The Newcastle United Transfer Thread MkII

Kaizero

I once wrote that the "Beye wants out" thread was the most depressing on this board, but I was wrong. This is the most depressing thread on this board (and probably will continue to be). We have zero prospects.

On the positive side, neither Beckford and Skjelbred have been sold thus far :shifty:

Then again we'll not buy them regardless, so aye, you're right. :(

how could we not buy them "reagardless" ?

Because we're us, even if we got sold, god forbid we'd actually buy proven players who've expressed an interest in joining us.

Guest icemanblue

I once wrote that the "Beye wants out" thread was the most depressing on this board, but I was wrong. This is the most depressing thread on this board (and probably will continue to be). We have zero prospects.

On the positive side, neither Beckford and Skjelbred have been sold thus far :shifty:

Then again we'll not buy them regardless, so aye, you're right. :(

how could we not buy them "reagardless" ?

Because we're us, even if we got sold, god forbid we'd actually buy proven players who've expressed an interest in joining us.

Hmmm.

In the championship we can pretty much pick up loan signings during the majority of the season right?

Might prove to be crucial for us.

That's a good point actually, if we ever get sorted we might be relying on Shearer to pull in some favours with his premiership pals.

In the championship we can pretty much pick up loan signings during the majority of the season right?

That's a good point actually, if we ever get sorted we might be relying on Shearer to pull in some favours with his premiership pals.

The silver lining to all of this is that with the Championship season being longer, it's eminently possible to get promoted with a strong push later in the season even if you start off slow. I think Sunderland were actually in the Championship relegation zone a month or so into the season they got promoted.

So theoretically, we could get bought a few months into a season and still have time to make a promotion push after strengthening with loans etc.

Ah yes, all his friends that turned up for his testimonial

If I was a premiership manager I'd love to send a young striker to work under Shearer to learn the game.

If I was a premiership manager I'd love to send a young striker to work under Shearer to learn the game.

If I was a premiership manager I'd not want to send my promising young players anywhere near Newcastle United FC.

If I was a premiership manager I'd not want to send my promising young players anywhere near Newcastle United FC.

Why? Because it's cursed? Absolute bollocks, it'll be a great place to get experience playing for a club with big expectations, some high profile players around you and at a great stadium in front of a lot of fans. If we get Shearer in I'll bet most loans would love to come here.

Why? Because it's cursed? Absolute bollocks, it'll be a great place to get experience playing for a club with big expectations, some high profile players around you and at a great stadium in front of a lot of fans. If we get Shearer in I'll bet most loans would love to come here.

Because it's a club in utter chaotic shambles with the vast majority of the playing staff crushingly demoralized and the fans just waiting to jump on their back? Even if Ashley sold and the new owner brought Shearer in, this would not be the kind of environment I would want to send developing young players into.

You've no idea what the environment will be like if Ashley sells and Shearer comes in though. Also I think a promising young loanee is going to take very little stick from the crowd.

Regardless of who owns the club and who's the manager, the expectation at this club will be automatic promotion and nothing else. (I certainly don't think it should be, but it will be.) If we're not topping the table by October the pressure will begin to mount. I'd much rather send my player to a club with more realistic expectations.

And that's without even considering the general doom and gloom surrounding the club and the utterly s*** squad chemistry.

We tried getting Smith in 2004:

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/lorimer-the-facts-about-smith-move-20090730_2247585_1738586

Following Wednesday's 0-0 draw at Newcastle United, Leeds United legend Peter Lorimer has moved to reveal the story behind Alan Smith's move to Manchester United.

The trip to St James's Park was the first time Smith has faced Leeds since his £6m move to Manchester United in the summer of 2004, following the club's relegation from the Premiership.

Since Smith's move there has been a simmering anger among many fans, and a large of number of the amazing travelling support of around 3,500 Leeds fans made their feelings known at Newcastle on Wednesday.

The striker spoke afterwards about the "stick" he had received and while admitting he expected it, he also stressed that he fully understood the reaction of the travelling fans and pointed out that he would always remain a Leeds fan.

And, following the game, Elland Road legend and one-time director Lorimer, said he felt the time had to come to reveal the facts about Smith's move across the Pennines.

"Our fans are fantastic and the support again at Newcastle was terrific," he said.

"I think we all expected Alan to get some stick - he expected it as well - but I did feel a little sorry for him because while he went to our biggest rival football-wise, it's never been known by anyone what was behind him going to Old Trafford and I think now is the right time to clear that up.

"What happened was that going back to the Gerald Krasner board at that time, they had just taken over, the club had massive debts, the tax man was pressing, we were struggling to pay the wages and we needed money in desperately.

"The biggest asset at that time was Alan Smith. We had offers from Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Everton, and various other clubs  were interested, but we also knew Manchester United were interested.

