Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

I guess with Duff, Shola and co. it will be the same situation as with every manager that they think they can be the one to get them going again especially if they think they see a response in training.

I am sure that if he does not see that translated to the pitch that they would be dropped in time.

8 games though to make a major difference though is not much time at all - it's all about instilling confidence for the time being.

Guest sicko2ndbest

Another insight into the managerial mind of Big Al

Love it

From The Times

April 17, 2009

Alan Shearer tells Obafemi Martins to show commitment to Newcastle

George Caulkin

Alan Shearer has challenged Obafemi Martins to demonstrate his commitment to Newcastle United in the most tangible manner and play through gritted teeth for the rest of the season. The Nigeria striker provoked consternation last weekend when he reported a groin problem on the morning of the club’s Barclays Premier League match away to Stoke City and while that matter has been resolved, others have still to be addressed.

Since Shearer’s appointment as manager, greater discipline and punctuality have been insisted upon. In an attempt to tackle Newcastle’s dreadful record with injuries and fitness, he has insisted that players receiving treatment must stay at the training ground late into the afternoon. The messages may be basic, but they are having an effect.

“I’ve enjoyed the challenge of dealing with different characters,” Shearer said. “You’ve got 22 players who are all different. The manager’s job is to get the best out of them. What you say to players and what you don’t say to them is very important. Some need a kick up the backside or pushed harder than others. I don’t know whether its fate or the 4 o’clock thing but a lot of those injuries are clearing up.”

A scan on Martins’s groin has revealed that “there is something not right in there,” Shearer said, and although the forward is rated increasingly unlikely to be fit for Sunday’s match away to Tottenham Hotspur, the club are hoping that he will make himself available for the five games that follow. However, Mark Viduka is back in the squad after an Achilles injury, helping to make up for Martins’s likely absence.

“We have a few different scenarios with Oba,” Shearer said. “One, an operation; two, an injection; three, rest; and four, play through the play barrier. We know what we want him to do, it is just a case of how much pain that will cause him.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6108134.ece

Love it

From The Times

April 17, 2009

George Caulkin

Alan Shearer has challenged Obafemi Martins to demonstrate his commitment to Newcastle United in the most tangible manner and play through gritted teeth for the rest of the season. The Nigeria striker provoked consternation last weekend when he reported a groin problem on the morning of the clubs Barclays Premier League match away to Stoke City and while that matter has been resolved, others have still to be addressed.

Since Shearers appointment as manager, greater discipline and punctuality have been insisted upon. In an attempt to tackle Newcastles dreadful record with injuries and fitness, he has insisted that players receiving treatment must stay at the training ground late into the afternoon. The messages may be basic, but they are having an effect.

Ive enjoyed the challenge of dealing with different characters, Shearer said. Youve got 22 players who are all different. The managers job is to get the best out of them. What you say to players and what you dont say to them is very important. Some need a kick up the backside or pushed harder than others. I dont know whether its fate or the 4 oclock thing but a lot of those injuries are clearing up.

A scan on Martinss groin has revealed that there is something not right in there, Shearer said, and although the forward is rated increasingly unlikely to be fit for Sundays match away to Tottenham Hotspur, the club are hoping that he will make himself available for the five games that follow. However, Mark Viduka is back in the squad after an Achilles injury, helping to make up for Martinss likely absence.

We have a few different scenarios with Oba, Shearer said. One, an operation; two, an injection; three, rest; and four, play through the play barrier. We know what we want him to do, it is just a case of how much pain that will cause him.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/premier_league/newcastle/article6108134.ece

This man is a born leader.

Love it

From The Times

April 17, 2009

George Caulkin

Alan Shearer has challenged Obafemi Martins to demonstrate his commitment to Newcastle United in the most tangible manner and play through gritted teeth for the rest of the season. The Nigeria striker provoked consternation last weekend when he reported a groin problem on the morning of the clubs Barclays Premier League match away to Stoke City and while that matter has been resolved, others have still to be addressed.

