Sir Bobby Robson (1933-2009)

Guest Stephen927

Happy Birthday, Bobby :)

I often wonder if his team was actually better than Keegan's, he just had much tougher competition (Wenger's Arsenal, Chelsea with Abramovich etc). Maybe that's just bias because I can only remember his team  :dontknow:

• 2 months later...

Didn't know there was a third statue of him.

http://portugalresident.com/sir-robby-robson-statue-unveiled

A life-size statue of Sir Bobby Robson sitting on a bench overlooking the 18th green at the Pestana Vila Sol Golf Course, Vilamoura was unveiled last week by Lady Elsie Robson and her family. The Sir Bobby Robson Celebrity Golf Classic has raised €842,000 for the Refúgio Aboim Ascensão children’s home in Faro since 2004.

Sir Bobby, who passed away seven years ago, loved Portugal, having won the Primeira Liga and Portugal Cup as manager of FC Porto. This is a lasting legacy to a great player and manager but, more importantly, a truly remarkable human being.

• 2 months later...

Happy Birthday, Bobby :)

I often wonder if his team was actually better than Keegan's, he just had much tougher competition (Wenger's Arsenal, Chelsea with Abramovich etc). Maybe that's just bias because I can only remember his team  :dontknow:

Quite a late reply after just seeing this but it absolutely wasn't.

Unfortunately I never got to see his team play, but I met him at the Aston Martin garage up near Beamish. I was only a really young bairn but I remember how nice of a man he was. So privileged to have met him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

It's a nice touch that they keep his 2 seats at SJP for either family members or for anyone from the foundation. If the seats aren't used, they get left empty as a sign of respect.