Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

BBC: 'Some times you just have to find the right club' after they'd made him sound like some kind of journey man. He's been here nearly four years :lol:.

:lol: FFS.  He was at Liverpool before us and had a couple of loans.

I'm really glad he's playing as he is.  I did find it quite strange how last season was such a non-event for him, he'd been such a pivotal player in the promotion season and I wasn't with these people who said he wasn't a Premier League player.

It looked like the Premiership was too fast, strong and athletic for him. Whereas you do get more time and space in the Championship. Danny has excellent technical ability, especially for a British midfielder. And this season he's worked on his conditioning and has shown for more desire for the game.

Disagree, I think the Championship is played at a ridiculous tempo, it's kick and rush and a lot of in your face tackling.  He was just a cut above that league, playing in the best team by a mile. 

He's got himself fit, matured and just improved his game, totally agree on that.

BBC: 'Some times you just have to find the right club' after they'd made him sound like some kind of journey man. He's been here nearly four years :lol:.

I'm really glad he's playing as he is.  I did find it quite strange how last season was such a non-event for him, he'd been such a pivotal player in the promotion season and I wasn't with these people who said he wasn't a Premier League player.

It looked like the Premiership was too fast, strong and athletic for him. Whereas you do get more time and space in the Championship. Danny has excellent technical ability, especially for a British midfielder. And this season he's worked on his conditioning and has shown for more desire for the game.

Disagree, I think the Championship is played at a ridiculous tempo, it's kick and rush and a lot of in your face tackling. 

It's not like. It's slower physically, mentally and technically. It's nowhere near as quick as the top flight and you get far more time and space - anybody with an ounce of technique thrives down there. Look at how many goals/assists people like Taarabt and Wittingham plunder. You only have to be above average with the ball and you'll piss the division.

The amount of times we would gift possession away and not be punished was ridiculous too.

Disagree, I think the Championship is played at a ridiculous tempo, it's kick and rush and a lot of in your face tackling. 

It's not like. It's slower physically, mentally and technically. It's nowhere near as quick as the top flight and you get far more time and space - anybody with an ounce of technique thrives down there. Look at how many goals/assists people like Taarabt and Wittingham plunder. You only have to be above average with the ball and you'll p*ss the division.

The amount of times we would gift possession away and not be punished was ridiculous too.

Fair points.  Perhaps it is the constant mistakes and rushed playing style of most players in that league that make it seem like the game is going at a million miles an hour.  I don't watch it that much nowadays TBF.

Still guilty of gifting possesion away too often now.  Blackburn and Villa nearly gave me a coronary  :lol:

Needs new contract ASAP. Would be amazing to have 3 competent CM's and not needing to be shit scared of one injury/suspension in CM position. IMO he's one of the biggest surprises in the whole league this year and now would be great time to tie a new contract as he has been playing regularly for a long time.

Without a doubt, our most improved player of the season. Had a poor 10/11 but great credit to him, he's taken his chances when selected this season.

Aye it's a complete myth that surrounds the championship as a tough league. The name itself gives you a clue to how hard they try to maintain that notion. Guthrie on the other hand is your typical, hard working, professional premier league player. Get him on board the CL gravy train!

I've just watched the Villa game for the first time since Sunday and I didn't realise how well he'd played or how much he controlled most of our good play.  I hope he can do the same against Spurs because that would go a massive way to us getting something unexpected.

It's not like. It's slower physically, mentally and technically. It's nowhere near as quick as the top flight and you get far more time and space - anybody with an ounce of technique thrives down there. Look at how many goals/assists people like Taarabt and Wittingham plunder. You only have to be above average with the ball and you'll p*ss the division.

Fair points.  Perhaps it is the constant mistakes and rushed playing style of most players in that league that make it seem like the game is going at a million miles an hour.  I don't watch it that much nowadays TBF.

Still guilty of gifting possesion away too often now.  Blackburn and Villa nearly gave me a coronary  :lol:

Jonas looked like Messi in that division. Just so piss easy for him to keep the ball.

I've just watched the Villa game for the first time since Sunday and I didn't realise how well he'd played or how much he controlled most of our good play.  I hope he can do the same against Spurs because that would go a massive way to us getting something unexpected.

This. I watched the game again on Monday and while I thought he played well at the time he played much better than I thought. Really outstanding performance.

I would like to see Guthrie and Tiote together, but at the same time we all know the Cabaye/Tiote partnership has gelled really well.

Pardew has a dilemma on his hands when Tiote & Cabaye return as Guthrie has been MOM or close to in quite a few of our games recently!

Plus its Cabayes first season in the prem so he may be a bit taken by how physical its been so far. 

It's certainly been that way recently (reaction to Derry's shite tackle; Brighton's physicality) but in time, Cabaye will adapt/be fine with the physical side of the PL. But in general (for his first season in the PL anyway), think he's handled it quite well actually.

This. I watched the game again on Monday and while I thought he played well at the time he played much better than I thought. Really outstanding performance.

I'm not dismissing his performance at all, he did very well, but, and this is an unpopular view point, Perch played a big role in that, since he has no ability whatsover going forward, he just sat in there and played the destroyer role, freeing Guthrie up to do what he does best which is to supply a little creativity.

Still backing up Tiote and Cabaye though despite his fine form, those two are by a mile our top pairing in the middle.

I'm not dismissing his performance at all, he did very well, but, and this is an unpopular view point, Perch played a big role in that, since he has no ability whatsover going forward, he just sat in there and played the destroyer role, freeing Guthrie up to do what he does best which is to supply a little creativity.

Still backing up Tiote and Cabaye though despite his fine form, those two are by a mile our top pairing in the middle.

Looked a decent player when we bought him and has now performed consistently well over 12 games this season.

He was outstanding on Sunday and Perch was an excellent foil for him as you rightly say. Biggest compliment they can be paid is that we did not miss Cabaye and Tiote.

Looked a decent player when we bought him and has now performed consistently well over 12 games this season.

He was outstanding on Sunday and Perch was an excellent foil for him as you rightly say. Biggest compliment they can be paid is that we did not miss Cabaye and Tiote.

Not sure about that.