Since Shearers appointment as manager, greater discipline and punctuality have been insisted upon. In an attempt to tackle Newcastles dreadful record with injuries and fitness, he has insisted that players receiving treatment must stay at the training ground late into the afternoon. The messages may be basic, but they are having an effect.

Ive enjoyed the challenge of dealing with different characters, Shearer said. Youve got 22 players who are all different. The managers job is to get the best out of them. What you say to players and what you dont say to them is very important. Some need a kick up the backside or pushed harder than others. I dont know whether its fate or the 4 oclock thing but a lot of those injuries are clearing up.

A scan on Martinss groin has revealed that there is something not right in there, Shearer said, and although the forward is rated increasingly unlikely to be fit for Sundays match away to Tottenham Hotspur, the club are hoping that he will make himself available for the five games that follow. However, Mark Viduka is back in the squad after an Achilles injury, helping to make up for Martinss likely absence.

We have a few different scenarios with Oba, Shearer said. One, an operation; two, an injection; three, rest; and four, play through the play barrier. We know what we want him to do, it is just a case of how much pain that will cause him.

This man is a born leader.

nice that he's enjoying that aspect of it as well, encouraging

Alan Shearer’s fitness regime paying off

Apr 17 2009 by Luke Edwards, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United are already starting to feel the benefit of the strict fitness regime introduced by Alan Shearer and Iain Dowie, according to the club’s new manager.

Shearer was heartened to see his players finish strongly in the 1-1 draw with Stoke City last weekend as the visitors managed to take the game to their hosts in the closing stages of a tight contest.

And, having brought in tough new rules for the players in training when he was unveiled as manager – which include all injured players having to stay at the training ground to work on their rehabilitation until 4pm – Shearer also hopes to ease the injury problems which have weakened the squad all season.

He said: “We sit down late every afternoon and review it.

“Can we do anything better, how do we improve it?

“There’s obviously something not right because we’re third bottom of the League and we’ve had a lot of injuries.

“I don’t know whether its fate or the 4 o’clock thing, but a lot of those injuries are clearing up.

“You’ve always got players who’ve had a knock, or playing with injuries or injections, particularly at this stage of the season.

“Hopefully the step up in training has improved things.

“I looked at how well we played in the last half an hour at Stoke, was it because of improved fitness or confidence? Hopefully it’s a bit of everything.”

[/quGiven Shearer’s problems with Obafemi Martins, as well as the difficulty in telling two senior international players like Fabricio Coloccini and Jonás Gutiérrez that they have been dropped from the starting line-up, there have been some tough calls for a new manager to make in his first fortnight at the helm.

But Shearer is revelling in the responsibility and there is no suggestion he is missing the comfort of the pundit’s sofa on BBC TV’s Match of the Day.

By his own admission, the 38-year-old is having to learn as he goes, as well as draw on the experience of his assistant Dowie and the rest of the coaching staff.

But there is a glint in his eye as he talks about the different problems he is encountering as a manager.

He said: “I’m thoroughly enjoying it. It’s been a good week, but it’s all about what happens on Sunday.

“That’s how it will be until the end of the season, get one game out of the way and then prepare for the next one.

“You’re learning all the time how to deal with different problems and situations. What you say to players, and what you don’t say to them, is very important.

“Some need a kick up the backside, or to be pushed harder than others, I’m learning that all of the time.

And, having secured a battling point at the Britannia Stadium last weekend, Shearer believes the players have shown they have the qualities needed to drag themselves out of the drop zone over the last six games of the season.

He added: “We said we would go to Stoke looking to win the game, depending how the game went.

“In the end we were happy to get the point, but it could have been more, particularly in the last half an hour.

“Not only did we prove we are up for the scrap and can fight, we showed we can play a little bit as well. It has given everyone a big, big lift and it’s been a decent week for us.

“We saw players step up to the mark and accept responsibility, not just from Andy Carroll who scored a magnificent header, there were a few big performances at Stoke.

