The other games today - 2009/10

Dave

That's a bit more like it

Did your lot boo today? :(

I hold no truck with booing, but after the terrible football and crap results we've watched for the last 6 months, you can't really blame them.

Hmm what a terrible life you villa fans have.

The fact that there are plenty of clubs worse off than us doesn't really come into it, tbh.

So you had a bad run in.

And a whole season of poor home form.

And still finished off in a pretty decent position.  Some fans just want it all.

Liverpool have been terrible in both games I've seen them so far (Spurs and Villa). Two man team if there ever was one, and Gerrard really isn't in form, leaving Torres as their only attacking option. Mind, Johnson has been playing really well from what I've seen.

I hold no truck with booing, but after the terrible football and crap results we've watched for the last 6 months, you can't really blame them.

The fact that there are plenty of clubs worse off than us doesn't really come into it, tbh.

So you had a bad run in.

And still finished off in a pretty decent position.   Some fans just want it all.

Eh, am I missing something here?  I think Newcastle fans get a bad rap in general but we we weren't happy when we finished 5th under Robson, mainly because it was clear to see that performances had been going downhill for at least 18 months.  Not a dissimilar situation if you ask me.

surprised that pen was given looked like self defence from Gerrard to me

:lol:

Liverpool already 6 points behind Chelsea. Bit early to say it's over for them but that's a hell of a gap to make up at this stage.

:celb:

:snod:

i was reading villatalk last night (to see what they thought of Beye more than anything) and the majority seemed to want o'neill out. tsk tsk.

regarding liverpool, benitez is a bit of a muppet, his side last season would've won the league were it not for man utd having a freak like Ronaldo. keep the nucleus of the side and add one or two players to give you an extra dimension out wide. instead he gets rid of one of last season's star performers. if they don't win this season, which has to be their best opportunity in a while, it'll be because of they sold Alonso and couldnt adequately replace him. while two losses looks very bad right now, they're by no means out of the running if they get their act together, Johnson looks like a good piece of business but they need more.

Villa are mad to want rid of O'Neil. I think he's been unlucky with players being unsettled and wanting to leave and that was a major factor in their recent shite form. He's doing a good job, look at what he's up against and he deserves time to build a squad.

So you had a bad run in.

And still finished off in a pretty decent position.   Some fans just want it all.

Eh, am I missing something here?  I think Newcastle fans get a bad rap in general but we we weren't happy when we finished 5th under Robson, mainly because it was clear to see that performances had been going downhill for at least 18 months.  Not a dissimilar situation if you ask me.

bit different, o'neill's not 70 years old for one thing. we knew robson had to be replaced either that summer or the next, O'neill could conceivably continue for another decade.

regarding liverpool, benitez is a bit of a muppet, his side last season would've won the league were it not for man utd having a freak like Ronaldo. keep the nucleus of the side and add one or two players to give you an extra dimension out wide. instead he gets rid of one of last season's star performers. if they don't win this season, which has to be their best opportunity in a while, it'll be because of they sold Alonso and couldnt adequately replace him. while two losses looks very bad right now, they're by no means out of the running if they get their act together, Johnson looks like a good piece of business but they need more.

They probably didn't even need to add wingers to win the Premiership this year, as all they needed was Torres to stay fit the whole season.

i was reading villatalk last night (to see what they thought of Beye more than anything) and the majority seemed to want o'neill out. tsk tsk.

Lucas is such a massive downgrade from Alonso it's ridiculous. He doesn't seem to fit tactically either, as he's way too similar to Mascherano, resulting in none of them helping out in attack leaving them to attack with only four men.

I'm assuming Iaquinta is supposed to fill the void left by Alonso? How long is he out for?

Lucas is such a massive downgrade from Alonso it's ridiculous. He doesn't seem to fit tactically either, as he's way too similar to Mascherano, resulting in none of them helping out in attack leaving them to attack with only four men.

I'm assuming Iaquinta is supposed to fill the void left by Alonso? How long is he out for?

Truth be said, as soon as Real came with the chequebook and Alonso wanted out, he wouldn't have been able to hold onto him.

But I consider getting a replacement that's not going to feature until October (with no time to gel with his teammates, in such an important position as the team's playmaker!) was quite stupid.

Your avatar and sig was obsessed with replacing older players with younger ones (ready or not) and we can debate the nuances of replacing Solano with Ambrose too early, but in principle he is right.  Liverpool peaked last year and they are becoming an older team.

The backbone of that team is Gerrard 29 (and peaked as I said in the Liverpool or Arsenal thread) and Carragher is 31. They have no replacements for them. The two players that did well today are some of thier youngest at 25 (Johnson and Torres). Even Kuyt is 29.

Truth be said, as soon as Real came with the chequebook and Alonso wanted out, he wouldn't have been able to hold onto him.

But I consider getting a replacement that's not going to feature until October (with no time to gel with his teammates, in such an important position as the team's playmaker!) was quite stupid.

Fuck me, he's out for that long? :lol: What a spa...erhm... stupid man Benitez is. So, they're pinning their hopes on Lucas or a new player, who is new to the league and will come in without a proper pre season to do one of the most important roles on the field? Brilliant :lol:

So you had a bad run in.

wrong. the problem wasn't that we finished 5th. the problem was that week in week out that season we could see that we were going backwards on the pitch. not necessarily in the results but the actual play itself.

They probably didn't even need to add wingers to win the Premiership this year, as all they needed was Torres to stay fit the whole season.

agreed, due to man utd being significantly weaker. though if ancelotti doesn't need time to adjust/doesn't do a scolari then chelsea will probaby be stronger than last season.

So you had a bad run in.

wrong. the problem wasn't that we finished 5th. the problem was that week in week out that season we could see that we were going backwards on the pitch. not necessarily in the results but the actual play itself.

Well that's what I was getting at mate.