Newcastle United 0 - 0 Portsmouth - 27/04/09 - post match reaction from page 22

Nate

Hate to say it, but I think that's us done in the Premiership. Can't fault the effort, they worked their bollocks off and it showed in the last 15 when they tired.

We need three points at either Villa or Liverpool now.

I think two wins would do it but can't see us getting them. And I also think it's more down to lack of ability than effort.

Just a word for the Butt haters - the last 20 minutes were a complete waste of time because we couldn't get the ball - guess why?

Because Butt is useless even as a free space for the opposition players to run across. :angry:

I'm still not convinced we'll go down.

I don't think it'll hit me until the Premiership restarts next season. I'll be sitting at a beer garden with a few mates watching the first match kick off at 12.30pm and realise that we're not playing [in the Premiership] that weekend.

Were fucked!

Michael Owen can take his huge fucking paycheck and can just fuck right off.  All time crock purchase of the history of NUFC.  How he can sleep at night collecting the wages he does with the scoring rate he has is beyond me.  Yeah, he needs more service, but when the ball does get to him he doesn't do shit with it.  He's a complete fucking waste and one of the major reasons why we'll be playing at Peterborough next year.

Yeah I know others are major contributors too, but Owen over the past 4 years he has siphoned so much money out of the club for next to no return that he is clearly one of the reasons we've had limited ability to invest in other players.  Owen can lay claim to costing NUFC over 40,960,000 pounds (including any bonuses and less FA compensation, etc...) for a return of 30 goals.  That's 1.4 million pounds per NUFC career goal.  I hope he feels proud of his time with the Toon.

Harper 6

Beye 6

Coloccini 6

Bassong 6

Duff 5

Guthrie 6

Butt 6

Smith 6

Martins 3 (how the hell did he miss that one)

Owen 2 (well played stealing the throughball from martins in a better position)

Viduka 4

Jonas 1

Carroll 1

I thought Guthrie was shocking...am I alone in that?

Nope. Passing was abysmal in the second-half.

Just a word for the Butt haters - the last 20 minutes were a complete waste of time because we couldn't get the ball - guess why?

"the Butt haters."  Jesus.  We basically ensure relegation, and someone is on here defending Nicky fucking Butt.  Jesus. 

Yup, sounds about the right time for everyone on here to turn on each other!

In all seriousness though NJS, I think that's a thin argument. I think the last 10 minutes had more to do with fatigue, lack of fresh ideas and nothing to link defence and attack. Oh, and Duff vs Pennant/Johnson.

Harper 6

Beye 6

Coloccini 6

Bassong 6

Duff 5

Guthrie 6

Butt 6

Smith 6

Viduka 4

Jonas 1

Carroll 1

He seemed very nervous and rushed a lot of his passes, so yeah, he was pretty shocking.

Our players tried. That's obvious. We just missed two very easy chances and that's that.

We also probably got lucky on the Coloccini tackle. I thought the ref could have easily given a penalty for that.

Harper 6

Beye 6

Coloccini 6

Bassong 6

Duff 5

Guthrie 6

Butt 6

Smith 6

Viduka 4

Jonas 1

Carroll 1

Guthrie had those brief moments when he first came on, but then he was awful.

Harper 6

Beye 6

Coloccini 6

Bassong 6

Duff 5

Guthrie 6

Butt 6

Smith 6

Viduka 4

Jonas 1

Carroll 1

No, I thought the pressure got to him. He looked very jittery.

It could it have something to do with the fact that the team does not have enough athletes in it to last the pace.

Butt is one of the worst in this department BTW.

Because Butt is useless even as a free space for the opposition players to run across. :angry:

I hate to admit it, but we actually needed Butt. Alan Smith for all his "hard-tackling" and neat passing (no sarcasm there) has no sense of positioning as a DM.

If anything Fulham are going to be even harder to break down, really can't see us getting points from anyone but Boro.  Guess Ashley will probably be forced to sell if we go down, bet he wishes he'd snapped some hands off just before he took us off the market.

Fulham won't defend as deep because they're in UEFA Cup contention and Boro will need to score or else they're down as well.

Before the match, I had us surviving on 37 points but I had us winning against Pompey and drawing against Fulham. We can still do this, but I really think that we need something from Anfield or Villa Park now.

Guest alijmitchell

We are down, this is awful. For all of us that grew up in the Keegan era, this will be extremely difficult to take. How can the team I loved that strode into the premiership and took it by storm turn into the rancid pile of shit. Farewell to NUFC as I have known it, hello ccc.

I hate to admit it, but we actually needed Butt. Alan Smith for all his "hard-tackling" and neat passing (no sarcasm there) has no sense of positioning as a DM.

Smith was our best fucking player

The situation is not terminal yet mathematically. But it's become useless speculating on future results. We're not going to be getting any wins.

This basically.  Maybe Liverpool will have an off day, we can secure a point at Anfield, beat Boro, draw Fulham and stay up!

Then I remember that the same shower of shit will be wearing the shirt.  The fact that it is not yet a mathematical certainty doesn't help us when the players aren't good enough to take advantage.  It takes urgency, commitment and a little bit of ability.  I can see us beating Villa on the final day only for Hull to win as well, sending us down, and Phil Brown celebrating like mad. 

We are down, this is awful. For all of us that grew up in the Keegan era, this will be extremely difficult to take. How can the team I loved that strode into the premiership and took it by storm turn into the rancid pile of s***. Farewell to NUFC as I have known it, hello ccc.

Yep, they've never been this bad since i started supporting them...

Its pretty devastating

Smith was our best fucking player

:lol: I'll have whatever you're smoking.

It could it have something to do with the fact that the team does not have enough athletes in it to last the pace.

Butt is one of the worst in this department BTW.

Butt isn't much of an athlete but he does have the anticipation needed to break down opposition, and he always makes himself available when we're in possession whereas the other players, bar Duff, Jonas and Enrique, go hiding.