Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

The end for Butt, Duff and Shola I hope. Taylor gets a reprieve until the summer on account of his decent performances at RB

A manager bigger than Ashley is just what we need to get rid of these overrated pieces of s***

Why would one assume that Shearer would get rid of our aging British players?

Hmmmm ... yeah, just as likely Shearer keeps the experienced Brits around tbh.

However, the difference is that he will not put up with crap performances from them and will definitely let them know if they are not doing the job

Or he could play the experienced foreign s**** in Geremi, Cacraper, Viduka (chance would be a fine thing) or the biggest transfer flop of the season AKA Colo.

He could. Doesn't have a choice really. We are the UN of vastly experienced players who play like s***. I'd just think Shearer would want to bring/keep British players to Newcastle. (Just a shame most of ours are old and s***)

maybe he'll just pick what he considers to be the best bunch of players to do a given task regardless of age or nationality ?

Naaa Shearer wont be interested in picking teams to win games, he will be checking passports for age & nationally. He has 8 games to send out the oldest British team he can.

:lol: You'd hope he pick the best team yeah. I was referring more to the players he'd want to keep around/bring in the transfer market. (assuming the man stays long term) Lots of managers seem to sign players that come from similar background/language/footballing culture as them.

Does anyone else agree with me that Shearer would be the right man for us if we go down anyway?

Realistically speaking, the better quality options such as Bruce etc wouldn't touch us with a bargepole if we went down. We'd have been stuck with Kinnear. Shearer would be the best option, definitely.

Does anyone else agree with me that Shearer would be the right man for us if we go down anyway?

Yep. I can see the light in us going down now, in that he would have the presence to will us back up. Under Kinnear that would have been the end.

Realistically speaking, the better quality options such as Bruce etc wouldn't touch us with a bargepole if we went down. We'd have been stuck with Kinnear. Shearer would be the best option, definitely.

I think playing under Shearer for Newcastle United could convince a few players (not the likes of Owen, Martins, Jonas obviously) to stay one year with us in the CCC and try to get us promoted.

He's going to learn a hell of a lot about football either way.

:lol: Yeah. I'm a bit annoyed we've appointed such a newbie actually.

Definitely. That's why I think it's a great move regardless of what happens.

I was already thinking that if we went down under Kinnear et al. then Shearer should be brought in next season. Even better doing it now.

It will soften the sting of relegation should it happen (hopefully not obviously!) as the club would still rally around Shearer.

I think playing under Shearer for Newcastle United could convince a few players (not the likes of Owen, Martins, Jonas obviously) to stay one year with us in the CCC and try to get us promoted.

Hope you're right on that one. :thup:

Guest palnese

Great news. Works all round.

What are the chances he will ask for Gary Speed to come in as assistant?

And/ or Rob Lee!

Could be very right there. There are so many benefits to this.

The players that will want to stay, the players that will want to sign for us if he stays, the level of leadership he naturally has anyway.

Perfect all over

Could be very right there. There are so many benefits to this.

The players that will want to stay, the players that will want to sign for us if he stays, the level of leadership he naturally has anyway.

Perfect all over

far too early to be thinking of anything like that.

(not that we can't go down but what the feelings in the club would be if it happens)

I think bringing in the old boys of Speed, Lee and Barton would only happen if there was some sort of long-term contract. Maybe Lee would come along but Barton has a pretty good job in LA and Speed wants to be a manager not just a coach.

Just spoken to a Newcastle player who's claimed that Ashley's only done this to get fans on his side.  Again.

Remove the word only and he'd be partly right.  Obviously he wants us the stay up so that's going to be the main reason behind it, getting fans on his side will also be part of it of course.

Guest YANKEEBLEEDSMAGPIE

Perhaps. On the one hand he's bulletproof and there's no way he wouldn't get a fair shake, because the revolt against management would be ferocious and perhaps eternally damaging.

One the other hand Ashley's tenure hasn't exactly been characterized by well-conceived management decisions.