Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

We really need to sort out Krul's distribution though. Is it tactically or just him doing it of his own accord? Whatever it is it is our biggest reason now for lack of ball retention.

If you watch now most of our defenders try and pass it out yet as soon as it goes back to Krul he just hits it long. Same for goal kicks too.

Yet whenever I've saw him play for Holland he tends to be a lot more composed and plays it out short a lot more.

Aye he put us under pressure with some of his distribution today.

He does in just about every game, and has done since he has been first-choice. Seriously annoying.

Doesn't normally pass straight to the nearest opposition striker though. Did it twice today.

Spurs put a lot of pressure at us and we had nothing to solve that. Always a problem for us.

Saying that. Krul has definitely not been as good as last season. Definitely though he would take the second goal.

We really need to sort out Krul's distribution though. Is it tactically or just him doing it of his own accord? Whatever it is it is our biggest reason now for lack of ball retention.

If you watch now most of our defenders try and pass it out yet as soon as it goes back to Krul he just hits it long. Same for goal kicks too.

Yet whenever I've saw him play for Holland he tends to be a lot more composed and plays it out short a lot more.

He does in just about every game, and has done since he has been first-choice. Seriously annoying.

Why can't we actually have a keeper who is good at distributing the ball? I'm sure when he first came into the team it was much better than it was. It's scary how the same thing has happened to Given, Harper and Krul when it comes to this.

Although I think part of it is due to Pardew telling him to do so. I mean we can all remember how long Harper used to take when it came to goal-kicks etc, yet when Keegan came in you noticed a difference immediately as he was telling him to pass it out/throw it out from the back as soon as he got the ball and to keep it on the deck.

If he can sort out his kicking he'll no doubt be the greatest keeper I've witnessed in my time supporting us. As he's already better at commanding his box than Given. He's also much better when it comes to saving in a 1 vs 1 too.

Howay Timmy. You can do it. :thup:

His kicking has been a pet peeve of mine for a while now but it's getting ridiculous. I'm not asking for tiki-taka football, just pass it locally and attempt to keep the thing. Right now it's just aimless hoofing that, when it stays in play, is gifted to the opposition. Was a nice game of 'Hoof to Gouff' until the injury.

Why can't we actually have a keeper who is good at distributing the ball? I'm sure when he first came into the team it was much better than it was. It's scary how the same thing has happened to Given, Harper and Krul when it comes to this.

Although I think part of it is due to Pardew telling him to do so. I mean we can all remember how long Harper used to take when it came to goal-kicks etc, yet when Keegan came in you noticed a difference immediately as he was telling him to pass it out/throw it out from the back as soon as he got the ball and to keep it on the deck.

If he can sort out his kicking he'll no doubt be the greatest keeper I've witnessed in my time supporting us. As he's already better at commanding his box than Given. He's also much better when it comes to saving in a 1 vs 1 too.

Howay Timmy. You can do it. :thup:

That's a bold statement, but I won't disagree with it. His instincts are about on a par with Given, which was probably Shay's biggest attribute. Good instincts and speed makes for a tremendous shot-stopper, which is what/(all) Krul is at the moment imo. Commanding of the box; not too sure. I never sit low enough in the Gallowgate to make a fair assessment of that really; but I wouldn't say our defense is ever supremely organised.

He's got the raw abilities to be as good as any keeper in Europe; but personally I still think he's got lightyears to go and - largely down to his distribution - he frustrates me on an almost weekly basis. That's the only reason why I'm quick to be negative/cynical when it comes to him. ;)

Guest Howaythetoon

Could do with going back to kicking school. Awful distribution. Good shot stopper but average all-round game for a 'keeper like. He has regressed this season it has to be said.

Thought he could have done better with both goals today, the 2nd in particular. There was only one place Bale could have put the ball it seemed and yet it still went in. Kicking was a problem and that moment when he misjudged the cross was poor. Slightly redeemed himself with a couple of saves but shaky performance all round.

I think as a whole team we should train to play it out better. We had nothing when Spurs put that pressure on us. Every time Krul hit it long you just know that we are going to lose the ball, depressing.

No pressure on his place at all though, must be s*** in training having no one that's anywhere near you in ability to compete with.

To be fair to Elliot, apart from his first game where he was shaky I think he's shown that he is a decent keeper. Harper's contract ends this season. I assume we'll be getting another keeper to replace Harper unless one of the young keepers becomes 3rd choice.

Their forwards were pretty much marking Colo and Saylor out of being passed to for a lot of the game, don't know why debuchy and santon didn't drop back to receive it more but Pardew really likes putting pressure on teams by hoofing the ball up, which can work when we're pressing well high up pitch and trying to compress game but seems odd to play it away from home when we're on the counter mainly, not pressing much in final third and defence operating deep.

Not one of his best games but there was that bit where there were 3 corners for them in a row, on the third I was getting very nervous as a mistake will creep. He calmly ran out into a crowded box and collected the ball. He's brilliant at that, albeit cocked it up later in the game so :/

No pressure on his place at all though, must be s*** in training having no one that's anywhere near you in ability to compete with.

i'd guess his competition comes more from players shoting at him than with other keepers. i'm not too sure this competition for places is all it's cracked up to be.

i'd guess his competition comes more from players shoting at him than with other keepers. i'm not too sure this competition for places is all it's cracked up to be.

It has to, people respond to pressure and there is none on him at the minute. Not that I'm criticising him I think he's superb, just that he would benefit from some competition.

I agree with madras like, although I suppose all players are different. The greatest goalkeeper ever in this league (arguably ever full stop), Schmeichel, never had the slightest competition for his place.

Aye fair point you have me there.

I agree with madras like, although I suppose all players are different. The greatest goalkeeper ever in this league (arguably ever full stop), Schmeichel, never had the slightest competition for his place.

Come on now. Raimond Van Der Gouw was a fantastic keeper... :lol:

• 2 weeks later...