RIP sale thread.

Tooj
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

By Thursday or Friday, Harris should be in position to offer Ashley his recommendation. In essence, Ashley will accept the highest bid, although Harris, a football man (and former chairman of the Football League) who has been toiling assiduously on the project, is mindful of the responsibilities of his position (in other words, he wants Newcastle to be left in safe hands). At the time of writing, it looks as if an official announcement on Newcastle’s next owners could be made by the middle of next week.

Didn't understand that bit, why would Harris care? Or did he mean Ashley, and why would he care?

That Caulkin article is very 'matter of fact', isn't it?

Yes ollie it certainly is hmm hmm hmm

;D

I just mean he sounds pretty fucking certain; bids on Wednesday, decision by Friday, announcement next week.

Almost sounds half proffesional. ???

Wooooooo bring on the Yanks. :cheesy:

By Thursday or Friday, Harris should be in position to offer Ashley his recommendation. In essence, Ashley will accept the highest bid, although Harris, a football man (and former chairman of the Football League) who has been toiling assiduously on the project, is mindful of the responsibilities of his position (in other words, he wants Newcastle to be left in safe hands). At the time of writing, it looks as if an official announcement on Newcastle’s next owners could be made by the middle of next week.

Didn't understand that bit, why would Harris care? Or did he mean Ashley, and why would he care?

Cos he's 'a football man'. O0

/Harris, not Ashley obviously.

Guest fading star

Probably code for not selling it to Shepherd.

By Thursday or Friday, Harris should be in position to offer Ashley his recommendation. In essence, Ashley will accept the highest bid, although Harris, a football man (and former chairman of the Football League) who has been toiling assiduously on the project, is mindful of the responsibilities of his position (in other words, he wants Newcastle to be left in safe hands). At the time of writing, it looks as if an official announcement on Newcastles next owners could be made by the middle of next week.

Neither of them care, whoever bids the highest will get the club.

Neither of them care, whoever bids the highest will get the club.

Fair enough tbh.

Talk is cheap. Whoever is willing to pay the most is as likely as any to be the most commited.

Newcastle could really do with some American owners to be honest.  This kind of s*** (and the kind of s*** that has been happening to this club for years) would never fly in America.

...because they don't have relegation. Mismanagement is not exclusive to Britain.

Newcastle could really do with some American owners to be honest.  This kind of s*** (and the kind of s*** that has been happening to this club for years) would never fly in America.

...because they don't have relegation. Mismanagement is not exclusive to Britain.

My point has nothing to do with relegation at all.  There are very few professional sports teams in America ran like a fucking circus.

My point has nothing to do with relegation at all.  There are very few professional sports teams in America ran like a f***ing circus.

Disagree - there are plenty of examples of similar circus type management.

Al Davis - Raiders

Mark Cuban - Mavs

De Bartolo family - 49ers

Marge Schott - Reds

He cares about his own reputation obviously (Harris that is not Ashley) and trying to find the best buyer for the club protects that reputation.

My point has nothing to do with relegation at all.  There are very few professional sports teams in America ran like a f***ing circus.

Al Davis - Raiders

Mark Cuban - Mavs

Marge Schott - Reds

4 out of 92 (MLB, NBA, NFL - 137 if you include NHL & MLS)? 

I think a lot of his has to do with the passion aspect of English Football.  The reason the top clubs are doing well is because they are run by foreigners with no real passion for the club and  (sometimes) enlist personnel with close ties to the club to help advise them, but when the "hour cometh" they think with their head and with business sense rather than their heart and hold very little sentiment.

Now it just boils down to the choice, would you rather have a some-what soulless club (at least from the boardroom stand-point - there will always be passionate fans) that is well run and be at the top of the game or have a haphazardly run club with local owners at the helm and being adrift in the lower leagues?  Unfortunately the face of the game has changed, even over the past 20 years or so, and you've either gotta keep up or fall behind.  Football is a world business now and there is very little room for staunch localism. 

Al Davis - Raiders

Mark Cuban - Mavs

Marge Schott - Reds

4 out of 92 (MLB, NBA, NFL - 137 if you include NHL & MLS)? 

I think a lot of his has to do with the passion aspect of English Football.  The reason the top clubs are doing well is because they are run by foreigners with no real passion for the club and  (sometimes) enlist personnel with close ties to the club to help advise them, but when the "hour cometh" they think with their head and with business sense rather than their heart and hold very little sentiment.

Now it just boils down to the choice, would you rather have a some-what soulless club (at least from the boardroom stand-point - there will always be passionate fans) that is well run and be at the top of the game or have a haphazardly run club with local owners at the helm and being adrift in the lower leagues?  Unfortunately the face of the game has changed, even over the past 20 years or so, and you've either gotta keep up or fall behind.  Football is a world business now and there is very little room for staunch localism. 

There is room for staunch localism at the level of fans at least, though certainly less than before. If there wasn't, then me and you would probably have found better things to do than banter on here. There is also room for staunch localism at the top, as long as the chairman is not incompetent - see Wigan.

I mentioned relegation seriously, because the entire American system is so different that we can only take some lessons, not look at the US as a panacea. No relegation, wage caps, the draft, etc etc - "chairmen" and owners in America are protected from abject, tragicomic failure by the system. I don't know enough about the checks in place regarding prospective owners of American franchises to say whether they are more or less stringent than those here - but my guess is that they are more.

I would like to be well-run and be at the top of the game, regardless of whatever country the person in charge comes from. I agree that those at the top are doing well, but is it really because they are run by foreigners? Is it more likely that, like Man U, Arsenal & Liverpool, a team was doing well, the Champions League perpetuated that and then someone came in with a lot of money (borrowed or not) - it just happened to be someone from America in the case of Man U or Liverpool.

Liverpool, Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal were or are ran by british execs or owners up until recently, parry, moores etc at liverpool, david dein and peter hill wood at arsenal, edwards, gill and kenyon at man utd, bates, harding and kenyon at chelsea. also US sports stars are more badly behaved than even the worst of the british bling brigade, seems like they cant go a week without a couple murder, shooting, robbery or drugs controversies.

Al Davis - Raiders

Mark Cuban - Mavs

Marge Schott - Reds

If our new American owners do for Newcastle what Mark Cuban did for the Mavericks, then I'll be very very pleased.  He's a loud mouth, but he made them successful.  Same goes for Jerry Jones in Dallas.  They like the spotlight, they like the circus, but they usually win more games because of it. 

Al Davis and the Ford family in Detroit are the worst examples I can think of.  American or not however, we could do with a less sentimental and more results oriented ownership.  It will help keep Freddie Shepherd in check at the very least.

Depends what Al Davis were talking about.  Don't get me wrong, I think the Raiders are the scum of the earth and watching them fail harder and harder each year since the Superbowl loss has been a joy to behold, but back when he had all his marbles Al Davis and the Raiders were the model franchise of the NFL along with the Pittsburgh Steelers for around 30 years.  Just look at his record with coaches until he shipped off Gruden in 02 (About the time he went senile and started replacing coaches every season and a half - all who were hopeless except for Kiffin - who he ran out of town)