Any Ashley apologists on here?

Big Geordie

heres my 2 cents, im bored by the constant ashley debates to such a point as im past the point of caring, whether we like it or not we're stuck with him for the foreseeable future as theres not exactly a que of rich guys to buy the club

Let's just wait until the transfer window closes and/or we've actually played some games before we have a debate about whether he's more or less s*** than he was a month ago.

Doesn't somebody say this every window? :lol:

You won't find me defending his transfer policy at this time because the side NEEDS investment in order to be sure of staying in the PL, let alone make progress.

Unfortunately, nobody who has any big money is interested in buying the club at this time and we can put this down to several things but the main reason in my opinion is that we have not been successful for 40 years. We are not on the radar for rich overseas buyers. Even Blackburn have won the PL within the last 15 years...clubs like Leicester and Villa have won silverware during the last 20 also. Then there is the huge debt for which Ashley wants his money back..

The one thing in his favour is that had we still been owned by the previous regime, we would almost certainly have been bust by now - at least we are still in the ball-park and the club's current financial situation means that we are unlikely to fall foul of the new requirements that all clubs will have to fulfill in the future.

Sadly, unless someone with big bucks and ambition comes along, the situation here is likely to be repeated

NEXT close season too.

Unfortunately, nobody who has any big money is interested in buying the club

How do you know that? I would not be surprised if Newcastle was sold before the window closes. I'm not saying it will happpen but it does explain the lack of activity at the club.

Guest Roger Kint

How do you know that? I would not be surprised if Newcastle was sold before the window closes. I'm not saying it will happpen but it does explain the lack of activity at the club.

:facepalm:

Unfortunately, nobody who has any big money is interested in buying the club

:lol:

Let's just wait until the transfer window closes and/or we've actually played some games before we have a debate about whether he's more or less s*** than he was a month ago.

Yes, because it's completely correct... wise in fact.

Most people are basing their criticism on past form and on the implicit presumption of no further significant transfer activity, only scrapping for loans with the rest of the bottom feeders. Why do we have to wait until the outcome is proven to have the debate?

Still, there's plenty of cause for optimism I suppose. End of the window signings under Llambias :

Xisco

Gonzalez (L)

Nolan

R Taylor

Harewood (L)

Van Aanholt (L)

Hall (L)

Best

Although of course it would be unreasonable to expect to live up to this kind of quality with no capital outlay.

Why do only end of window signings count though, that's just timing. Don't think it really means anything when in the window the deals happen.

I was only talking about whether Ashley would be more or less bad than before, I think it's fair to say something should have to happen before we judge that.

Why do only end of window signings count though, that's just timing. Don't think it really means anything when in the window the deals happen.

I was only talking about whether Ashley would be more or less bad than before, I think it's fair to say something should have to happen before we judge that.

Because for the most part the better players who move in a transfer window move before the last couple of weeks. Typically, what's left is the dregs. You may get a hidden gem (eg Beye), but that's usually more down to luck than judgement. The last few weeks of the window should be for squad fillers, not 1st teamers.

Are you waiting for the polar ice caps to disappear before you think about global warming?

Making a prediction about a specific transfer window (it will be crap) based on past performance is one thing.  Waiting until the end of the window to assess its levels of crap is entirely another.

To use your polar ice cap analogy, the former is saying "we see this trend of ice caps melting and think it will continue" and the latter is "let's see if ice is refreezing or continuing to melt faster in this specific period."  The former makes a prediction the latter is verifying it, but not jumping to conclusions.

Has nothing to do with supporting or not supporting ashley.

for the record: he is crap and I think this window will very likely be a huge disappointment.  I just can't agree that a final verdict can be passed before the end of it.

It's pointless me arguing this really, my point was that we should just wait to see how we do in this transfer window before we judge how we've done in this transfer window.

If you want to have an argument on hypothetical outcomes, that's fair enough.

I could equally have an argument based on the hypothetical situation that the Ben Arfa deal goes through, along with another one or two.

Guest neesy111

It's pointless me arguing this really, my point was that we should just wait to see how we do in this transfer window before we judge how we've done in this transfer window.

