taken on the manager’s role even though the Magpies have won just four out of 20 games under his tenure.

Ashley is simply hoping Kinnear, who has a proven track record in relegation battles, can steer the club free of the drop zone even though they have been hampered by one injury after another.

Frank Gilmour, who is the chairman of the Independent Newcastle United Supporters’ Association , said: “I’d be delighted if Mike Ashley cut Dennis Wise adrift and I’m sure all Newcastle fans would feel the same as well.

“He is a problem. He’s the reason Kevin Keegan left.

“Ashley stuck by Wise and lost Kevin Keegan, and I can guarantee that Newcastle would not be in the situation we are now had Keegan not left.

“I don’t think Joe Kinnear is the right man.

“He has done a good job in terms of holding things together. But if we are going to be ambitious he is not the guy who will take us to the very top where we want to be.”

is Dave around  ;D

Keep the scouts who are the actual ones charged with finding players and get a real manager in to work with them and we'll be back to what the "system" should have been in the first place, but without the poison in the background.

Bruce ?

HAve expectations gone down so much since the fat bastard would have been lynched for even thinking about him ?

On the plus side, he might bring N'Zogbia back with him.

Partly that, but he's also gone up greatly in people's estimations.

Might be nice to lure away Mourinho or something but it seems unlikely. That said, in all honesty, I'm an avowed believer in the potential of throwing money at the managerial situation. I find it weird how its such an undervalued position/structure - a few mil a year spent on undeniably class leadership will pay for itself and more.

Forgive me if I'm blundering amateurishly in to a china shop whilst dressed like a bull - I'm an ignorant outsider - but surely, surely the appropriate thing for Ashley to do right now would be to send that fucking anachronism on legs Kinnear back to whence he came, and appoint Steve Bruce.

Leave aside all the shit about him being a Geordie (and, quite frankly, who fucking cares, it has ZERO relevance), but he's got a fucking good record, and is more than a little bit tasty in the transfer market.

Forget suggestions like luring away Mourinho or similar - it will not happen - but make a sensible, long term appointment.

Looking at Kinnear now, it is quite clearly only going to end up in one place - a bad place, and every month he spends in the job is a month wasted.

It's an interesting story.  :thup:

Wise is certainly not the villain he's made out to be but there is obviously problems with job descriptions overlapping. Wise walking might not be the worst news in the world if it means proper managers take us seriously again.

Forgive me if I'm blundering amateurishly in to a china shop whilst dressed like a bull - I'm an ignorant outsider - but surely, surely the appropriate thing for Ashley to do right now would be to send that f***ing anachronism on legs Kinnear back to whence he came, and appoint Steve Bruce.

Leave aside all the s*** about him being a Geordie (and, quite frankly, who f***ing cares, it has ZERO relevance), but he's got a f***ing good record, and is more than a little bit tasty in the transfer market.

If he is interested in giving him the job he should just use some of the money we have got from the recent sales to get Bruce and maybe he will get us out of this mess, as I have no confidence JFK will...

The hypothetical plan sounds great.

Kinnear keeps you up

Shearer comes in

Gets rid of some of the deadwood, and brings in a few much needed players.

Stabilises the squad/club.

Solid start to the season, players respect the manager, manager has control.

If only it was that simple.

What is the reason for thinking Shearer could be the answer?

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for fuck's sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as fuck. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Appointments based on sentiment strike me as the absolute last thing Newcastle need.

I agree...We cant take any chances...Again..

Forgive me if I'm blundering amateurishly in to a china shop whilst dressed like a bull - I'm an ignorant outsider - but surely, surely the appropriate thing for Ashley to do right now would be to send that f***ing anachronism on legs Kinnear back to whence he came, and appoint Steve Bruce.

Leave aside all the s*** about him being a Geordie (and, quite frankly, who f***ing cares, it has ZERO relevance), but he's got a f***ing good record, and is more than a little bit tasty in the transfer market.

Forget suggestions like luring away Mourinho or similar - it will not happen - but make a sensible, long term appointment.

Looking at Kinnear now, it is quite clearly only going to end up in one place - a bad place, and every month he spends in the job is a month wasted.

Just about everyone except Mike Ashley agrees with you 100%

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for fuck's sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as fuck. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

Agree. 100%. That's why Bruce and Shearer as Assistant Manager would be ideal.

Guest firetotheworks

It is emotional bullshit. He's steeped in Newcastle, fair enough, but for f***'s sake, Gareth Southgate was a great player, and what has he done for Boro? Would it have made any difference if he was a born smoggie?

Emotional appointments are risky as f***. Appoint someone who has a clear and demonstrable track record which suggests they may be able to actually do the job.

O0

Completely agree.

Because until he gets the job and either fails or succeeds, no manager can ever be safe here. Until we know for a 100% certainty that Shearer is not up for the job, his name will always be first for some reason.

Come on, Shearer would never have that.

Ha, not the role Shearer envisages for himself, I'm afraid.