"I was asked personally by the board of that time to ring Alex Ferguson to let him know that Alan was available if he was interested and tell him how much we were looking for.

"And the reason he had to go there was that we were so pressed for money, and it was such a desperate situation, that they were the only team who could pay us the full amount there and then.

"The other teams who were interested - as with most transfers nowadays - were on partial payment terms over a longer period of time. But the club was in such dire straits we needed the money there and then. That was the reason why he went there.

"To a degree he might not have chosen Manchester United had he been given the choice, but he wasn't. The club led him down that line. His agent and Alan were made aware of the situation at that time, and the neccessity was that he went to Old Trafford.

"Leeds fans didn't want him to go there but as far as the club is concerned, Alan Smith going there probably saved us from going into administration or liquidation a lot earlier than we did.

"I know Alan. He is a Leeds fan and he always will be a Leeds fan and there is nobody more aware than him of how much it hurt our fans, but I would like to put the record straight.

"I fully understand how the fans felt, but he was made fully aware of how bid the situation here was and what the club's preference was.

"I hope they appreciate that he still loves Leeds and maybe now it's time to bury the hatchet.

"Our fans are fantastic. When you think what they have gone through over the past few years, from where we were to where we are. Hopefully we are on the way back. Our fans stood up to it and they are still following the club.

"It's sad our club has had to sell so many players, but all these lads don't forget their roots and I know Alan is the same."

Means nothing now like.

Following Wednesday's 0-0 draw at Newcastle United, Leeds United legend Peter Lorimer has moved to reveal the story behind Alan Smith's move to Manchester United.

The trip to St James's Park was the first time Smith has faced Leeds since his £6m move to Manchester United in the summer of 2004, following the club's relegation from the Premiership.

Since Smith's move there has been a simmering anger among many fans, and a large of number of the amazing travelling support of around 3,500 Leeds fans made their feelings known at Newcastle on Wednesday.

The striker spoke afterwards about the "stick" he had received and while admitting he expected it, he also stressed that he fully understood the reaction of the travelling fans and pointed out that he would always remain a Leeds fan.

And, following the game, Elland Road legend and one-time director Lorimer, said he felt the time had to come to reveal the facts about Smith's move across the Pennines.

"Our fans are fantastic and the support again at Newcastle was terrific," he said.

"I think we all expected Alan to get some stick - he expected it as well - but I did feel a little sorry for him because while he went to our biggest rival football-wise, it's never been known by anyone what was behind him going to Old Trafford and I think now is the right time to clear that up.

"What happened was that going back to the Gerald Krasner board at that time, they had just taken over, the club had massive debts, the tax man was pressing, we were struggling to pay the wages and we needed money in desperately.

"The biggest asset at that time was Alan Smith. We had offers from Newcastle, Middlesbrough, Everton, and various other clubs  were interested, but we also knew Manchester United were interested.

"I was asked personally by the board of that time to ring Alex Ferguson to let him know that Alan was available if he was interested and tell him how much we were looking for.

"And the reason he had to go there was that we were so pressed for money, and it was such a desperate situation, that they were the only team who could pay us the full amount there and then.

"The other teams who were interested - as with most transfers nowadays - were on partial payment terms over a longer period of time. But the club was in such dire straits we needed the money there and then. That was the reason why he went there.

"To a degree he might not have chosen Manchester United had he been given the choice, but he wasn't. The club led him down that line. His agent and Alan were made aware of the situation at that time, and the neccessity was that he went to Old Trafford.

"Leeds fans didn't want him to go there but as far as the club is concerned, Alan Smith going there probably saved us from going into administration or liquidation a lot earlier than we did.

"I know Alan. He is a Leeds fan and he always will be a Leeds fan and there is nobody more aware than him of how much it hurt our fans, but I would like to put the record straight.

"I fully understand how the fans felt, but he was made fully aware of how bid the situation here was and what the club's preference was.

"I hope they appreciate that he still loves Leeds and maybe now it's time to bury the hatchet.

"Our fans are fantastic. When you think what they have gone through over the past few years, from where we were to where we are. Hopefully we are on the way back. Our fans stood up to it and they are still following the club.

"It's sad our club has had to sell so many players, but all these lads don't forget their roots and I know Alan is the same."

Thought he was a Rangers fan?  :facepalm:

http://www.leedsunited.com/news/lorimer-the-facts-about-smith-move-20090730_2247585_1738586

Means nothing now like.

Everyone knew that already didn't they?

You've no idea what the environment will be like if Ashley sells and Shearer comes in though. Also I think a promising young loanee is going to take very little stick from the crowd.

Yeah, Rossi didn't take any abuse at all.

Means nothing now like.

Everyone knew that already didn't they?

Yep, althought people kept taking the piss out of me for being "ITK" when I reported it. Same when we went for Malbranque.