02/03: 1 goal

03/04: 12 goals

04/05: 4 goals

05/06: 11 goals

06/07: 5 goals

07/08: 5 goals

08/09: 1 goal

Purple-patchtastic.

Or it could be argued that he has the ability, regardless of form ;)

Seriously though i get the point you are making, i just believe there is a player in there if he is used properly. I wasn't suggesting he was going to be a Scholes or owt.

We should sign Boulahrouz from Stuttgart.

He was good first year at Chelsea, and he can play DR, DC, DL.

We could get him for 5-7 million pounds around that, which is decent compared to Colo.

Guest Heneage

Being fair to him Dave he gets at least 6-7 a year on average.

5-6 actually. Steven Taylor has four this year. In any case, even if that's alright as a midfielder, it's not as someone for whom we're sacrificing a striker and looking at to dictate our attacking play.

Oh, and note the trend in the last few years.

Don't get me wrong he shouldn't be our focal point at all, its a shame we can't get Elano with some bruisers or battlers around him we could have a cracking midfielder.

He was good first year at Chelsea, and he can blay DR, DC, DL.

We could get him for 5-7 million pounds around that, which is decent compared to Colo.

I really rate him, thought it was strange when Chelsea let him go so quickly.

We really need to spend a it here and be sensible, a good mix of cheap Bassong like transfers, meaning those with potential. And then those who will go straight into the first team, as well as looking at the Bosman market.

I agree with this. This isn't the time to be spunking money on "big" players. More Bassongs and less Luque's please.

That's pretty much a nonsensical thing to say. Obviously we all want to sign better players for less money, but it doesn't work like that. We did well / got lucky with Bassong, but in the main better players cost more money.

He was good first year at Chelsea, and he can blay DR, DC, DL.

your sig contradicts your post.

Fixed and in context with my current and much more positive attitude  :smug:

Guest Heneage

We really need to spend a it here and be sensible, a good mix of cheap Bassong like transfers, meaning those with potential. And then those who will go straight into the first team, as well as looking at the Bosman market.

I agree with this. This isn't the time to be spunking money on "big" players. More Bassongs and less Luque's please.

That's pretty much a nonsensical thing to say. Obviously we all want to sign better players for less money, but it doesn't work like that. We did well / got lucky with Bassong, but in the main better players cost more money.

I don't mean that I mean more players that will develop in the reserves like Bassong who was originally bought as back up.

I meant both were as a result of "scouting" and i'd prefer we took a chance with a low fee for a younger player than a big fee for an older one, regardless of the outcome.

I hope we continue the general approach of going for younger, hungrier, cheaper players.

If we sprinkle a couple of bigger signings in there then fine, but spunking huge sums never got us anywhere in the past really, expect into the mess we're in now.

I hope the wages of Geremi, Viduka, Owen, Barton and Smith alow us a few quid for transfers. That's the best part of 300k a week.

Is Geremi's contract running out? I can see us getting rid of Barton, but not Smith. No one will buy him, and he's on a ridiculous five year contract or something.

I hope we continue the general approach of going for younger, hungrier, cheaper players.

If we sprinkle a couple of bigger signings in there then fine, but spunking huge sums never got us anywhere in the past really, expect into the mess we're in now.

We need to focus on youth, it's been what we've been crying out for, for years.  We've got enough experienced players at the club to bring them through, Butt, Beye, Nolan etc but we need more in their early 20's and a few more youth team players.  That way we may not improve a great deal for a year or 2 but when we do we'll actually be able to do something with young hungry players.

:shifty:

Think Hangeland, Pennant and Bent have already been mentioned. Would anyone take Matt Derbyshire for a decent fee? He would he a good squad player imo. He's a good finisher and he's a good age. Definitely would be a decent signing as a sub striker, taking into account that we really could do with 2 new strikers and we've got so many areas to cover for improvement.

D.Bent, Martins, Viduka (pay as you play only or let him go), Derbyshire, Carroll, Lovenkrands

We could do worse.

Think Hangeland, Pennant and Bent have already been mentioned. Would anyone take Matt Derbyshire for a decent fee? He would he a good squad player imo. He's a good finisher and he's a good age. Definitely would be a decent signing as a sub striker, taking into account that we really could do with 2 new strikers and we've got so many areas to cover for improvement.

D.Bent, Martins, Viduka (pay as you play only or let him go), Derbyshire, Carroll, Lovenkrands

We could do worse.

I like Derbyshire, think he needs 1st team football to make the next step up though... not sure we could give him that.

Think the key is to get someone else who is mobile, Bent might be worth a go.

Tuncay Sanli? fuck that! Not after the way he celebrated that goal. Twat can fuck off back to the turkish league or rot in the fizzy pop league

Agreed. Mainly cos he's shit though.

Honestly... it's the likes of him and Downing - their allegedly quality players - for why they're down there. Boro's main problem this season has been scoring goals and whilst they've hardly got the deadliest of strikeforces, they've got some reasonable strikers there. Downing has done nowt this season and Tuncay is as wasteful as it gets. As i've said before, i haven't watched masses of them this season, but i've genuinely not seen Tuncay have a good game. He's got touches of quality and whatnot but we can't be relying on 1-good-game-in-10 players. We've got enough of them already. They'd cost a bomb n'all.

Highly doubt we'll go for them regardless. Digard's the only player i would even go near to approaching at Boro. Maybe Wheater.

I can't see much point in going for Wheater like. He will cost quite a bit and while he has potential he is not the quality cool headed defender we need to partner Bassong. I'd rather just have Taylor as backup right back and centre back and look for the finished article to put in the team. We could actually do with 2 centre backs really if we are to ship out Colloccini, Cacapa and Edgar but if we're gonna pay a decent fee for a defender to go into the team then we're probably gonna be looking at cheap option as backup.

Guest Heneage

Tuncay Sanli? f*** that! Not after the way he celebrated that goal. t*** can f*** off back to the turkish league or rot in the fizzy pop league

Agreed. Mainly cos he's s*** though.

Honestly... it's the likes of him and Downing - their allegedly quality players - for why they're down there. Boro's main problem this season has been scoring goals and whilst they've hardly got the deadliest of strikeforces, they've got some reasonable strikers there. Downing has done nowt this season and Tuncay is as wasteful as it gets. As i've said before, i haven't watched masses of them this season, but i've genuinely not seen Tuncay have a good game. He's got touches of quality and whatnot but we can't be relying on 1-good-game-in-10 players. We've got enough of them already. They'd cost a bomb n'all.

Highly doubt we'll go for them regardless. Digard's the only player i would even go near to approaching at Boro. Maybe Wheater.

Digard for £2m bargain.

As for tuncay I think its harsh to critique him. Boro really have a lack of creativity and as Craig Burley says. "Yee cud play Torhes up there but if you've not got the creahativetee then its pointless."

Tuncay Sanli? f*** that! Not after the way he celebrated that goal. t*** can f*** off back to the turkish league or rot in the fizzy pop league

Agreed. Mainly cos he's s*** though.

Digard for £2m bargain.

As for tuncay I think its harsh to critique him. Boro really have a lack of creativity and as Craig Burley says. "Yee cud play Torhes up there but if you've not got the creahativetee then its pointless."

Isn't it Tuncay's job to be more of a creative player than a goal machine?