Tim Krul (now playing for Luton Town)

Wallace

The priority is promotion. Everything else comes second, including Tim Krul.

Harper's doing well. What sort of message does it send out to drop fully fit in-form player for an untried youngster? If Hughton drops him and we start shipping goals he'll be heavily criticised and rightly so.

You don't take chances when it comes to goalkeeping, that should be blatantly obvious. Especially when lack of goals conceded is the only thing keeping us at the top of the table.

The priority is promotion. Everything else comes second, including Tim Krul.

Harper's doing well. What sort of message does it send out to drop fully fit in-form player for an untried youngster? If Hughton drops him and we start shipping goals he'll be heavily criticised and rightly so.

These two people are right, obviously.

You don't take chances when it comes to goalkeeping, that should be blatantly obvious. Especially when lack of goals conceded is the only thing keeping us at the top of the table.

Occaisonally Ronaldo's posts frustrate me and I'm not sure why (apologies) but this is spot on, also the post earlier that said he needed a mentor to calm him down when comimg off his line is also a perfect assesment of Krul's ability.  He (Krul) is a very good prospect but not 1st team yet and if he goes to Juve, Bayern, Arsenal etc he'll be further away from the 1st team than he is here and now

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Tim Krul happy to stay at Newcastle

Jan 2 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

NEWCASTLE United goalkeeper Tim Krul says he is going nowhere in the January transfer window.

The Dutch under-21 stopper is courting interest from Serie A giants Juventus, and has been a target for Chelsea in the last two seasons.

However, Krul – who has made three appearances for the Magpies this season as understudy to Steve Harper – sees his future on Tyneside.

Krul, who last appeared in the 3-0 win over Swansea City, told the Chronicle: “I am committed to Newcastle United.

“For me, Newcastle is still one of the best clubs in England.

“I couldn’t do anything better than to play in front of 40,000-plus people every week.

“I just enjoy it massively when I come on, and I just hope I can play more.

“Steve Harper and me keep each other sharp, and we’ll see what happens.”

Krul is slowly but surely building up his experience as a Toon star and had to wait for three years to build on his sensational debut bow when he starred in the UEFA Cup under Glenn Roeder in Palermo, keeping a clean sheet in a famous 1-0 win.

Krul’s season started in style this term, though, when he kept out everything promotion-chasers West Bromwich Albion had to throw at him at the Hawthorns.

End he also appeared in the Carling Cup defeat at Peterborough United, being awarded man of the match at London Road.

The Hague-born youngster believes his progress has been down to previous loan stints at Scottish Premier League outfit Falkirk and League One Carlisle United.

He said: “It was really useful, especially when I went to Falkirk.

“I was only 18 and it was really good, and it’s paying off now.

“You don’t get really nervous anymore – you just enjoy it.”

Harper has been in superb form this season, with some football observers feeling he is worthy of an England call-up.

But just like Harper did when understudy to the departed keeper Shay Given, Krul hopes to impress when he gets the chance.

He said: “I’m here to take everything I can, and, hopefully, I can get some minutes.

“I think it’ll be a long season.

“We’ll need everybody – the whole team – because there’s 46 league games, and we’ll see what happens.”

Krul will enter the final year of his current contract at the end of the season with United.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/02/tim-krul-happy-to-stay-at-newcastle-72703-25509282/

Harper's lack of authority in claiming crosses is starting to cost us goals, and his failure to distribute the ball quickly to his full backs means we end up playing long ball football, although that might be down to the coaches rather than himself. A keeper who commands his area makes the defenders look much better as well, so I hope Krul progresses sooner rather than later. I think a few games would do him the world of good.

Krul is a headless chicken at times with balls into the box, its his big weakness imo.

He just gets over excited, he WILL be a top top keeper and unless we are in Europe within the next few seasons we will lose him.

Krul is a headless chicken at times with balls into the box, its his big weakness imo.