“I think we proved something to ourselves and to our supporters last week.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2009/04/17/alan-shearer-s-fitness-regime-paying-off-61634-23404403/

I had the weirdest dream last night that Ashley invoked FA Rule Directive 308, which allowed him to remove Shearer from his management role for a couple of games to see if he was the problem behind us not being able to play well and get a win.

I just remember turning to the person next to me when I saw it on the news and saying "This is the guy that hired f***ing Joe Kinnear!" :lol:

I had the weirdest dream last night that Ashley invoked FA Rule Directive 308, which allowed him to remove Shearer from his management role for a couple of games to see if he was the problem behind us not being able to play well and get a win.

I just remember turning to the person next to me when I saw it on the news and saying "This is the guy that hired f***ing Joe Kinnear!" :lol:

i think someone should corral all the dreams that have been posted on this forum and put them into a dream depository so we can look back and check if there were any substance to their message.

i think someone should corral all the dreams that have been posted on this forum and put them into a dream depository so we can look back and check if there were any substance to their message.

I remember someone back @ the old toontastic.linuxdriven.net recalling a dream he had with Michael Owen lifting a trofy (might have been the FA Cup) and thanking his manager, Alan Shearer, for resurrecting his career. I still believe in that dream.

Not this season, though, obviously. :kinnear:

The Sun says Shearer has asked Kenny Dalglish to be our director of football.

The Liverpool Echo says Dalglish is going back to Liverpool.

One of them's talking bollocks and i'm 99.9% sure which one.

The Sun says Shearer has asked Kenny Dalglish to be our director of football.

The Liverpool Echo says Dalglish is going back to Liverpool.

One of them's talking bollocks and i'm 99.9% sure which one.

Alan Oliver is my answer.

His attitude towards Viduka is spot-on as well, in my opinion and is not one I honestly would have expected him to display. A manager knowing that in order to manage certain players you need to treat them completely differently to the rest of the squad (in terms of training regimes, motivational techniques, etc.) is a really thrilling thing to hear about after the dismal times under the likes of Souness and Kinnear, who appeared to adopt a "one size fits all" policy that didn't really pay off.

I thought he would just sack him off personally and write him off as a waste of space, like many of us have, but he's obviously had a word with the FAB, had a good response verbally and since that point has had an even better response through Viduka's actions. Shearer himself has said he's been coming in for extra sessions every day, in early and while he'll never be "100%" again he knows that an 80% fit Mark Viduka is still a force to be reckoned with. He could have sat on his arse and been off for a payday in Australia come the summer but instead has put the graft in and is working himself back to fitness. Obviously you could say it's probably the least he could do for NUFC after the wages he's had out of us (well upwards of £5m in 2 years, I'd assume, especially considering sign-on fee...) but maybe a bit of good management earlier on would have seen him play far more games for us and give far more back to the cause (his only decent run has been when KK was here, really, shockingly another good man-manager).

Like everything else it may be too late in the day, but if Shearer keeps this up then I'm even more optimistic about him being our manager than I was before he came in. I just thought we'd be getting another high-profile "Geordie legend" appointment to get everyone galvanised more than anything, and I appreciate it still is early days, but all the signs so far show Al to be much, much more than that. Don't want to get ahead of myself, but it looks good on this front whether we stay up or go down... provided he stays of course! The comment "we'll have to look at it come the summer" regarding Viduka's contract fills me with hope, though.

Don't want to get ahead of myself, but it looks good on this front whether we stay up or go down... provided he stays of course! The comment "we'll have to look at it come the summer" regarding Viduka's contract fills me with hope, though.

This is key, we really don't want to get ahead of ourselves.

SHEARER FOR ENGLAND MANAGER!!!!!

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/2009/04/18/harry-redknapp-tips-alan-shearer-for-england-manager-115875-21287482/

I thought he would just sack him off personally and write him off as a waste of space, like many of us have, but he's obviously had a word with the FAB, had a good response verbally and since that point has had an even better response through Viduka's actions. Shearer himself has said he's been coming in for extra sessions every day, in early and while he'll never be "100%" again he knows that an 80% fit Mark Viduka is still a force to be reckoned with. He could have sat on his arse and been off for a payday in Australia come the summer but instead has put the graft in and is working himself back to fitness. Obviously you could say it's probably the least he could do for NUFC after the wages he's had out of us (well upwards of £5m in 2 years, I'd assume, especially considering sign-on fee...) but maybe a bit of good management earlier on would have seen him play far more games for us and give far more back to the cause (his only decent run has been when KK was here, really, shockingly another good man-manager).

