Newcastle United vs. Portsmouth-Monday 27th April 8pm *Setanta 1* Pre-match

joeyt

Now this match is a must-win. :neutral:

If we lose this then we're as good as down. We have to win this one and I believe that if we do then we'll go on and beat Boro and Fulham too. These 90 minutes are the most pivotal the club has known for a generation - and I'm not exaggerating.  :undecided:

The consequences of losing don't even bear thinking about and we need another David Kelly. Someone to score a goal from something to get us 3 points to keep us alive. We're desperate and on a knife-edge - it hinges on beating these twats again.

We have to win...

And we will.  :thup:

So scared about this. Much bigger than Birmingham and Sheff U to think of in the past couple of years, if we don't win this i really think that is it. Not too disheartened by the result today, although the performance was poor we played alright the last 25 minutes so as it has been for weeks, it will come down to the 3 homes games.

If anything, for me we got a bonus point at Stoke as i had expected us to lose. How fucking depressing is this.

Guest optimistic nit

what i'm dreading the most is beating pompey and boro only to have our hopes crushed by losing our final 2 when we only needed 1 point. that said, pompey and boro coming before fulham is massive. the fulham game will be tough, but if we can approach that game having even got 4/6 from our last home games then i fancy us to perform. if not, then we'll be as good as relegated anyway.

Guest battyleespeed

Just one wish for Shearer: Drop Ryan Taylor. I don't care who is replacing him but just do it.

Actually, we might aswell chuck Guthrie in as that deep-lying midfielder, rather than Butt. At the end of the day, Butt hardly offers protection to the defense so Guthrie is no worse. Difference being, Guthrie can actually keep possession, and with the added movement of Jonas/Barton/Oba/Owen in that formation - it would work well in theory.

If we'd had that team every single week since the start of the season (maybe with a Shay in there)... and Keegan in charge, i think we'd be right up there. But oh well.

We need Guthrie playing higher up the pitch if we want any chances to be created from midfield though.

Ideally, we'd clone Guthrie and play them both, but maybe we could risk Smith playing in the deep-lying midfielder's role instead.

Just one wish for Shearer: Drop Ryan Taylor. I don't care who is replacing him but just do it.

I think I'd rather have Geremi in there instead.

Guest battyleespeed

Harper

Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique

Guthrie Smith Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

And I think we'd win.

Ya reet its our only hope.

yep, that'd be my team too

Seconded, except Beye should be in the middle instead of mistake-prone Taylor.  It's touch and go between Butt and Smith. I'd play Butt for he is better in defending and keeping shape of the formation.

What's going on with Lovenkrads?

Harper

Beye Taylor Bassong Enrique

Guthrie Smith Jonas

Owen

Viduka Martins

And I think we'd win.

Ya reet its our only hope.

yep, that'd be my team too

Seconded, except Beye should be in the middle instead of mistake-prone Taylor.  It's touch and go between Butt and Smith. I'd play Butt for he is better in defending and keeping shape of the formation.

What's going on with Lovenkrads?

smith showed yesterday he can pass a ball to his team mates with more regularity than butt ever has so he's in for me, we shouldn't underestimate the effect that passing the ball to our own team might actually have on the game!

Dear me, we've sunk to the level where we're voluntarily putting Alan Smith on our team sheets.

Just shoot me now.

did you watch the game yesterday oldtype?

Yes, and Smith had his second best game ever for us by managing to not be a complete liability for 45 minutes.

It doesn't mean I have to like the fact that he's suddenly our least bad central midfielder.

Dear me, we've sunk to the level where we're voluntarily putting Alan Smith on our team sheets.

Just shoot me now.

did you watch the game yesterday oldtype?

Yes, and Smith had his second best game ever for us by managing to not be a complete liability for 45 minutes.

It doesn't mean I have to like the fact that he's suddenly our least bad central midfielder.

nobody likes it mate, but you just said it yourself he's suddenly our least bad midfielder

he's more mobile than butt and duff and seems capable of passing short-mid range to his own team mates more often than either

out of guthrie, butt, nolan, jonas & smith only an idiot would now be picking butt & nolan in a 3 man midfield

A whole 8 days to wait until this game.   :rant:

I feel like I want a game every day - just to get it all over with

This. Still, atleast it might give the squad some time to get players fit, get a system that actually works, and show Shearer who should be in the XI and those who shouldn't.

If Owen must play then its gotta be the KK system or some other miraculous system so he gets service. I think Shearer wants to start Viduka and Martins (and i think Guthrie was injured recently), but their fitness coupld prevent that from occuring.

If SJP was like the Brittannia was last weekend a result is so much more likely, a cauldron of noise whether the play is good or not and jeering the Pompey team could be the boost needed, whether the team in everyones eyes deserve that kinda support or not is up to you, but I don't want to be not watching (we'll get shit all coverage where i am) Championship football next season, so do it for yourselves if noone else lol.

Guest battyleespeed

Carroll          S. Taylor

Viduka

Jonas    Butt    Smith

Enrique  Bassong    Beye    Geremi

Harper

Put S. Taylor up front to cause "some mayhem"... need someone inspirational upfront and who can get on to their faces. Owen relegated to the bench and get on after Viduka tires. Geremi to replace the waster that is R. Taylor. The lad is slow as hell but can't do any worse. At least he can keep possession.

Anyone know Shearer's email address?

Viduka

Jonas    Butt    Smith

Enrique   Bassong    Beye    Geremi

Harper

Put S. Taylor up front to cause "some mayhem"... need someone inspirational upfront and who can get on to their faces. Owen relegated to the bench and get on after Viduka tires. Geremi to replace the waster that is R. Taylor. The lad is slow as hell but can't do any worse. At least he can keep possession.

Joe man your hearts still bad, get back to hospital

Gutted that we're facing Portsmouth just when they're on a decent run.

Glen Johnson looks pretty good as a right midfielder, so we need Enrique back.  Couldn't watch another game with Duff as LB.

Please Shearer, 4 at the back.

Viduka

Jonas    Butt    Smith

Enrique   Bassong    Beye    Geremi

Harper

Guthrie must start!

Shearer really fucked up not starting with him yesterday.

I'd like to give Steven Taylor a go in centre mid - he's quick and can get up and down, good in the air and the tackle, will give 100% and will undoubtedly recognise the importance of protecting the back four. Can't be any worse than Nolan and Butt at least.

Steven Taylor up front and in midfield? Fucking hell. :lol:

May aswell give him a chance in goal too whilst we're at it. Good with his hands and likes diving around theatrically. :thup: