Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

He took a step to his right before the Baines free kick, if he'd not done that he'd have saved it imo. It was spectacularly hit, but Krul's balance was off.

Left you mean? Well yes, 90% of the time a left footer will try to curl that into the corner he moved towards, so it's understandable if unfortunate. Great hit, no complaints (apart from the free kick being given in the first place of course).

The free kick was from far away so there was no need for the step as he would've caught the standard curler from left footer 95% of the time. If he didn't take the step the free kick would've hit him straight to the chest. Great strike but totally saveable.

Yep. Could've done better, but there you go.

Bit like saying when a penalty is kicked through the middle and the goalkeeper picks a side he should have stayed in the middle.

Except a penalty is taken from 12 yards out and a keeper usually has no option but to guess. :lol:

Silly post, man. Sorry.

Yep. Could've done better, but there you go.

Bit like saying when a penalty is kicked through the middle and the goalkeeper picks a side he should have stayed in the middle.

Except a penalty is taken from 12 yards out and a keeper usually has no option but to guess. :lol:

Silly post, man. Sorry.

As others have said, a wall is probably more of a hindrance to the goalkeeper than to the free kick taker from that distance. He anticipated it would be to his left, as that's where it would go 9 times out of 10. It didn't, and since it was a fucking thunderblast he couldn't react quickly enough. I think most goalkeepers would have done the same as Krul did, but yeah, feel free to have a go at the man who kept us in the match in the first place.

It's understandable that he shaped to dive left when he'd only just clawed an effort from a very similar position round his left hand post by his fingertips ten minutes earlier.

Difficult for a goalkeeper when a player can take such wildly different free kicks with no loss in effectiveness. Staggering left foot on the bloke.

Krul had no chance with that free kick.  It swerved away from him, no keeper would have got to that from his starting position and his starting position looked about right to cover as much of his goal as possible.

I thought it was an odd decision by Krul to take that step to his left before the ball was hit as you can tell what Baines is going to do from his body position during his run up.  There was no way he got have approached the ball in that fashion and then curled one over the wall to Krul's left.  I think that was an error from Krul to be honest.

I don't know if it's been talked about, but does the free kick come off Obertan? I've watched the replay from behind Baines a few times now and I'm starting to think it takes quite a deflection off Obertan. As soon as it reaches him it doesn't look like a swerve as such to me. Maybe I'm seeing things.

I thought it was an odd decision by Krul to take that step to his left before the ball was hit as you can tell what Baines is going to do from his body position during his run up.  There was no way he got have approached the ball in that fashion and then curled one over the wall to Krul's left.  I think that was an error from Krul to be honest.

Seemed to think Obertan would block it? That's the only way I could explain the step to the left.

Krul really can't be blamed for that goal. With most goals someone could have done something different but it doesn't mean they fucked up, just they had a few options and chose the wrong one.

Obviously the Baines goal was talked about quite a lot today at work, can't say anyone said 'That Krul, really shouldn't have taken a step to the side' and if I suggested it I would have rightly been laughed at.

Teams/players sometimes just score very good goals. I also think their second was more down to quick thinking, quick movement and one touch passing that tore us apart than us just being shit which we have been for quite a few goals recently.

His skills rushing out/1v1 is extreme. I think it is his positioning and bravery that does it, it is like he has a f***ing magnet attached to him.

Have some work to do, with kicking especially, but i believe he will become a great keeper for us (not that he is not good enough already).

Does Krul save that free kick without a wall?

Possibly actually, but was a hell of a kick, don't think he was at fault tbh

No - not knocking him, was thinking more of the principal for future consideration.

Surely there has to be an argument to say that Baines (or anyone else for that matter) couldn't beat a keeper from 35-40 yards without the wall partially blocking his view.

I'm arguing with myself here really as I guess the sheer volume of bodies in the box means a likely deflection would probably increase the possibility of ball movement/deflections and/or increase the number of second balls being knicked by poachers closer to the goal as opposed to boucning off the wall closer to the edge of the box.

Hmmm.

Conclusion. Fuck knaas.

There will always be people in the way even if they aren't in a wall.

But does he have better sight of the 'in-ball' and more chance to react/use his reflexes than if the ball is launched in blind?

As I say, I'm arguing with myself a bit here but it's an interesting thought.

• 2 weeks later...