I am pretty happy he wants to come for everything, it shows he's brave and wants to dominate the forwards like Schmeichel did in his heyday. Much better than hiding behind the defenders and pulling off flashy shot stoppers on the line. Krul will get better, although he needs more experience.

Guest Phil K

He just gets over excited, he WILL be a top top keeper and unless we are in Europe within the next few seasons we will lose him.

Agree. He has been remarkably loyal, all things considered.

He is only about 19 or something isn't he? :lol:

He is only about 19 or something isn't he? :lol:

21, but aye.

The loyalty and persistence of all goalkeepers in general is very impressive. Some dont get games all season and yet dont complain, waiting for their oppurtunity. Its a difficult dilemma for a club as you have to try and make several players who are all competing for one spot in the team happy and want to stay at the club. Take Steve Harper for example, he lived in the shadow of Given for years and still had the patience to stick around and wait for his oppurtunity, even though its here in the CCC.

I hope Tim keeps his patience because i can see him developing into a class keeper from what i have witnessed.

The day I almost quit Newcastle United - Krul

Jan 6 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

TIM KRUL has reflected on the day he was ready to quit Newcastle United.

The Dutch youngster thought he was on his way to Dutch giants Feyenoord and had already purchased a one-way ticket back to his native Holland.

However, former transfer chief Dennis Wise pulled the plug on the deal at the last minute – to leave Krul baffled by the situation.

He said today: “It was an incredibly weird situation.

“The first thing I did on my return from holidays was ask the coaching staff for an explanation.

“Goalkeeping coach Paul Barron proved to be a great help. He told me to take a few days off and let things sink in.

“That is what I did, and then I felt I had no other option but to carry on.

“My father took the decision to start to co-operate with an English agent to prevent such a thing happening again.

“The family are all involved. My father attends all the meetings I have at the club, while my grandfather operates as the webmaster of my site.

“We will never be caught by surprise again.”

Krul instead had to be content with a loan stint at League One Carlisle United before Shay Given’s departure 12 months ago left him as No 2 to the more experienced Steve Harper.

He added: “I was told at the end of the pre-season campaign Stevie would be the regular goalkeeper, but I feel I am making progress every day.

“I approach every game in the same way – I must be ready tso show my skills when opportunity knocks.”

Krul signed for United in 2005 under Graeme Souness and admits he always had a get-out clause if his standards were not good enough for the Magpies.

He has now turned into one of the club’s best youngsters of recent years and has already been touted as a Dutch No 1 in future years.

He said: “Newcastle United drew up a plan for me which looked very promising indeed.

“I was to gain experience in the highest junior ream and with the reserves first before I would be called up to the first-team squad.

“If I failed to meet expectations, I could always return to Holland.

“I am glad I have taken that decision, even though I find first-team appearances limited.

“I have grown up as a human being and have become mature in no time.

“I spent the first six months with an English guest family before I started to live on my own.

“Some Dutch boys invite their family to come with them to England, but I have not done so.

“My parents would visit me every two weeks at the beginning, but it is nice to stand on my own feet now and lead my own life.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/01/06/the-day-i-almost-quit-newcastle-united-krul-72703-25537642/

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Yet to concede a single goal for us in European, League, or FA Cup football. ;)

Having played one game each for Europe, League and FA Cup.

League Cup- 2 Games and 5 goals conceded

Not putting him down, 'cos he's an excellent, excellent prospect who could easily be a top Premiership quality goal keeper, but he's still got a lot to improve and won't be ready for the Number One jersey for at least three years. Distribution and aerial ability the key factors.

Personally i think the kid needs to leave for his own good, he's reaching the age where he has to be playing regularly to improve.

I've been thinking this too. It'd be very unfair on Harps to drop him for Krul, but its tempting and sending him out on loan would be pointless due to the fact he's our no.2. This season he's got to hope for either/and an injury to Harper or a good cup run.