The England Thread

Pilko

Pls tell me the non German thing isn't based on anything historic?

It's probably not futuristic.

Weyyyy. But still.

"Mind you this might only be a darts match but we've stil got to beat these German lads"

"Hows' that like?"

"Cos these bastards bombed me granny"

Italy was complicit and actively participated in aerial attack on Britain, yet Capello got his millions. Cameroon was cut and sliced repeatedly by Britain, Germany, and France yet hire French and German managers repeatedly. Et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. 

Eriksson also flopped in three main issues for England:

2. For such a good side on paper, they were largely a lucky team (Germany 5-1 aside). I don't remember a single game against top opposition where I felt really positive or that we dominated to such an extent or that I enjoyed our style of play. In fact the last time England looked good, was under Glenn Hoddle in France 98. I think that team with Shearer, Owen, etc were more unlucky than most. They gave a good Argentina side featuring a peak Batistuta a helluva game with only 10 men and had a goal ruled out. They shouldn't have really faced Argentina as it was only down to a silly penalty against Romania that ensured we finished second as opposed to top of the group. .

While I don't disagree, at international football I don't know how often this actually happens. If you look at the last 2 World Cup finalists:

Spain - won all the games 1-0 with the mighty Paraguay a penalty save away from taking the lead. Don't think they played brilliantly at all except maybe in defending against Germany in the semi's.

Netherlands - weren't brilliant in 2010 in terms of style of play.

I believe the lines between success and failure at international level are so small. Like you say, a poor tackle and the route you take becomes very hard.

If Klopp wanted to manage England, fair enough, bring him in. Xenophobia is stupid.

But in real life the actual German national team are getting fantastic results with a former Austrian league manager whose main career accomplishment was winning a German cup in 1996. Plenty of managers who would never get a job in the Premier League doing well in this World Cup with less talent than the England team. The national team have bigger problems than the man picking the team.

Xenophobia, man. Do one.

There's absolutely no xenophobia in saying that the manager should be the same nationality as the players (not that I particularly agree with that) or that a German coach wouldn't work as manager of England.

Xenophobia, man. Do one.

There's absolutely no xenophobia in saying that the manager should be the same nationality as the players (not that I particularly agree with that) or that a German coach wouldn't work as manager of England.

The idea that the national manager should be the same nationality as the team is not xenophobic at all. "Except a German" is a bit.

In a perfect world the best man for the job would be English, that's always been my preference. Unfortunately there's a dearth of quality English managers, even good ones are hard to find. Given this unfortunate situation then looking elsewhere/abroad is pretty much inevitable.

It would just inflame an ailing connection between the national team and the media and fans. It would inevitably end badly setting the team back further and risk hurting the interest of potential appointments. Not to mention the fact there's a pool of good managers out there who'd want the job, far more proven and suitable than Klopp or any other German.

Guest neesy111

I'm not sure it does, mind Capello had obvious communication issues as his English was pretty poor.

For similar reasons to why the nationality of the players do. Arseholes like Shola Ameobi and Diego Costa muddying the waters not withstanding.

:lol: Don't think it matters, tbh. Eligible is eligible.

I'm not sure it does, mind Capello had obvious communication issues as his English was pretty poor.

Yeah I mean I get if the guy can't speak the language and makes no attempt to learn. That's one thing. But if a good manager from wherever stepped up and wanted to manage England, disqualifying him because he's not English is odd. I've forgotten that Klinsmann is German, tbh.

Not now. At very least there has to be a link to English football. An understanding of English players, the media and footballing culture.

Benitez and Ancelotti have both said they'd like the job at some point. There's no need to start looking at unproven appointments that would never be accepted anyway.

It would just inflame an ailing connection between the national team and the media and fans. It would inevitably end badly setting the team back further and risk hurting the interest of potential appointments. Not to mention the fact there's a pool of good managers out there who'd want the job, far more proven and suitable than Klopp or any other German.

No it wouldn't.  As long as results and performance were good , this country would get behind anyone.

Except the Neanderthal East End type xenophobes who you do see at England games. The ones that wax lyrical about Bomber Harris and not surrendering to the IRA. And their opinion counts for nowt.

For similar reasons to why the nationality of the players do. Arseholes like Shola Ameobi and Diego Costa muddying the waters not withstanding.

:lol: Don't think it matters, tbh. Eligible is eligible.

Yeah I mean I get if the guy can't speak the language and makes no attempt to learn. That's one thing. But if a good manager from wherever stepped up and wanted to manage England, disqualifying him because he's not English is odd. I've forgotten that Klinsmann is German, tbh.

There's a difference between Klinsmann as US manager and Capello as England manager. Klinsmann was living in California for a long while before taking that job right? His family is being raised there. Capello took the job for the money, with no real attachment to the English game, no intention of learning the language and every intention of leaving when his contract was done. Klinsmann speaks flawless English and has some attachment to football in America. If a long time resident like Wenger wanted to manage England, I'd have no problem with that at all. Feels different when they take the job for a pay day.

No it wouldn't.  As long as results and performance were good , this country would get behind anyone.

Except the Neanderthal East End type xenophobes who you do see at England games. The ones that wax lyrical about Bomber Harris and not surrendering to the IRA. And their opinion counts for nowt.

The media would have the swords ready at every slip. They rightly wouldn't accept someone unproven in any case.

Spain, Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France - none of these countries would entertain the idea of a foreign coach, and none have had one for a very long time. I don't think England should be any different in that approach personally, given our resources and the strength of our domestic competition. Doing otherwise is a tacit acceptance that our coaching isn't good enough, not something I'd want to be doing ideally.