The England Thread

Pilko

Guest Geordiesned

Capello will take him. England will struggle for goals due to lack of striking options and not make it out of group. Media will slate Capello. Capello won't even be in the country to hear criticism and will be counting his money whilst lining up his next lucrative contract.

What Rooney did was idiotic and his temper has always been questioned.  2-0 up, qualification gauranteed and he does that.

Selecting him in the 23 man squad would almost be rewarding him for what he's done.  Misses the group stages and if you qualify he just gets to waltz in for the quarter finals.  Wouldn't send a good message to the other players in the squad.

Wouldn't take Rooney at all. Don't give a f*** how good he is - he needs to learn his lesson.

Aye especially now it's confirmed 3 game-ban. Last 8 is probably the best we'd do with or without Rooney, so might as well give the likes of Sturridge or Carroll a chance to shine.

He's still our best player, so not taking him feels a bit like cutting our nose off to spite our face.

Without him, I'd say we only have a 50-50 chance of emerging from the group stage, assuming average luck with the draw.

At the moment, we're a bit lacking in the striker department. Bent, Defoe, Crouch, Zamora, Heskey, Carroll - none have made a strong case. I'm hoping Welbeck emerges this season as the real deal.

Viewing this as an outsider, it seems very strange to me not to take Rooney to the championship. You have to be ambitious and it is in the knock-out matches you really need a player of his qualities.

I understand a lot of this is said in spite and that you have to "teach him a lesson", but leaving out a player when you would need him the most is just stupid. If the alternatives deserve to start after the group stages, what's the problem, just start them?

Feels harsh to effectively ban a player from a whole tournament for the actual offence committed However, rules is rules. The only basis for an appeal would surely be precedent and I'm not sure if there's a case to be made in that department.

FWIW, I'd probably still take him. best case scenario is that his absence for the group stages could force the replacement to up his game to keep his spot and, if we get through, a wound up Rooney could be extremely motivated to prove himself. We almost always seem to have pre-tournament issues surrounding our best players don't we?