Alan Shearer contract latest: long gone

Shearergol

The right man for the job... but are there enough games left?

Good Question.

It took Keegan 9 or 10 games last season to get his first win, and they only drew 3  of them before finally beating Fulham.

good point. the state we're in and the timing of the appointments means a 'period of adjustment' will almost certainly relegate us. Unlike Keegan last season shearer has no time to learn from his errors and must hit the ground running, which is a huge ask no matter who the manager is. im just praying the impact of his arrival motivates to pick up the points.

Good Question.

It took Keegan 9 or 10 games last season to get his first win, and they only drew 3  of them before finally beating Fulham.

good point. the state we're in and the timing of the appointments means a 'period of adjustment' will almost certainly relegate us. Unlike Keegan last season shearer has no time to learn from his errors and must hit the ground running, which is a huge ask no matter who the manager is. im just praying the impact of his arrival motivates to pick up the points.

The difference is Shearer watches us regularly from his box at the ground so he'll have a fair idea what he's got to work with. Shearer's not the type to go into a job like this in blind hope so he must think he's got a good shot at saving the situation.

Good Question.

The difference is Shearer watches us regularly from his box at the ground so he'll have a fair idea what he's got to work with. Shearer's not the type to go into a job like this in blind hope so he must think he's got a good shot at saving the situation.

i suppose we'll see after his first two or three games. i can see him falling into the trap of building the side around butt, owen, duff, nolan and excluding some of the foreigners (martins, colo, enrique, jonas) but let's hope he's more sense than that.

Good Question.

i suppose we'll see after his first two or three games. i can see him falling into the trap of building the side around butt, owen, duff, nolan and excluding some of the foreigners (martins, colo, enrique, jonas) but let's hope he's more sense than that.

Given that his best service at Newcastle was arguably from Robert and Nobby, I doubt he's gonna be some xenophobic manager.

Guest Howaythetoon

But understanding, commitment, knowledge, passion, intelligence and being strong mentally.

As for experience...

Shearer has been playing football since he was 5 and has won a title, captained club and country, played under a host of top managers and played with and against a host of great players. Indeed he himself was a top player. He knows what its all about.

He will succeed as a manager.

This morning NUFC was the farthest thing from my mind as I set off to work only for the radio to inform me that Shearer was rumoured to be taking over as manager. Aye right I thought. April fools day and all that. Then several texts, phone calls etc. all claiming the same thing came in within a few hours. Again aye right. I even told a mate to piss off and hung up on him. Even when my sister phoned to say he's manager I didn't believe her. Then as the day wore on it become clearer this was no joke and all I could think about was getting home and putting on SSN and logging onto here. I've been wearing a smile all afternoon and everyone back at the office had a spring in their step over the news and it feels fucking good to think and talk about NUFC. Talk of saturday's match and the prospect before today all week was one of "meh" or "not looking forward to another drubbing" to one of "can't fucking wait for Saturday"

Its as if we are not 2nd bottom or pretty much good value to go down any more, even if it is only for a brief while, that's the mood I'm in with regards to the club and that's not down to any decision by Mike Ashley that has seen him belatedly wake the fuck up but Alan Shearer himself, a man I love, respect and KNOW feels exactly the same as I do about this club of OURS.

SHEARER-SHEARER

:smitten:

NUFC

:smitten:

Mike Ashley =  still a cock but fuck him, not about him any longer. Role on Saturday. Bring on the challenge. If we are to go down we'll do so fighting and UNITED.

I understand the excitement, but looking at this dispassionately, ie as an outsider, there's no doubt that the Kinnear appointment was a disaster, but is this the best idea now?

Running out of games, tough run-in, in the relegation places, time running out, he may be a Newcastle legend, but at the end of the day, you're still appointing someone who hasn't managed a parks team.

Ashley tried the emotional appointment with Keegan, and he's done it again here.

Would it not make sense to appoint someone with (recent) experience now and then Shearer from the start of next season?

Although there's no way of knowing just how much of an influence Shearer in his Assistant role had on Roeder's caretaker honeymoon period, in 05/06 we did go from 15th with about a dozen games left (i.e. flirting with relegation) to finishing 7th after a remarkeable turnaround under that pairing following Souness' departure. And we know for sure that Roeder was a s*** manager who failed to inspire his players on top of lacking the balls to play an attacking formation after that honeymoon period ended, so one has to wonder if Shearer's influence in that turnaround might have been pretty significant. Who knows?

What I would say is that he at least does have some experience of being in a management setup that was tasked with saving Newcastle's Premiership status with a limited number of games remaining. Admittedly the job is tougher now with fewer/harder games, and he's in the direct firing line this time as opposed to being behind the scenes, but overall I'd say he has more relevant experience than plenty of other established/experienced managers out there in the game who've never been in such a dangerous position at a club where pressures tend to be inherently higher than elsewhere, managers most of whom wont know the current squad half as well as Shearer probably does. So on the face of it, Shearer's "lack of experience" isn't quite as bad as it's being made out to be.

Ashley has given us a chance with this. Something had to be done and to his credit he has gone out and taken decisive action - at long last. Some on here had dismissed any suggestion of getting someone in as too late; it aint over yet, let's see what this produces. Scarves out on Saturday let's get the atmospehere cranked up.

:indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi: :indi:

Guest Howaythetoon

This appointment gives us a chance and if we are to go down we'll go down fighting and United rather than go down without a fight and fighting amongst each other so in that sense it is actually a very sensible move with the added bonus of lifting fans, city and players alike which at Newcastle is actually more than a bonus, its half the battle. I am absolutely delighted at this decision and couldn't think of a more suitable candidate. This says an awful lot about Shearer in my view, he has some balls and I obviously wish him all the luck in the world because we need it. Neither have anything to lose, stick or bust wasn't an option. We had to go for it and we will be going for it. Whether that will be enough remains to be seen but my god I'm sat here with renewed hope and that bond between fan and club is a tad stronger this evening than it was yesterday.