PROMOTIONOMETER

cp40
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

3. We'll be straight back up I reckon. The Championship wasn't as good as it was cracked up to be last time and it won't be any different this time round. The only reason I'm not a 2 or a 1 is that we are going to have two similar clubs going down with us so they'll be able to spend their way out as well.

Even if we do get promoted, with Ashley it will then just be back to the soul-destroying routine of trying not to get relegated again -- trying to do (and spend) the minimum necessary to stay in the Premier League and collecting the television money, getting maximum exposure for his Sports Direct advertising etc.  Short term, a season of winning games in the Championship might be a welcome change in some ways. Long-term, the misery never ends until Ashley decides he's had enough.

Even if we do get promoted, with Ashley it will then just be back to the soul-destroying routine of trying not to get relegated again -- trying to do (and spend) the minimum necessary to stay in the Premier League and collecting the television money, getting maximum exposure for his Sports Direct advertising etc.  Short term, a season of winning games in the Championship might be a welcome change in some ways. Long-term, the misery never ends until Ashley decides he's had enough.

That's true. If we'd stayed up with Rafa that was the only chance we would have tried to win anything under Ashley, but no doubt he'll revert to type once Rafa buggers off once we get relegated.

I do still wonder about the strength of a league whose leading team plays Joey Barton every week. He'd get absolutely eaten alive in the Premier League now.

Yep.

If we keep a decent core, we'll be straight back up imo.

Despite everything we should be nailed on for automatic promotion but I actually suspect we'd end up in the play-offs. And considering Wembley is like Kryptonite to NUFC I can't see that ending well.

Sunderland will be the favourites, if only because of the manager. Keeping hold of Defoe will be crucial too cos you'd think he'd rip that league to shreds.

Think Townsend will be one of the best players down there too, by the by. Could easily be new signing syndrome but he seems like a fairly good egg. Think he'll probably stay.

I'm sure that at the end of 08/09 we weren't lauding Kevin Nolan or Joey Barton's leadership skills, in fact they were all firmly in the spineless catergory with the rest of them.  Until we get there we haven't got a clue what it will be like, who will react well or won't.

Literally anything could happen, we never thought it would be as easy as it turned out to be.  Total unknown

I'm sure that at the end of 08/09 we weren't lauding Kevin Nolan or Joey Barton's leadership skills, in fact they were all firmly in the spineless catergory with the rest of them.  Until we get there we haven't got a clue what it will be like, who will react well or won't.

Literally anything could happen, we never thought it would be as easy as it turned out to be.  Total unknown

I feel like Shelvey could be our Nolan if we we're to go down.

Except Nolan had a track record of getting a very respectable amount of goals (which is why he was extremely useful in the Championship) and Shelvey doesn't.

He scored no goals in his last season in the premierleague before going down, and scored less than 10 in his last three seasons (before going down) combined.

It very much depends on the attitude of the players we keep and how we plug the gaps. The last time we walked it but the club was in turmoil pre-season. The mullering at Orient was a turning point and we got off to a good start.

As soon as relegation is confirmed we need to get the manager situation resolved and find out which players don't fancy it and plan for their replacement. No doubt we'll dither and end up under prepared. Without doubt the manager position needs sorting as soon as the season ends.

That really has nothing at all to do with what I've just said, though, has it? Nolan scored something like 19 goals in our promotion season. Shelvey won't get a fraction of that.

:ronaldo:

That's true. If we'd stayed up with Rafa that was the only chance we would have tried to win anything under Ashley, but no doubt he'll revert to type once Rafa buggers off once we get relegated.

This is the fear for me, if we don't stay up (:lol:) and if we don't keep Rafa if we do go down (:lol: :lol:) then I can imagine Ashley feeling burned by the situation and taking the relegation as "evidence" a quality manager changes nothing.

We don't even have a decent core now, unfortunately.

still think the likes of townsend, mitrovic etc will p*ss it down there

I'm not sure Townsend will stay tbh.

think Townsend is one of the ones who most certainly will tbh, but I guess we'll soon see.

We don't even have a decent core now, unfortunately.

still think the likes of townsend, mitrovic etc will piss it down there

I'm not sure Townsend will stay tbh.

Assuming he has no relegation clause, I can't see many people willing to stump, say 10m, to get him off us.

Not many will want him, even fewer will be willing to pay for him and there's no certainty that he would be desperate to leave. A few weeks ago he was playing with the young uns remember.