Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Love him but still nowhere near as good as Given at his best.

Shot stopping and kicking isn't as good BUT Given did not command his area like Krul does, admittedly he still has the odd moment BUT for a young keeper that is no major concern

Given had abysmal kicking. In fact, so does Harper.

I think we would be jumping the gun a bit to say Krul is better than Given.  He has the potential to go on and be better than him. There are so many games that Given saved for us, its just a shame how that one ended. Had he stayed I don't think we would have been relegated.

Better than Shay tbh. In terms of talent anyway. Shay couldn't kick in his prime, his height stopped him from being a decent penalty-saver but he was reasonably at commanding his area aerially. Where he really excelled was his shot-stopping. He must saved us so many points with his ability.

Wouldn't like to call between their shot-stopping ability, but again, I think krul's frame might give him the edge. He's still really young too. I'd go with Timmmmmy.

How many pelanties did Shay ever save... he never got remotely near the dozens I saw against him. We over-estimate how good a shot stopper he was.. he had 2 or 3 times as many to make 'cos the defense was cr*p for years.

Ravanelli 01/02

Nolan 08/09

Only ones I can remember

Krul is the best we've had, I'm pleased to say. Never rated Given as highly as some admittedly, but at his best he was a pocket rocket - great reaction saves, flying along intercepting 30 yarders and the like. But Krul offers those - still love thinking back to that Palermo header, it was one of the most in non-goals I've ever seen - and more, not least as I think he's a better character. Given was a bit of an old woman.

Shay is the best I've seen but Krul has the potential to be better and I think/hope he will be.

Agree entirely. Krul's still got a long way to go. He's unconvincing from crosses and his decision making can be a bit mental at times, and obviously his kicking is gash. But he's certainly up there with the best shot-stoppers i've seen for the club. His positioning when the opposition have the ball is generally excellent, too.

Hope he gets the number 1 shirt next year; i'm sure he will do.

Guest Roger Kint

major improvement for me has been his decision making, when to come and when to stay.

had a major, unnecessary rush of blood yesterday, which easily could have cost us a goal. (but yeah, i agree)

Had two, both times Modeste wasted the chance. His kicking was erratic again too.

Tim Krul: Newcastle United's position isn’t a fluke

by Mark Douglas, The JournalFeb 3 2012Comment (1)

TIM Krul insists buoyant Newcastle United now “believe” that they belong in the top five of the Premier League.

United’s gutsy defeat of Blackburn Rovers lifted them into the rarefied air of fifth in the table, above both Arsenal and Liverpool – two sides who began the season with ambitions of challenging for the title.

It was an against-the-odds victory that showcased all of the qualities that have propelled Alan Pardew’s side into European contention this season, a remarkable achievement considering some pundits tipped Newcastle for relegation after a summer of upheaval.

Krul acknowledges that many may not fancy high-flying United to end the season where they are now, but he says there are no longer any doubters within the dressing room.

“We are 23 games in and we’re fifth. That is no fluke, we deserve that position and that gives us the belief that we can really achieve something this season,” he said.

“Of course we believe in ourselves now. We deserve to be there and it is up to us now. We’ve had a disappointing couple of games and we know what was being said outside the club, but we always believe in each other.

“That is the most important thing for this season. We know what our targets are and believe me, we’re far above them. We’re flying, to be honest – our confidence is sky-high and we’re more than ready for Sunday’s game.”

Resilience has been a key factor for Newcastle this season – with Pardew particularly pleased at the way they have reacted to a slew of injury setbacks.

Yohan Cabaye’s unjust suspension once again brought out the best in United, with the France schemer’s replacement, Ryan Taylor, notching a deflected goal to get the Blackburn game off to a flier and fringe man James Perch stepping in to great effect at half-time.

Krul says United don’t fear anyone – or anything – after the season they’ve had.

He said: “We’ve seen everything at this club over the last few years and we’ve had lots thrown at us already this season. But everyone believes in each other, everyone works for each other and that’s the most important thing.

“It’s 11 people on the pitch who really just want to work hard for each other, they want to win for each other and they are desperate to do well.

“The major plus over the last few weeks has just been the attitude of the boys. We said before the Blackburn game that if

our attitude is right then we can beat anyone in the league and we firmly believe that,” he said.

“We fought for each other – there were tackles, blocks, a clearance off the line again. I think Wednesday was a proper Premier League game.”

Newcastle will be bolstered on Sunday by the return of Papiss Demba Cissé and Demba Ba following their involvement with Senegal in the Africa Cup of Nations.

The latter is likely to be back in the starting XI for the visit of Aston Villa, while Cissé, a £9million signing from Freiburg, should make the bench as he continues to make his acquaintances with new team-mates.

Although United were limited to just one addition in the January transfer window, there was satisfaction that their tight-knit group was not disrupted by any sales of top stars.

Krul is among those who are attracting attention with Tottenham, Manchester United and Arsenal running the rule over the Holland goalkeeper. But he was always adamant that he wanted to be part of a club moving in the right direction and he felt others shared his point of view.

“There is definitely relief that the transfer window has passed,” he said.

“It is fantastic that we have been able to keep the squad together and, on top of that, we now have a top class striker added too. That’s the way we will progress as a football club.”

Villa skipper Stiliyan Petrov believes former Sunderland striker Darren Bent is back to his best ahead of their trip to St James’ Park, after he scored his 100th Premier League goal in Wednesday night’s 2-2 home draw with QPR.

Club record signing Bent became the 22nd player to reach the three-figure milestone as he sparked a Villa fightback from 2-0 down with a typically clinical close-range finish. Bent struggled to make an impact earlier in the campaign and was not helped by a lack of creativity in the Villa side.

But the England player has now been on target for the past four games to reach double figures for the season and in total has netted 19 times in 38 appearances for Villa.

Petrov said: “Darren is our main striker and, although he recently went through a spell when he wasn’t scoring, there’s no doubt we are once again seeing the Darren Bent we know best.

“To get to 100 Premier League goals is a great achievement.

“It is a remarkable personal milestone which not many players can claim to have done and he can be proud of that. Not that he will stop at a century, of course.

“Darren is perfectly capable of scoring many more and that can only be good news for Villa.”

Bent is showing signs of forming an effective partnership with on-loan Los Angeles Galaxy striker Robbie Keane, alongside whom he played at Tottenham.

Read More http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2012/02/03/tim-krul-newcastle-united-s-position-isn-t-a-fluke-61634-30257036/#ixzz1lJB4V4KI