Just as an aside, there's no such thing as a "payday" in Australian football - which is why full Australian internationals can be found in Serie B and on the bench of Fizzy Pop clubs.

The highest paid player in the short history of the Australian A-League was Dwight Yorke who made A$1 million for a season - or approximately 8000 British pounds per week...

Not even with the new money that there appears to be over there (Gold Coast)? I've got to admit I know extremely little about Australian football, but I'm sure I remember reading recently about them and their owner on Soccernet.

The term used was more to say he could have had the easy life over there than just the money, with the climate and everything and the lower standard of football. Worded badly.

Not even with the new money that there appears to be over there (Gold Coast)? I've got to admit I know extremely little about Australian football, but I'm sure I remember reading recently about them and their owner on Soccernet.

The term used was more to say he could have had the easy life over there than just the money, with the climate and everything and the lower standard of football. Worded badly.

The salary cap is similar to the MLS - there is a cap for the squad, but each club is allowed one "marquee player" whose salary is not included in that cap. Yorke was Sydney FC's marquee player in the inaugural season - his wages are still the highest paid, above the likes of Juninho and Mario Jardel, although John Aloisi is also rumoured to be on about A$1million per season. Robbie Fowler's wages for next season are still being speculated on, but considering how ridiculously wealthy he is, as well as how old/past it he is, it's unlikely to break any records.

And yes, I know what you meant - more like semi-retirement than payday perhaps :lol:

His attitude towards Viduka is spot-on as well, in my opinion and is not one I honestly would have expected him to display. A manager knowing that in order to manage certain players you need to treat them completely differently to the rest of the squad (in terms of training regimes, motivational techniques, etc.) is a really thrilling thing to hear about after the dismal times under the likes of Souness and Kinnear, who appeared to adopt a "one size fits all" policy that didn't really pay off.

Must admit I'm surprised and delighted by the noises he's generally been making re: affording players individual attention, knowing all players are better for feeling good etc. I'd anticipated a 'one size fits all' policy, whatever that size was, myself.

Shearer has been like a breath of fresh air and I didn't expect that.  He's walked back into the club and has acted as if he's been in management all of his life.  His only mistake to date has been his reaction to Martins pulling out of the Stoke game but he seems to have realised that he'd made a mistake and has got out of it well.

I almost forgot about starting Shola but its weird how many managers play more experienced players ahead of others, even when they’ve been s***.  Keegan did it when he first arrived but he then realised that Duff and Smith were counter-productive and he dropped them.  I have little doubt that Shearer will do the same; I also have little doubt that he'll get the best out of the players at his disposal, something which we haven't done too often this season.

I think he'll be here longer than the end of this season because he seems to be enjoying it more than I expected that he would.  I think he'll have to be prepared to do a first year or two like Bobby but I think we need stability and Shearer taking the job for a number of years is just what we need, regardless of how we finish this season.

He's a young manager and he's already shown that he's more than happy to try different ways with different players.  I thought that he'd be a one trick pony and he clearly isn't, he can manage different types of players and his introduction seems to have had a good effect on the players at the club.

I will be more surprised if he’s not here next season than I will be if he is still here.  I can’t see him going back to Match of the Day.  He seems to be getting a buzz once again and I think he’s had the break from football that he probably needed.

He's a young manager and he's already shown that he's more than happy to try different ways with different players.  I thought that he'd be a one trick pony and he clearly isn't, he can manage different types of players and his introduction seems to have had a good effect on the players at the club.

I basically agree with everything you say, but this para best highlights what pleases me (already said this once today - I'm starting to sound gushing). He appears to be a particularly flexible manager/character (note: not to say spineless), which is something I wasn't expecting.