Joey Barton

JJ7

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Barton will have a great career. When he retires from football. As a CAREER CRIMINAL. What do your precious opta stats say about that.

He did pretty well in the very few games he played last season when he wasnt crippling the opposition. This is probably the first time ive seen him actually have bad games due to his football rather than his temper. He can perform far better than he has been obviously.

He did pretty well in the very few games he played last season when he wasnt crippling the opposition. This is probably the first time ive seen him actually have bad games due to his football rather than his temper. He can perform far better than he has been obviously.

Really? I've been incredibly frustrated by his getting caught in possession many times before this season.

Thought Barton was poor again on Sat, and in the middle this time. The only time he's really delivered for us was in the good run under KK, I don't know what's wrong with him. The ability's in there somewhere but I have my doubts as to whether we'll ever really see it. Can see him losing his place soon with Nolan and Smith looking nailed on to start every game and Guthrie looking better on current form.

Being played out of position is no excuse for constantly misplacing passes and being caught in possession. Using the "on paper" argument and saying Barton's our best midfielder based on his Man City form is as relevant as saying it of Butt based on his Man Utd days.

No its not, thats just a stupid thing to say. His 2007 opta stats were about the best for his club and he had some great games under Keegan. Drawing a parallel to Butt tells me you havent applied a single ounce of logic to that post. 2 seasons ago for a 27 year old or 8 seasons ago for a 35 year old? Yes in a game where physical peak is meant to occur around the ages of 26-28, they are equivalent.

You must be pissed.

Great games under Keegan? Not sure about that, he had some good games certainly in that little run we went on but I'd expect a central midfielder of his billing to look more than quite good in three or four games since he got here two seasons ago. I know he's been injured as well as his other problems but he's shown consistently the same flaws all along on the field. I reckon you can probably count on one hand the amount of 8/10+ games Barton has had for NUFC. If we're making comparisons, Guthrie's been far better in black and white.

He was class away at Spurs when we beat them 1-4 and was a pivotal part of the 4-3-3 formation playing on the left. He was the best player on the pitch when we beat West Brom at home last season too. Am no good with this stuff off the top of my head but i dont remember Guthrie being pivotal in a premiership game for us.

Barton has proven premiership class, Guthrie has it all ahead of him and still needs to prove he can take control of a game at that level. I'd say that Guthrie is a fantastic prospect though and could easily have a better career than Barton for obvious reasons.

Dave, I probably saw him once or twice in a Bolton shirt, nothing more.

Barton's got more ability than Guthrie but the worrying thing for me is that in previous seasons I've mentioned that he looks off the pace, and he also doesn't get into the opposition box much. He's been looking like almost a class player for ages now and even at a lower level he is still getting caught on the ball. I would give him one more chance in the centre and if he fails to produce put Guthrie in there. He might not be as good but he looks like he's 100% committed and I'm not sure you can say that about barton.

UEFA to charge Joey Barton with simulating a professional footballer

Following the decision to charge Arsenal’s Eduardo with ’simulation’, UEFA have today announced their plans to charge Newcastle’s Joey Barton with the significantly more serious offence of ’simulating a professional footballer’.

Eduardo was charged after falling to a non-existent challenge during the Champions League qualifier against Celtic, but Barton’s offences have been shown to go back over many years.

Video evidence has been submitted to UEFA highlighting many examples of Barton’s simulation, as far back as an amatuerish two-footed lunge at an opponent during his debut in 2002 against Middlesbrough.

Evidence

UEFA have studied thousands of hours of footage in which Barton pursues his opponents with violent intent, before attacking them in a method not usually employed by professional footballers.

A UEFA spokesperson told us, “He runs around a lot, and that can be very convincing to the untrained eye, but it is clear to us that he is lacking in all but the most basic footballing attributes.”

“We are charging him with simulation, and we will be pushing for an immediate ban.”

A former team-mate of Barton said the players had their suspicions he was simulating, but were reluctant to speak out.

“To be honest, nobody wanted to say anything for fear of having a cigarette stubbed out in their eye.”

Unfair

Newcastle caretaking caretaker Chris Hughton said, “This is incredibly unfair, I trust that if they’re going to ban Joey, they are also going to investigate other simulated players?”

“Will they be looking at Phil Neville, Kevin Davies, Emile Heskey?  It’s only fair that they investigate all of them as well.”

Upon hearing of Barton’s criminal convictions for violent behaviour, UEFA softened its stance somewhat.

“Well, we’re not completely married to the idea of ban.  Consider it a holiday.  An optional one.  It’s sort of up to him really.”

• 9 months later...

Newcastle United hardman Joey Barton has claimed that he is good enough to make a return to the England national side.

Barton, 27, has so far won one cap for his country, coming on as a substitute in a 1-0 friendly defeat to Spain in 2007.

However, the Magpies' midfielder has acknowledged that he will need to break into the starting XI at St James’ Park first

"First and foremost, I want to do well for Newcastle," Barton told The Shields Gazette.

"But after watching some of the performances in the World Cup, I think, on form, I'm as good as anybody in this country.

I don't say that lightly – I have to go out and prove that – but surely every midfielder in this country should be thinking like that.

"They should be looking at it and saying 'that's where I want to be, and that's where I can go'. That's my goal. And if I break into the England squad, it proves that I'm doing fantastically for this football club.

"Firstly, I have to do well for Newcastle, but, as I say, every midfielder at this club should be thinking like that – Danny Guthrie, ‘Nobby’ Nolan and Smudger (Alan Smith)."

Barton, who suffered with injuries as Newcastle gained promotion last season, is hopeful that England’s failure in South Africa will lead to a shake-up at international level.

"They were built up to do quite well and I thought they would do quite well," he said.

"People are going to chip in with their opinions, but none of us know [what happened]. None of us played in that atmosphere, or played in that pressure.

"As an Englishman, it wasn't good. Hopefully, this can force the game to change, and they'll stop picking big names, and instead pick players that are playing well.

Barton should just concentrate on playing football for us.

But he's right, though. England's midfield at the World Cup was shit and Nolan, Guthrie and Barton wouldn't have done any worse than they did.

Thing is, he wouldn't have just come up with that - a journo would have asked him something like "After the World Cup performance, you must think you can get in the England team, eh Joey?"

Yep, and you can't really argue with his response to be honest.

He does like a bit of a natter to the press though. Hopefully he'll stay fit long enough to have a decent crack at justifying himself.

Is it just me, or does Barton seem like a changed man? Like he's finally settling down and staying out of trouble. If its true, we'll see the benefits this season.

.....cue him beating someone up tonight!!

Is it just me, or does Barton seem like a changed man? Like he's finally settling down and staying out of trouble. If its true, we'll see the benefits this season.

He's always talked a good story.

Think he has changed, too. And really hope it, obviously.

God, he really has like. Ever since he joined he's gone about trying to earn this media halo with lots of sweet talk of being a changed man, more determined than ever, he owes us etc etc etc.

I really hope he can perform for us though. At his best he is a very good player and could be a very important one for us, too.

Not one 'World Class' performance in three years (football that is, excluding Boxing, MMA etc) and he reckons he's got a chance of breaking into the international set up?

He's got no right to be saying that unless he's got a Glaswegian Granny, Estonian Uncle or his Dad had a sordid affair with a San Marino based model cum mentalist.

Joey does seem to carry around this sense of injustice, which keeps spilling out. I don't think his comments about Capello selecting the 'big names' are very sensible.

He's mostly spot on regarding Capello & England imo.