U23s & Academy

Skirge

How many players have we had in the England youth setup recently? We always seemed to have a couple of players dotted about between the U17s upto 21s but seems like the last 10 years we’ve had very few. Woodman then I’m struggling? Hopefully the young players we’re signing this summer will put an end to that and the Academy itself starts producing.

9 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

How many players have we had in the England youth setup recently? We always seemed to have a couple of players dotted about between the U17s upto 21s but seems like the last 10 years we’ve had very few. Woodman then I’m struggling? Hopefully the young players we’re signing this summer will put an end to that and the Academy itself starts producing.

It’s been ridiculously sparse - Woodman you mentioned, the Longstaffs, Steven Taylor, before that Neale McDermott, James Beaumont and Ross Gardner. Villa probably have as many in the England youth teams this year as we’ve had in the last 30.

Alex Murphy's last match for Galway United next week and a replacement left back been signed today. As per my previous post, still lots of areas he needs to improve on and hard to gauge his current level but fairly certain there's the makings of a very good player there, be very interested to see how he develops with a more professional setup.

• 2 weeks later...
On 15/07/2022 at 20:38, Nucasol said:

Still seething when I see that turncoat Bobby Clark in a Liverpool shirt.

Feels like this year has been crazy for poaching. Someone suggested that the gloves have come off and old “gentleman’s agreements” have been ditched. Liverpool and Chelsea were always snidey about it, but now it seems like everyone’s at it.

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

Feels like this year has been crazy for poaching. Someone suggested that the gloves have come off and old “gentleman’s agreements” have been ditched. Liverpool and Chelsea were always snidey about it, but now it seems like everyone’s at it.

They did say post-Brexit that this was likely to happen when clubs couldn’t just poach the next generation of youngsters from overseas.

The "compensation" rules seem so out-dated.

For example, if we end up getting that young lad from Sunderland (Rigg?) then any compensation is based purely on the costs incurred training and developing that player. Nothing to do with how good he is or "market value" or whatever else.

I'm not sure what the alternative would be but when you look at the money being quoted for good quality 19-20 year olds (10s of millions) if you can pick up a bunch of talented 14-16 year olds for a fraction of that, is it any surprise we're seeing it become more and more commonplace? 

Yup it's Brexit that has done it. You used to be able to buy up young talent from abroad on the cheap and in bulk - now you won't get a work permit unless there's significant fees involved.

Clubs therefore competing far more aggressively for English academy players. You can see also clubs targeting young Scottish players far more than they used to.

Edited by ponsaelius

4 hours ago, Keegans Export said:

The "compensation" rules seem so out-dated.

For example, if we end up getting that young lad from Sunderland (Rigg?) then any compensation is based purely on the costs incurred training and developing that player. Nothing to do with how good he is or "market value" or whatever else.

I'm not sure what the alternative would be but when you look at the money being quoted for good quality 19-20 year olds (10s of millions) if you can pick up a bunch of talented 14-16 year olds for a fraction of that, is it any surprise we're seeing it become more and more commonplace? 

Not perfect but one option, if at all possible from a legal perspective, would be that compensation packages can include heavy sell on clauses. Even bring in a standard 20-30% for any player who moves before a certain age. Won't stop the poaching but will at least guarentee the losing club benefits down the line.