Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

All these injuries aren't good news. It just gives Pardew some ready made excuses that the media and our thick fans will eat right up.

It might also show that Pardew is a poor judge of a player seeing as he was behind this signing.  And also that Elliott is not good enough to be first choice should Krul leave.

All these injuries aren't good news. It just gives Pardew some ready made excuses that the media and our thick fans will eat right up.

Excuses won't matter if we are rock bottom and adrift of the pack.

Fans will just stick their fingers in their ears and shout 'Ashley is the problem. What can any manager be expected to do with this team?' over and over.

Excuses won't matter if we are rock bottom and adrift of the pack.

Fans will just stick their fingers in their ears and shout 'Ashley is the problem. What can any manager be expected to do with this team?' over and over.

I'll raise you a "who would we get stuck with though"

This a giggsy?

Newcastle United have received the results of goalkeeper Tim Krul's scan on Monday.

"It showed ligament damage to his left elbow and Krul will be assessed further by the Magpies' medical staff ahead of Saturday's Barclays Premier League fixture against Leicester City."

An elbow injury acquired in similar circumstances forced Krul's withdrawal from the Dutch squad in September 2012 and saw him miss the following seven first team games (four of which were in the Premier League).

An ankle problem saw Krul miss a further nine games later that same season, returning only to be sidelined again for the closing five games after dislocating his shoulder.

And his most recent absence from the team in the latter half of last season was due to a knee injury.

Playing with ligament damage? ??? How is he going to land on his elbows when catching the ball?

You'd assume it's a win-win for Pardew if there's any truth in this. Get Krul on painkillers for a must win game, if he plays the 90 minutes it'll drastically increase our chances of not losing, if he comes off injured then for the majority in the ground that'll be a good enough excuse (or grounds to plead for sympathy) for a defeat. "All Ashley's fault, why didn't he sign a top backup keeper, not Alan's fault he had no choice to pay Krul" is what we'll hear if the injury is aggravated.

One of my great allies had gone by this stage: physiotherapist John Green. John was certainly not a ‘yes man’ and I know that he didn’t get on with Alan Pardew. From my understanding of the situation, Pards would ask John for his medical opinion on a player and if he didn’t get the answer he was looking for he’d often discount what John had said. John would insist, ‘I’m the professional here and I’m telling you that he shouldn’t play.’ He’d be at loggerheads with the manager for much of the time. When it came down to it, John was too strong a character for Pardew and I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by his eventual departure. Somebody at the club leaked an email to John that confirmed his days at West Ham were numbered, with Pardew saying he wanted him out come what may. I think that helped John when it came to negotiating his settlement. It seemed a strange thing to happen because John was one of the most respected and qualified physios in the game.

Worth remembering when this kind of thing happens, plus De Jong and Cisse recently.

Krul playing through the pain barrier to keep this cnut in the job. Perfect excuse for Pardew, probably blame it before the game starts when he tells us how hard the game will be and tough Leicester are. Can't wait!

One of my great allies had gone by this stage: physiotherapist John Green. John was certainly not a ‘yes man’ and I know that he didn’t get on with Alan Pardew. From my understanding of the situation, Pards would ask John for his medical opinion on a player and if he didn’t get the answer he was looking for he’d often discount what John had said. John would insist, ‘I’m the professional here and I’m telling you that he shouldn’t play.’ He’d be at loggerheads with the manager for much of the time. When it came down to it, John was too strong a character for Pardew and I suppose I shouldn’t have been surprised by his eventual departure. Somebody at the club leaked an email to John that confirmed his days at West Ham were numbered, with Pardew saying he wanted him out come what may. I think that helped John when it came to negotiating his settlement. It seemed a strange thing to happen because John was one of the most respected and qualified physios in the game.

Worth remembering when this kind of thing happens, plus De Jong and Cisse recently.

Pardew not letting Science get in the way of his gut feelings and waving notebook.

• 3 weeks later...