Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

It wouldn't be that unfair to drop Harper.  He was s**** against Sheff Wed and isn't exactly Lev Yashin.

Apart from the Sheff Wed game, he's been constantly reliable and good all season, plenty of times keeping us in the game or saving us valuable points. It would be unfair to drop him.

Guest Phil K

So Harper has had a couple of bad games in twenty odd therefore should be dropped?  :facepalm: :lol:

We're probably at our most comfortable we have been for years where keepers are concerned

We don't worry much when Harper's out and Krul's in.

I actually cannot believe this thread. We're top of the league because of lack of goals conceded and people want us to change goakeepers or put Krul 'in at home'.

I have absolutely no words.

Well actually you have thirty.

Agree with what your saying though, we do not need to drop Harper ffs and playing him away and Krul at home is a ludicrous suggestion.

I actually cannot believe this thread. We're top of the league because of lack of goals conceded and people want us to change goakeepers or put Krul 'in at home'.

I have absolutely no words.

Agree with Ronaldo for once.... also ppl whoi says he needs to play at this age ... are very funny he is GK for god sake they tend to play until they hit 40...

Krul is showing so much promise for a 21 year old, keepers start to enter peak age (well, the age when they should be regularly playing) at about 25 onwards, so by then he will be number 1 choice, and by the time he enters his proper peak, around 30 or so, he will be well experienced and should be even better.

By the way, eveeryone agrees his strength is shot stopping...this is one of the qualities that cant be taught...decision making however can be taught and learnt, rather have it the way round he has it like...

• 2 weeks later...

Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul insists he is not going to play second fiddle to current No.1 Steve Harper for too long.

The Dutch shot-stopper has been warming the bench at St James' Park so far this season but is set to play against West Brom in the FA Cup this weekend.

Harper has only been handed a regular run in the Magpies' first team since the departure of Shay Given to Manchester City in February last year.

Krul is keen to not let the same happen to him, but claims he has a good relationship with his team-mate.

"We respect each other," he said in the Daily Express. "Steve is doing really well this season and we are top of the league, but I'm picking up my games and I'm glad I've played in the Carling Cup and the FA Cup.

"The key thing is I feel I'm getting better all the time and that keeps me feeling all right.

"Harps is always helping me. It's not like we're not speaking to each other or hoping that the other one goes away.

"I have a year-and-a-half left on my contract and I will continue to learn from Steve.

"But I have no intention of being No.2 for as long as he was under Shay Given because I'm 21 now.

"I'm still on the road I want to be on and I'm still on course and that's the most important thing.

"I came to England when I was 17 and I set myself a goal. I'm now No.2 at a massive club. Where does that road lead? Far, very far, but I will take it step by step

Newcastle goalkeeper Tim Krul insists he is not going to play second fiddle to current No.1 Steve Harper for too long.

The Dutch shot-stopper has been warming the bench at St James' Park so far this season but is set to play against West Brom in the FA Cup this weekend.

Harper has only been handed a regular run in the Magpies' first team since the departure of Shay Given to Manchester City in February last year.

Krul is keen to not let the same happen to him, but claims he has a good relationship with his team-mate.

"We respect each other," he said in the Daily Express. "Steve is doing really well this season and we are top of the league, but I'm picking up my games and I'm glad I've played in the Carling Cup and the FA Cup.

"The key thing is I feel I'm getting better all the time and that keeps me feeling all right.

"Harps is always helping me. It's not like we're not speaking to each other or hoping that the other one goes away.

"I have a year-and-a-half left on my contract and I will continue to learn from Steve.

"But I have no intention of being No.2 for as long as he was under Shay Given because I'm 21 now.

"I'm still on the road I want to be on and I'm still on course and that's the most important thing.

"I came to England when I was 17 and I set myself a goal. I'm now No.2 at a massive club. Where does that road lead? Far, very far, but I will take it step by step

Harper is 34 now so I doubt Krul needs to worry too much.

Considering how long he had to wait, I don't see Harper wanting to retire for several years yet.

The brutal reality is that for this club to progress, a current/future manager of this football club is going to have to finish him.

Considering how long he had to wait, I don't see Harper wanting to retire for several years yet.

The brutal reality is that for this club to progress, a current/future manager of this football club is going to have to finish him.

The brutal reality is that he's playing on merit and he's the least of our worries.

The brutal reality is that he's playing on merit and he's the least of our worries.

:facepalm:

I'm talking long term, not as of right now.