I could equally have an argument based on the hypothetical situation that the Ben Arfa deal goes through, along with another one or two.

why is it thst under the curren regime we aere waiting until the end of the transfer window, as in the previous regime most transfers were done by july

Everyones an expert on how to run a club. I cant believe so many seemingly 'sensible' people seemingly fail to understand the singular importance of having the right man running the team, which in my opinion isnt Hughton.

How much you spend on the team pales in significances in comparison to having the right man in charge.

The lack of transfer cash is a fair stick to beat Ashley with, potentially missing out on Ben Arfa will add another few inches to the stick (and rightly so), but the way it gets harped out and overplayed every transfer window is boring.

My philosophy of what we should be doing is basically this, I'd rather have someone like Martin O'Neill at the club than Lionel Messi. Ive opened myself up to absolute ridicule and fully expect to be riduculed but it does make perfect sense.

To be fair, you deserve ridicule. You've defended this inept moron ever since he proved that he was one, and now you continue to do so. Martin O'Neill got Aston Villa to where it was by spending a load of money. He walked when some of his players had to be sold. How the hell do you think someone like Ashley, with a tradition of selling players behind the manager's back without even putting the money back in the club, is going to attract O'Neill? How the hell is Ashley going to attract any manager if he continues not supporting them -- and even sacking the more successful among them, like you suggest? Only a no-name manager like Hughton, or someone who's been out of a job for years, like Kinnear, will work for that man.

You're a fucking idiot, man.

Missing the point spectaculalry.

Well done.

why is it thst under the curren regime we aere waiting until the end of the transfer window, as in the previous regime most transfers were done by july

Getting them in early means you've got to pay them their wages for August... ;)

I have given up on Ashley altogether. We spent some money last season because being in the Championship meant we didn't need t buy quality players, but it's clear now we are back in the premier he has no intention of upgrading to the standard needed. The Ben Arfa deal will die a death and we will end up signing some no mark from abroad or more Ryan Taylor types from the english game. Epic fail.

Most people are basing their criticism on past form and on the implicit presumption of no further significant transfer activity, only scrapping for loans with the rest of the bottom feeders. Why do we have to wait until the outcome is proven to have the debate?

Still, there's plenty of cause for optimism I suppose. End of the window signings under Llambias :

Xisco

Gonzalez (L)

Nolan

R Taylor

Harewood (L)

Van Aanholt (L)

Hall (L)

Best

Although of course it would be unreasonable to expect to live up to this kind of quality with no capital outlay.

trying to work out if your being sarcastic or not  I.E most of the players in that list apart from Van Aanholt and questionably Nolan who has loads of prem experience but is arguably finished at this level  ,the jury is out on Gonzalez and Xisco cos they got injured and out of favour , ffs this type of quality is just not good enough in the battle we will be in .

I'd rather have someone like Martin O'Neill at the club than Lionel Messi.

This is hands down the worst thing anyone has ever posted on this foum.

Look at the long term, if we signed messi he's get us up a few places but then what? is the club in a better place long term, i think not, does the playing staff around him get better with the signing of messi, i tihink not. With a pretty ordinary manager like O'neill you get someone who will amost guarantuee to imprve the fortunes of the club, like he did at Celtic, like hedid at Villa (albeit with money) and most importantly like he did with Leicester. The way i see it is if he leaves us stabiliesd around midtable dont we have a better chance of getting a better manager from there on in moving us up further...the point stands.

Guest neesy111

Source ?

no source - it's fact  :thup:

Well that's a different point to the one I was discussing. I don't know, obviously we aren't getting deals done when we would like...no idea what the reason is.

Source ?

Because you say so ?? Every season on this board before the start of the season people panic about purchases and that happened before Ashley joined us. I'm not stating anything else other than we did have late signings with the previous board, many of whom were shite.

As soon as the transfer window is closed the same people who are saying we should wait until it's closed to complain will be saying that what's done is done, noone knows whose fault it really was, and there's no point in complaining now the window is closed and we should just get behind the team.

Source ?

Its not fact though is it? Sibierski anyone?