The Newcastle United Transfer Thread MkII

Kaizero

Guest firetotheworks

I think Smith will be alright this season. Quite Frankly, he was our second best centre midfielder last season. I thought he improved the team.

Even if that we're true, which imo it isn't, it still isn't a compliment to him, at all.

Was around the same time people turned their noses up at Beattie for around the £5-6m mark.

We'd have easily stayed up last season with him.

That's just nonsense. Do you remeber what he did after signing with Everton in 2004? In front of a much better team he had a strike rate that would have made Shola question himself. He had a decent spell last year with one of the other rubbish teams in the PL last year I know, but honestly I do not regret the club not wasting money on Beattie.

Guest firetotheworks

Theres a difference between a good striker, and one who perfectly suits a teams style of play. I don't think he would have suited ours at all.

Beattie isn't all that bad, just didn't suit our team at all. He's a good finisher when he's confident. He relies on service and needs to play with wingers who will whip crosses in for him all day though (or big fellas that can throw the ball dead, dead far).

Since Moyes doesn't play genuine wingers it was a bit of a mis-match.

In the end both parties needed him to move on.

Beattie fits into Stoke's team perfect. Stoke also have the likes of Etherington who have the ability to put a good ball into the box. If Beattie was in that team of ours last season he would have really struggled, no doubt about it. Jonas and Duff did not do the business when it comes to making chances at all. I tell you what, although i'm not comparing Carroll to Beattie at all, i bet Carroll would have got a few more goals if he was in that Stoke team than he did for us. Our teams creativity (especially coming from crosses) is a big strikers nightmare.

You've no idea what the environment will be like if Ashley sells and Shearer comes in though. Also I think a promising young loanee is going to take very little stick from the crowd.

Yeah, Rossi didn't take any abuse at all.

Nope, he didn't.

i wish we'd signed smith in '04. the smith of '04 playing upfront with big al would have came on leaps and bounds.

the smith we have now, the '09 post-broken legs, confused as to whether he's a midfielder or a striker thanks to fergie isn't a patch on the smith of '04

I read somewhere that we are the ONLY club out of 92 English clubs in England who haven't signed a single player. I think it was the Times.

Makes this thread a bit redundant.