Liverpool - Newcastle United | Sun May 3rd - 1:30pm @ Anfield - Pre Match Thread

Kaizero

If Owen is dropped I don't think we will get battered, if we pick the right men in midfield. I would pick 5 across the middle:

Harper

Beye, Colo, Bassong, Duff

Smith, Butt, Barton

Guthrie                    Jonas

Viduka/Oba

That midfield 5 has the running and energy to stop the Liverpool onslaught, after that we can only hope the defence doesn't make mistakes.

Guest Darth Toon

If we're going with just Viduka up front then we need some pace down the flanks or we'll just spend 90 minutes completely penned in - I would consider a midfield with:

Lovenkrands - Smith - Butt - Barton - Jonas

For this game I wouldn't be against Viduka up on his own. Shame we don't have a LB because I think Lovenkrands & Duff either side of him would work in this instance.

Just seen it on a liverpool site

...which one

raotl

Then link us. I have to decide whether I should remove Torres from my fantasy prem team. <_<

Yeah same. But there's nothing like that on any other Liverpool forum...

Excellent result there for us, obviously good that Boro lost, but also surely the title is sewn up now. Had Man United dropped points Liverpool would have been well up for it.

I think you're setting yourself up for a fall if you're expecting Liverpool to go easy on us. :undecided:

Excellent result there for us, obviously good that Boro lost, but also surely the title is sewn up now. Had Man United dropped points Liverpool would have been well up for it.

I think you're setting yourself up for a fall if you're expecting Liverpool to go easy on us. :undecided:

Certainly not expecting them to go easy, just maybe 'easier' than if Man United had dropped points today. I'll settle for anything up to a 3-0 defeat.

Guest Stephen927

If anything, it'll make Liverpool even more determined to try and pick up the pace, with so few games left.

Guest Alan Shearer 9

We should play Butt up front on his own. Remember that friendly when he scored 2 bullet headers? Say what you like about Butt but he is the best headerer of a ball in the history of the modern game, he just hasn't had the service. Stick him in the box and whip the balls into him he'll be deadly, we could possibly make a last push for europe. (slits wrists)

If we drop a foward for an extra midfielder we're done. We've been shite at defending all season, our best form of defence is our attack simply because the ball stays further away from our goal.  If we just try to take pressure, we'll get severely battered.

Unfortunately Liverpool are the one member of the top four who we never seem to be able to compete with on the day. With the others, we occasionally put up a fight, with Liverpool it tends to be like a knife through butter from the start.

Unfortunately Liverpool are the one member of the top four who we never seem to be able to compete with on the day. With the others, we occasionally put up a fight, with Liverpool it tends to be like a knife through butter from the start.

Liverpool were actually the last top 4 side we managed to beat.

Liverpool were actually the last top 4 side we managed to beat.

Oh shut up.

If he's scrapping the 4-3-3 then he's very daft imo. It's blatantly the only formation that'll potentially keep us up.

I appreciate that it's not his team and he's been brought in far too late, but he needs to stop tinkering now like. It's do or die and he's just got to take a punt, pick a formation and go with it. 4-3-3 is the best option, by far iyam.

If he's scrapping the 4-3-3 then he's very daft imo. It's blatantly the only formation that'll potentially keep us up.

I appreciate that it's not his team and he's been brought in far too late, but he needs to stop tinkering now like. It's do or die and he's just got to take a punt, pick a formation and go with it. 4-3-3 is the best option, by far iyam.

If he goes 4-3-3 tomorrow, a 3 man midfield of Butt, Nolan and Guthrie/Smith will be absolutely raped off the park by the Liverpool midfield.

Fair enough for the home games, but we need 4-5-1/4-4-2 tomorrow IMO.

If we drop a foward for an extra midfielder we're done. We've been shite at defending all season, our best form of defence is our attack simply because the ball stays further away from our goal.  If we just try to take pressure, we'll get severely battered.

4-3-3 is ok against the lesser teams who won't make the most of the space they get against a three man midfield, against the top four it's a disaster waiting to happen. Even in the successful spell under Keegan last year it didn't work against the likes of Chelsea and that was with all three strikers fully fit and bang in form.

We aren't going to trouble Liverpool with any combo of strikers tomorrow, IMO to have any chance we have to stop them playing and that means crowding the midfield and cutting off the supply to their best players.